[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I think about metal detecting as a hobby. Anyone into this? Care

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: sg.jpg (35KB, 594x420px) Image search: [Google]
sg.jpg
35KB, 594x420px
I think about metal detecting as a hobby. Anyone into this? Care to share your experiences?
Also, are there some things I can do in case I find something important to help the archeologist's?
>>
>Also, are there some things I can do in case I find something important to help the archeologist's?
Just keep your clammy fingers to yourself, do not attempt to clean the item and bring it to professionals
>>
>>1845691
>professionals
Like antique shop owners?
>>
>>1845688
French guy, found a number of baïonettes in the fields surrounding my village ( in Picardy, near the Somme ) and I even found a 50 silver marks coin, with the nazi insigna, dating 1938, in a room of the familial castle, which was occupied by german officers during the war
>>
>>1845734
Thats the reason why I want to start, history tells that there was a french field camp during the napoleonic wars on a field my family owns.
>>
>>1845698
Like your country's version of a National Heritage Center or some shit.
>>
if you want to help archeologists I suggest you look for a university that has a archeological department with a good reputation and contact them if you find anything that might be interesting.
Guess most of the stuff will be useless and not very interesting for them but maybe you find something
>>
>>1845752
Then go for it !
You could even rent the detector, you're not obliged to buy it. My thought is : test it out for a few week-ends, have fun with it, maybe try to get some friends involved, and if you find something, think about making it a durable hobby !
>>
test
>>
>>1845688
If you find anything that might be important, take a photo of the location you found it from multiple directions, make sure you can find it again so if professionals want to go and find the site, they can.
>>
Most reputable metal detector clubs have contacts with archaeologists. You should look up your local club and ask them.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.