[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is the modern day American opinion of the Korean war, other

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 3

File: 77685-004-B72C9E70.jpg (38KB, 550x437px) Image search: [Google]
77685-004-B72C9E70.jpg
38KB, 550x437px
What is the modern day American opinion of the Korean war, other than:

>"We used to stack fucks like you five feet high in Korea, use you for sandbags"

Seriously, do people even talk about it at all? Do they see it as a mistake, or what?
>>
>>1849770
I lived for a short time in the US, and its really glossed over in comparison to WWII or Vietnam

The impression I got (I had a book on every war the US fought up to Iraq/Afghanistan), in American fashion, they 'won' because the gommies got pushed back from their position around the Pusan Perimeter, and a free Korean Republic based in Seoul was guaranteed
>>
>>1849770

We don't talk about our wars unless we fought other aglos at some point.

In fact i'm pretty sure we don't even consider them wars, just our economy running on schedule.
>>
its overshadowed by Vietnam but the general opinion is that it was a successful defense against communism that secured the existence of south korea, even though they weren't actually free at the time. So in that regard its another example of us supporting a crappy dictatorship because hey atleast they aren't commies, but atleast things turned out mostly ok in the long run for the south. This is in contrast to Vietnam which was an unsuccessful defense against communism.

Also worth mentioning is Truman's rejection of Macarthur's plan to use nuclear weapons against north korea, china, and russia. This action, and Truman's desire to keep the war limited in scope rather than pushing for unconditional surrender of the communists probably prevented ww3.
>>
>>1849770
>do people even talk about it at all?
No.
>>
>>1849807
MacArthur was an absolutemadman.webm
like an Eastern Patton

I don't wanna derail the thread but why did WWII produce such unconventional American commanders?

also, I've noticed the Korean War gets little to no reference in American culture
'Nam and WWII are done to death, Civil War and War of Independence are not ignored, even the Sand & Oil Wars get treatment (I guess that's cause it's most recent/relevant)

but for Korea all I can think of is Gran Torino
This was a war where 300,000 Americans fought. Yea it ended where it started but it was historically important (first proxy war of the Cold War, UN military action)

No surprise, I know that in Korea it's a big big deal...but the reprecussions are still there today with American military presence, this desire to emulate the US, the constant threat of war with the north
Idk, very lopsided imo
>>
>>1849770

It's a pretty big part of any decent American military history course, but it's also easy to see it as just a prologue for Vietnam instead of the transformative war that it was. Any serious look at MacArthur has to touch on it, and General "Iron Tits" Ridgway is rightly considered one of America's greatest Generals because of his leadership there.

It was also extremely short in terms of the actual ground war (as in actively exchanging territory) lasting only ~9 months from escalation to stalemate.
>>
>>1849819
>like an Eastern Patton
Oh, did Patton oversee the largest surrender (Fall of Bataan & Corregidor) and the worst retreat (Chinese counterattack & Bugout Fever) in the United States military?
>>
>>1849819
>also, I've noticed the Korean War gets little to no reference in American culture
>what is MASH

literally one of the most popular shows of all time
>>
>>1849853
>what is MASH
a standin for vietnam, there was very little about the actual korean war in MASH
>>
>>1849819
>don't wanna derail the thread but why did WWII produce such unconventional American commanders?
Because every fucking colonel before the war found himself commanding multiple divisions.
>>
>never heard of that, why should i care about wars between ching-chongs?
>>
>>1849819

The fighting in the Korean War was fairly brief. The US involvement lasted for a few months. While the war itself last longer, the final two years were just border skirmishes and no offensives.

Since we're discussing the Korean War from the perspective of american culture, it's not at all surprising that it takes a back step to WW2 and the Vietnam war. There was a draft, but it was a fairly lenient one compared to other examples. The fighting did not last as long. The casualties were roughly 150,000 as compared to 350,000 for the Vietnam conflict.

