[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What was the moral virtues and values of European paganism? Do

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 6

File: groid-pagan.jpg (190KB, 826x631px) Image search: [Google]
groid-pagan.jpg
190KB, 826x631px
What was the moral virtues and values of European paganism? Do you think the are superior to our modern ethics?
>>
WE WUZ WHITE PEOPLE BEFORE THE WHITE MAN CORRUPTED US
>>
>>1854432
Depends on what kind of Pagans we are talking about.
>>
File: IMG_9503.jpg (69KB, 564x406px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_9503.jpg
69KB, 564x406px
>If you can't keep your wife and cattle, they're mine buddy.
>>
>>1854432
Is that Hannibal?
I never pictured blonde as his type.
>>
op is jealous
>>
>>1854989
What are those Romans doing outside their own walls?
>>
>>1855024
Its just some retard who doesn't know how to play Rome: Total War
>>
>>1854432
Why is there a white woman in that poster?
>>
>>1855024
Getting stabbed clearly
>>
>>1855032
Because we wuz vikinz.
>>
>>1854989

No society could function that way in practice.
>>
>>1854989
If i recall correctly the pre-Christian Icelanders dissliked thieves about as much as anyone.
>>
>>1855041
The pagans didn't always have what we call societies. They lived in tribes under an alpha male chieftain and conducted raids on other tribes a lot to maintain themselves.
>>
>>1855052
Wasn't that the case in a few Christian societies like Ireland too?
>>
File: IMG_9504.jpg (65KB, 525x330px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_9504.jpg
65KB, 525x330px
>>1855046
>Descendants of Norse men and Irish women captured in raids not liking thieves
>goodkek
>>
>>1855046
It wasnt considered theft if you did it out in the open. It's fascinating to me that violence didn't really bother the Norse but sneakiness was most loathsome to them. As long as you killed someone "honestly" (i.e. in a duel or battle) there was no problem.
>>
>>1854432
First off, calling "paganism" is cringeworthy as that's a term Christians use in order to make these beliefs sound barbaric and uncivilized.

Second, you can't really generalize the belief systems of an entire continent. Sure there's commonalities, but they developed to be distinct from one another.

Thirdly, 'paganism' as we know it wasnt religious in nature. The closest Norse word for religion meant 'tradition'. It wasn't viewed or adhered to in the same sense that Christianity was.
>>
>>1855060
Yeah but Ireland was a unique case as it was never captured and culturally rearranged by the Romans. It converted by was still largely pagan culturally throughout the early middle ages.
>>
>>1855052

A "tribe" is a society. Also I'm pretty sure you're just making shit up.
>>
>>1855064
Everyone have been raiding foreigners whenever possible since forever.
In almost every society there has been a vast difference between looting people from your own group than looting others.
>>
Why is that pic triggering me so much?
>>
>>1855083
because everything there is ahistorical.
>>
>>1855083
Because It's poorly drawn fetish bait?
>>
>>1855075
So Pagans saved civilization.
Also, wasn't the Christian culture based on Roman Pagan ideals?
>>
>>1855078
I know, right? It's like 90% of people posting on /his/ are completly clueless about history, anthropology, archaeology, etc.
>>
>>1855079
>Pagans don't like stealing because they're virtuous except when they stole
>ITS OKAY EVERYONE STOLE BACK THEN
Okay
>>
>>1855095
They made a distinction between kidnapping your future thrall and stealing someone's belongings.
>>
>>1855095
I didn't say anything even remotely close to that. I said they didn't like stealing from each other, stealing from filthy foreigners is a completely different thing.
>>
>>1855087
Not sure how closely Christian culture was modeled off Pagan Roman culture but quite a lot I would imagine.

