[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>We set out with the barbarians, and arrived at Sardica,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

File: 1472719429385.jpg (1MB, 2204x1492px) Image search: [Google]
1472719429385.jpg
1MB, 2204x1492px
>We set out with the barbarians, and arrived at Sardica, which is thirteen days for a fast traveller from Constantinople. Halting there we considered it advisable to invite Edecon and the barbarians with him to dinner. The inhabitants of the place sold us sheep and oxen, which we slaughtered, and we prepared a meal. In the course of the feast, as the barbarians lauded Attila and we lauded the Emperor, Bigilas remarked that it was not fair to compare a man and a god, meaning Attila by the man and Theodosius by the god. The Huns grew excited and hot at this remark. But we turned the conversation in another direction, and soothed their wounded feelings; and after dinner, when we separated, Maximin presented Edecon and Orestes with silk garments and Indian gems....
>banter 1500 years ago went too far and almost got this guy and his buds killed at the hands of butthurt barbarians
Got any more interesting first-hand accounts like this, guys?

http://faculty.georgetown.edu/jod/texts/priscus.html
>>
>>1859573
they still worshiped the emperor as a god at this time?
>>
>>1859618
Maybe the pope had declared him a saint?
>>
>>1859646
>and Theodosius by the god
i don't think that implies sainthood
>>
>>1859658
Those were Romans. Maybe they didn't know the difference between a saint and a god? Not like the diffetence is that big.
>>
Christianity, at the time of Atilla, was the state religion but it wasn't yet the majority religion. It was only during the reign of Theodosius I that other religions were outlawed, but just because it was outlawed doesn't mean people stopped practicing the other religions. Hellenism didn't fully die out in Greece, the heartland of the ERE, until the 10th century. And in this early period, though I'm sure if still by the time of Theo II, the Roman armies were mostly pagan. Christianity was mostly an urban thing, with the countryside population, and the soldiers that mostly stayed at the border territories, remaining pagan. It's not too much of a stretch to believe that soldiers out in the field would speak openly about worshipping the emperor or whatever other god.
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.