The Korean war still exists in Hollywood mythology. Characters in Gran Torino and That 70's Show were depicted as Korean war veterans.

As a last note, it's not surprising that the Korean war is more talked off in Korea than in the US. It is after all the Korean war.
>>
>>1849770
>What is the modern day American opinion of the Korean war, other than:

>Isn't that the war MASH took place in?

It's kind of a forgotten war.
>>
I wish every gook was dead.
>>
File: klinger7.jpg (54KB, 720x480px) Image search: [Google]
klinger7.jpg
54KB, 720x480px
>>1849853
Best girl passing through.
>>
>>1849858
Just because it was historically inaccurate doesn't mean it wasn't about the Korean War.
>>
>>1849770

Everything the US has done since 1776 has been a mistake.
>>
>>1849770

People usually think it was justified because it created South Korea.
>>
>>1849819
>MacArthur was an absolute...

Piece of shit.

But then again, most of our Generals pretty much suck goat ass and don't have the brains to figure out how to get shit done despite having overwhelming superiority in damn near every aspect of combat. Nor do they have the integrity or intestinal fortitude to tell congress and the POTUS to pound sand when they want the military to do stupid shit.

Regardless, Korea is pretty much ignored because it happened before the leftists finally achieved majority control of the U.S. media, and it doesn't further their agenda the way Viet-Nam did / does to this day.
>>
>>1852469
You know Vietnam is one word.
>>
>>1852280
South Korea was a mistake
>>
>>1849770
It's known as the Forgotten War for a reason.
>>
>>1852799

Pretty much this: nobody in America has a strong opinion about Korea except Korean war veterans.
>>
>>1849819
>like an Eastern Patton
MacArthur was only successful against nips sent to emperor mandated starvation posts while he had every advantage from manpower to firepower to supplies.

The guy was a fucking meme
>>
Didn't have the amount of deaths and global attention as WW2 to be a classical heroic war, and didn't have the cultural revolution and apathy of the Vietnam War. I had family members that served in it, and they acted as though it was just some regular combat deployment, and nothing more special than that. I guess it pales in comparison to the Pacific where there wasn't much interesting traveling apart of the combat campaign, with island hopping and meeting peculiar native people on the islands.
>>
>>1849781
Old murikan here - we were always taught it was a "draw".

Also, that basically, a million Chinese armed with broomsticks came at us, and we got tired of turning them into sandbags.

My father was actually enlisted during the Korean war, but he never saw any action.

It was never seen as quite a huge money pit of a mistake as Vietnam, and Mash said pretty much all their was to say about it. It was sad and tragic, but a stalemate, and not nearly the fiasco Vietnam was.

The coverage wasn't nearly as embedded in Korea, so that was a large part of it. We didn't see it "up close and personal" like we did Vietnam.

It also was, of course, much much shorter.

On the other hand, I suppose, if Vietnam never happened, we would look back upon Korea in much the same way. As it is, it was just completely overshadowed by the shitfest that was Nam.
>>
>>1853139
This.

It is worth pointing out that Truman's approval ratings by the end of his term were lower than either Johnson or Nixon's approval ratings at any point in the Vietnam War.

Sending kids home in body bags tends to do that, regardless of whether there's TV footage of it.
>>
>>1849838
One time, Patton illegally shared confidential information in order to falsify a multi-million dollar operation to inflate the usefulness of horse based Cavalry in 1941 in order to secure a promotion.

That's pretty MacArthur like.
>>
>>1849770
It is widely regarded as the forgotten war.
>>
>>1853139
Interested to know how old you are? I keep thinking no one on this board exists beyond the age of 30.
>>
>>1852280
but they failed to make one whole korea goddammit if they had been able to do that then east would be koreas bitch
>>
>>1853482
We're rare, and usually drunk, thus we fit in.

Not actually old enough to remember either war at 44, just closer than most. Though I am personally aware of a 53 year old who also posts on /lit/ from time to time.
Thread posts: 33
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.