[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I need to know the name of the style of architecture that was

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 7

File: Case4Item2plymouthctbuilding[1].jpg (167KB, 755x950px) Image search: [Google]
Case4Item2plymouthctbuilding[1].jpg
167KB, 755x950px
I need to know the name of the style of architecture that was used for a lot of buildings in the 1920s, and I'm not talking about Art Deco. I'll post more references after the OP.
>>
>>
>>
File: '20s.png (331KB, 580x498px) Image search: [Google]
'20s.png
331KB, 580x498px
Outlined sections only.
>>
>>1858056
first chicago school, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicago_school_(architecture)
>>
they sure did love the romans, eh?
>>
>>1858094
That's what I was thinking. How about the 1920s "high school style"? I'm not really sure what the name of this one is either.
>>
what are some good books on 20th and 21st century architecture?
>>
File: High school from 1974.jpg (206KB, 1920x500px) Image search: [Google]
High school from 1974.jpg
206KB, 1920x500px
I also need to know the name of the style that was commonly used for office buildings and schools in the 1970s. A few typical features of these buildings are small horizontal windows that almost look like they should belong to a military fortress, and trapezoidal forms being used regularly.
>>
>>1860173
>I also need to know the name of the style that was commonly used for office buildings and schools in the 1970s.

I believe it was called the "I Hate Children" style...
>>
>>1858056
>>1858062
Italianate/Palazzo style
>>1858066
Richardson Romanesque (literally his Marshall Field Building)
>>1858075
Rundbogenstil (Mossehaus)
>>1858151
Collegiate Gothic elements, but also slightly reminiscent of Dutch Baroque
>>1860173
Straight-up brutalist. Linear horizontal windows are known as ribbon windows popularized by Le Corbusier's Villa Savoye.
>>
>>1858094
Chicago school would usually carry the verticality straight to the top floor, and all ornaments not contiguous with structural elements would be excised. Also that cornice and slightly pitched roof is far too antiquated for a Chicago building.
>>
>>1861412
Neat.
>>
>>1858056
It is the rococo style. Duh.
>>
>>1861412
Thanks for the information, Anon.
About that Brutalist school I posted: I actually initially thought that that's what style it was, but then assumed that it had to be something "less specific" the moment I discovered that Google Images really only brings up pictures of "true" Brutalist buildings in a sense, as in those colossal, abstract, unpainted-concrete abominations that you'll never see outside of a big city. I've also never gotten anything but those kinds of buildings out of any other sources that I've come across after looking up Brutalist architecture, either. I was pretty confused for a while, so thanks for clearing things up. I've always had an immense liking towards ribbon windows and other aspects of public buildings built from the '50s to the '70s, by the way. If you grew up in an area with a sizable amount MCM and Brutalist architecture, you probably know about the kinds of unique vibes that they generate.
>>
>>1860173

No windows, prison-like, hmm must be easy being an architect.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.