[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

When did the "I'm 1/16th Cherokee" meme start?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 2

File: mohegan elders.jpg (45KB, 540x406px) Image search: [Google]
mohegan elders.jpg
45KB, 540x406px
When did the "I'm 1/16th Cherokee" meme start?

Basically white people in the US claiming to have Native America ancestry, which is usually absent. My own family had this meme but when I got my 23andme done I came up as 100% European.
>>
>>1862142

It doesn't come up 100% of the time, but a lot of the time it goes

>Girl hops on the BBC
>Gets knocked up
>Doesn't get an abortion for whatever reason.
>Father, is of course, long gone.
>It's less shameful to say it's an amerindian baby than it is to be a half black baby.
>>
mid 90s when people starting shitting full stop on the "bland" white American entity.
>>
>>1862142
America is really fucking good at removing ethnic/cultural identities.

White people just want to look for a home, some kind of community to belong to. The more exotic, the better.
>>
>>1862142
Probably around when Marlon Brando sent that sexy Indian chick to the oscars for him. Then affirmative action kicked it into overdrive by offering huge incentives for being able to claim tribal identification.
>>
>>1862157
Except the vast majority of those incentives are restricted to those able to actually show a tribal enrollment.
>>
We have this in Australia too. Once saw a pale ginger kid covered in freckles doing some tribal dance with a bunch of half caste aboriginals in high school.

Its not limited to school tho, usually the most effective campaigners for Aboriginal complaining are white people that claim to be some % native.
>>
I live in NYC where it's common to ask people what their ethnic background is. Every bland plane Jane Midwestern transplant chick I talk to jumps at the opportunity to tell me she's 1/32nd Cherokee. Shit's annoying desu.
>>
>>1862142
The cherokee did a lot of blandaing up
>>
>>1862151
This right here. It's a way of signalling that your ancestors were here longer, therefore you have greater standing in society by virtue of having "native born" blood.
>>
I am proud of my Anglo heritage.
>>
Guys, I'm half mexican and my grandpa says that he's Aztec.He's swarthy but not typical mexican brown. Facial features wise, he actually looks amerindian. Is he telling the truth or is he memeing?
>>
>>1862212
Genetic testing is a thing, anon.

Also, there's other tribes in Mexico rather than just Aztec.
>>
>>1862212
Assuming you yourself are not memeing, there's a lot of native american ancestry among latin americans

he probably has some native blood
>>
Because in this sick society belonging to a "victimized" "minority" actually grants social status.
>>
>>1862212
>Aztec.
Does he speak Nahuatl? If he was from Mexico City, or central mexico, maybe. We dont even know who the Aztecs were really. They came from the north, maybe even the american southwest according to some.
>>
>>1862217
I know about genetic testing but I'm too cheap to shell out money for it.
He's from Coalcoman, Michaocan.
>>
>>1862142
>23andme
Good goy, giving up your dna to the jews.
>>
>>1862151
But that doesn't explain the meme. My grandma legit had a portrait photo of some random Indian she said we were descended from. Like OP I did a 23andme and there was zero Injun in my DNA
>>
>>1862239
It's plausable I suppose. But seriously, "mexicans" have some of the most genetic diversity out there. Conquest by europeans did not wipe out native genetic diffrences much.
>>
>>1862253
Maybe she was a massive slut, fucking indians behind her husbands back and just didnt know who the kids father was. Or oral tradition has limits?
>>
>>1862142

American here. My father always repeated the 1/18 cherokee meme. I got AncestryDNA and I'm 100% European too.

I imagine there is a very small amount of Americans that have even a trace of native american ancestry. it's just seen as uncool to be white.
>>
>>1862142
You white people aren't the only people who do this shit. I've seen many black people claim that they're part Cherokee, or part Apache, or whatever sounds cooler. The fact is, most of us only have about 2% Native American in us, or less than that.
>>
If you only had one Native American ancestor 6 generations back or something, their DNA contribution might be too small to detect.
You might be able to see it in your parents or grandparents if it wasn't too far back. Or your parents lied to you as usual.
http://blogs.ancestry.com/ancestry/2014/11/24/ask-ancestry-anne-where-is-my-native-american-dna/
>>
>>1862142
opression olympics, the shittier your ancestors were the more will leftists listen

that's why that meme senator says she has indian blood
>>
>>1862151
/thread.
>>
I'm proud that I have 1/20th Ghenghis Khan genetics inside me.
>>
>>1862151
Everybody wants to look for a home not just white people.
>>
File: aboriginal Australians.png (529KB, 647x468px) Image search: [Google]
aboriginal Australians.png
529KB, 647x468px
>>1862174
>>
NCfag here, a sizeable amount of people around here actually ARE a good chunk Cherokee. Didn't realize people did this elsewhere until I took a trip to NYC and fucking every white guy or gal thinks they're Cherokee. When I ask "what band"? They look very confused
>>
why would anyone even be proud of being a half-breed even if they actually are?
>>
>>1862142
I would assume a family member decides to fake being Cherokee for potential government benefits and other family members believe them. Now imagine several different incidents of this happening.
>>
I have no idea. I actually have Indian relatives. Maybe people want to seem more "American"
>>
>>1862212
faggot bitch.

I'm a real P'urepecha indian.
you, your grandpa and your faggot chicano "WE WUZ AZTECS N SHIET" bullshit can eat a dick

>>1862239
>see you're from Michaocan.
yup that explains it, you're all a bunch of retards.
>>
>>1865249
>Maybe people want to seem more "American"

this.
you can't have white guilt if you're member of the most oppressed people in American history.
>>
My mother has photos of my Great-Great Grandmother on a reservation.

I'm a ginger. The only way you can tell is my fucked up nose.
Thread posts: 36
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.