[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What exactly was in the library of alexandria? I know the actual

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

File: images(4).jpg (11KB, 293x172px) Image search: [Google]
images(4).jpg
11KB, 293x172px
What exactly was in the library of alexandria?

I know the actual texts burned, but is there a catalog or something floating around out there?
>>
It was said to have housed 700,000 rolls together with all the books of the Gnostic Basilides, Porphyry’s 36 volumes, papyrus rolls of 27 schools of the Mysteries, and 270,000 ancient documents gathered by Ptolemy Philadelphus.
>>
Is it true that the majority of the library was aristocratic dissertations on the Illiad?
>>
>>1863019
it was when I was there,
It might have changed though
>>
>>1862943
Poor librarians. It must have been utterly devastating to them.
>>
>>1862943
It looked nothing like that
>>
>>1862943
>I know the actual texts burned
Do you?
>>
>>1863097
Fuck them. They were mafia cunts running an IP theft scam. They literally pirated intellectual property. There's a reason it was burned half a dozen times.
>>
>>1864546
this
every boat that came into port was asked to donate any scrolls or volumes they had on board to the library.
if they didnt, and there were writings on board and the library really wanted them, they just took them. sometimes by force.
it mattered not. for the sake o knowlege
>>
>>1864629
They were returned after copying,the library was a research and teaching institution more like a modern university than a modern library. It disseminated knowledge as well as storing it.

At Alexandria Eratosthenes measured the diameter of the Earth, Euclid discovered the rules of geometry, and Archimedes invented the screw-shaped water pump that is still in use today.

Ptolemy wrote the Almagest at Alexandria. It was the most influential scientific book about the nature of the Universe for 1,500 years.
>>
>>1864629
>tfw no violent bibliocracy thirsty for foreign knowledge
Why even read?
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.