[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hello /his/, i'd like to learn more about buddhism but don't

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 5

File: 5985.jpg (48KB, 696x750px) Image search: [Google]
5985.jpg
48KB, 696x750px
Hello /his/, i'd like to learn more about buddhism but don't really know where to begin, i thought coming here to ask could be a good start
>>
>>1865135
>where to begin
The Pali Canon, generally speaking. Each sect has it's own internal divisions and sometimes text usage (of course the Tibetan Vajrayana schools put all of their tantras into canon, etc.).

Wikipedia can give you a good overview and chapters/books to search for:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/P%C4%81li_Canon#Contents_of_the_Canon

Follow the hotlinks to what looks to pique your interest.
>>
File: Schopenhauer.jpg (14KB, 300x358px) Image search: [Google]
Schopenhauer.jpg
14KB, 300x358px
What do buddhists think of Schopenhauer?
>>
>>1865173
I prefer Schelling, and really every other philosopher of Will. He's not awful but other framers are more in line with my taste.

On the other hand, I'm not even Buddhist and don't particularly like Buddhism, so take my opinion for what it's worth (very little).
>>
>>1865135
I will bump this thread and recommend reading the Lotus Sutra
>>
>>1865173

He's a fine philosopher, but I say that more as a philosophy fan than a Buddhist. I wouldn't venture to connect him to Buddhist philosophy by any greater extent, and I maintain a certain hesitation when western secular philosophers attempt to pigeonhole its tenets, practices and beliefs. I don't mean to sound elitist but they always make a reasonable theoretical interpretation of the basic aspects, but refuse to appreciate the spirit of practice and it's essentiality in understanding the purpose of the philosophy. Like, when people make an effort in condensing Zen philosophy, they often make some mention of the doctrine pointing to a state of mind without mental deliberation or subjective labelling, and concede that this is an accurate enough interpretation to understand the religion. That's a bit like writing a dissertation on the Grand Canyon, or a sport, and believing you don't have to be there in action to understand what it's like. Rather than being a philosophy or approach, Zen -is- the actual experience of that type of transformation. The surrounding philosophy only serves to facilitate the practical process, which happens in a different sphere than that analytical way of thinking. There's no intention to make theoretical arguments about the nature of reality, and when "outsiders" maintain that it does, you can't help but feel they've missed the point.
>>
File: 7qhpv0K.jpg (592KB, 2431x2383px) Image search: [Google]
7qhpv0K.jpg
592KB, 2431x2383px
>>1865135
dont over complicate it. meditate, reflect on some lines from the dhammapada, and most of all, be human, dont be something youre not. if you are angry be angry. forcing yourself isnt real change.
dont refrain from eating meat, eat meat until you come to a realization of what you are eating. then stop. dont force yourself to stop because by doing so you miss out on a lesson that needs to be learned not forced. this goes with everything you do. consider meditating, read the tao de ching/dammapada, watch some videos on buddism origins. and just let it come naturally.
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.