>>1855098
>>1855099
How can I argue with this logic
>>
>>1855078
This is exactly how the pagan Germanics worked from what I read.
>>
>>1855111
>How can I argue with this logic
By pointing out anything that's wrong in it?
>>
>>1855126
So I guess when if you ever travel to other countries you're gonna start knocking the shit out of random people and steal their money for MUH VIKING HONOR. Of course you wouldn't, you know better than that.
>>
>>1854879
it's actually kind of strange to me that these black supermecists haven't taken the route of pointing out their top athletes and their fine skin as an argument for their supremacy.
>>
>>1855074
Paganism = politeistic religions without clear church structure and canonized religous texts. A reciprocal relationship with the gods (I sacrifice my sheep to you, you don't throw lightning bolts on my house, k?) may also be a deining feature.
>>
>>1854432
Greco-Roman paganism is different from the eastern cults of Cybele, Isis or Mirthas which in turn is different from Germanic paganism, which is different from druidism and so on. Its hardly a monolithic code of ethics.
>>
>>1855138
That argument would actually have had any merit if I said they were better than others, which I didn't.
>>
>>1855199
Yes a lot of pagan cultures employed violence and stealing as a daily part of their lives to meet their needs.
>>
>>1855223
And then some of them continued once Christian. some even adding the hobby of crossing continents just to kill people for having a different faith.
>>
>>1855229
Well guess they're not good Christians then now are they?
>>
File: teutonic-knights.jpg (44KB, 420x271px) Image search: [Google]
teutonic-knights.jpg
44KB, 420x271px
>>1855232
Best Christians if you ask the pope.
>>
>>1855242
The pope is just an old guy with a funny hat. Why would I ask him anything?
>>
>>1855251
This thread seem to be rather focused on the Catholic part of Christianity, no?
>>
>>1855150

It's a supremacy that stems from envy, ignorance, and bitterness. They seem to think that dark skinned people throughout all time have been suppressed by light skinned people. They think the african slave trade that happened a few hundred years ago represents all of human history and so they map the horrors of it onto western culture throughout all time.

I get that people just want to be proud of themselves and their heritage and there is a stain on it in recent history (relatively speaking) but goddamn, most of this we wuz crap is really pitiful and hurts their image more than anything.
>>
>>1855262
Not that I noticed really
>>
>>1855064
>tfw ancestors from county mayo but family is all 6ft+ tall with blonde hair blue eyes

I thoroughly enjoy being a Viking rape baby.
>>
>>1854432
WE
>>
>>1855632

You're a little late on the draw considering the very first reply was WE
>>
>>1855646
VIKANGZ
>>
>>1855265
at least we didn't castrate them like the muslims did
>>
>>1855656

What do you mean "at least"? That probably would've solved all the problems. At least generations of children wouldn't have been born directly into slavery
>>
>>1855150
>fine skin
Is it really any different? Obviously it's going to be easy to see imperfections in the skin when there's no pigment to cover it
>>
File: 1471359639045.png (154KB, 374x321px) Image search: [Google]
1471359639045.png
154KB, 374x321px
>>1855667
yeah, they could have been born in sub-saharan africa
>>
>>1855675

Better there than here
>>
>>1855668

Those athletes get plenty of sun. It's not well known to you light skinned folks but black people tan too and it makes the skin tone etc even out a lot more creating the illusion of 'nice skin'. If you've ever met a black person that hardly gets any sun at all, the skin imperfections show up a lot. Also lotta black people lather themselves in cocoa butter constantly, its like photoshop for real-life.

I ain't even mad, I hate the WE WUZ shit
>>
File: 1472273408841.gif (2MB, 200x172px) Image search: [Google]
1472273408841.gif
2MB, 200x172px
>>1855348

goddamn you, why did I kek?
>>
i am not an expert on this, but i think their morals stemmed from their social expectations rather than from religion.
>>
>>1855684
>better to be born in your own racial ethnic group than inside one of the wealthiest and freest nations to ever exist

wew lad

I am all for racial homogeneity, but really?
>>
>>1859657

I meant better than here during the slave trade, sorry for the confusion
>>
>>1855150
Maybe black supremacists are mostly fat neckbeards.
>>
>>1854432
>moral virtues and values of European paganism?

I assume you mean of the Heathens since you posted a Swedish couple, Loyalty was the prime virtue, as in all warrior societies. Also up there was bravery, boastfulness, generosity, hospitality and vengefulness.
>>
>>1854879
kek
Thread posts: 62
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.