[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

The "Jews are rich" meme goes back to the middle ages.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 1

The "Jews are rich" meme goes back to the middle ages.

But were rural Jews actually wealthy in the 19th and 20th centuries?
>>
>>1844179
No. The absolute monarchies of Europe atamped it out, but when Napoleon released Jews upon the continent he awakened the most nefarious force Europe has ever or will ever know.
>>
>>1844179

"Jews are rich/ greedy" goes back to religious views on moneylending.

Christians back in the day believed that demanding interest on loans was usury, a sin. So Christian realms disallowed it for Christians. In turn, Christians rarely engaged in money lending, because it was a risky practice where at best you broke even.

However, this did not hold true for the Jews, who were often exempt from the no-usury rules. So Jews engaged in the practice, usually to their profit.

Naturally, this engendered hatred and envy in a people that were already a lightning rod for such. People ended up in debt to the Jews or simply despised how they seemed to have plenty of wealth while they, good Christians, were broke.

Rural Jews were not special from other faiths/ ethnicities: their wealth was tied to their position.
>>
>>1844213
>However, this did not hold true for the Jews, who were often exempt from the no-usury rules. So Jews engaged in the practice, usually to their profit.
Usury is actually forbidden is the Talmud, but it's only forbidden for Jew on Jew usury, so they made quite a pretty penny from the goyim.
>>
Jewish poverty in London Ghettos is well known.

The Jews are rich meme is literally confirmation bias of the highest order.
>>
In the early modern period eastern europe emerged from the tatar yoke leaving huge swathes of plains open to intensive agriculture, various groups braved the frontier and multiplied, often motivated by religion, so jewish rural communities could gain a foothold here whereas in the densely populated west jews could only preserve their faith in small urban niches or as middle classes more resistant to material pressure to convert.
>>
Ironic how jews in Poland and England were dirt poor from 1100 - 1945 and still get labeled as the rich traders / bankers / guilders whatever
>>
>>1844179
The Jews are rich "meme" goes back further then the Middle ages. Cicero laments about the power the Jews welded in the late Roman Republic, and Julius Caesar actully had the backing of Rome's powerful Jewish community as he ascended to power.
>>
>>1844266
>Cicero laments about the power the Jews welded in the late Roman Republic
I think you're confusing the trouble the Levantines put up with the whole conquest and stuff

And nonetheless no one who know's Roman history cares about what Cicero said after the Catalina conspiracy
>>
>>1844179
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poverty_in_Austrian_Galicia
>>
>>1844273
> And nonetheless no one who know's Roman history cares about what Cicero said after the Catalina conspiracy

You speak for a lot of people, huh?
>>
>>1844283
God that region is so complicated I can't even begin reminding myself of it's change in ownership and population over 500 years
>>
>>1844287
Anon, read a bio about Cicero and you won't need me to tell you why Cicero, after the Catalina Conspiracy, is not regarded in esteem by anyone today, nor back in Republican Rome either
>>
>>1844245
Ashkenazi Jews in America were pretty poor in the early 20th century, except for the German immigrants who arrived in the previous century and made their fortunes.
>>
No. Jewish stereotypes until the late 19th century were largely that Jews were dishonest traveling merchants who would undertake satantic rituals by kidnapping gentile children.

Jews were quite poor, especially in Eastern Europe where they were forced to live in barren settlement regions and were banned from universities/professions. Which of course makes it unsurprising so many joined revolutionary movements.

Jews being RICH and powerful is a 20th century stereotype, and mostly post-WW1 invention when many of the western limitations on Jews were lifted. Before that, it was Jews as greedy but not wealthy.
>>
>>1844289
What change occurred in population?
>>
>>1844349
>Galicia (Ukrainian: Гaличинa, Halychyna; Polish: Galicja; Czech: Halič; German: Galizien; Hungarian: Galícia/Kaliz/Gácsország/Halics; Romanian: Galiția/Halici; Russian: Гaлиция, Galitsiya; Rusyn: Гaличинa, Halychyna; Slovak: Halič; Yiddish: גאַליציע, Galitsye)

Galicia / Volnyia / Ruthenia, way too much shit going on to digest anonkun
>>
>>1844179

Why are you specifying *rural* jews?

>hey guys, are short people actually tall?
>>
>>1844295
Pretty sure Cicero mentioned the jews before the conspiracy, so your irrational remark that "no one cares about one of the Roman Republic's greatest statesman after the catilinarian conspiracy" doesn't really hold water .
>>
>>1844373
Because conditions were presumably different in cities where Jews were likely to engage in business?
>>
>>1844338
>were banned from universities/professions
Could you elaborate more Anon? I though Jews were always part of the academic elite in Europe.
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.