[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

This week is fall break for me, and I am going to get tomorrow-Sunday

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

This week is fall break for me, and I am going to get tomorrow-Sunday off from school. I have never read the works of the Greek philosophers, such as Plato, Aristotle etc, so I figure that this week would be a good time to sit down and do it.

What do you guys recommend? I will read literally anything. I am at my Uni's library as I write this, so whatever you recommend I will check out.
>>
Uni students get a fall break these days unrelated to Thanksgiving?

Lazy shits. Back in my day...
>>
>>1842940
Well I want to use this time to train my brain, so recommend some literature.
>>
>>1842923
>trying to read all that shit in one week
Unless you are very familiar with the way philosophy books are written you are probably gonna quit by wednesday evening, especially with platos shit which requires you to digest it properly
>>
>>1843047
This. It's dry unless you understand to appreciate it.

I recommend reading diogenes or some other cynic since it's entertaining.

If you're up for an audible book try the Great Courses lectures on The Republic. Probably the best explanation of that thing I've ever heard.
>>
Grab a copy of Plato, preferably the Jowett translation, and read the Apology, the Crito, the Phaedo, and the Symposium. Then have a couple of beers.
>>
>>1843781
This. I'd recommend reading Aristophanes' The Clouds before Apology since Socrates references it and it's probably the only way most of his jury knew him. Plus there are a lot of fart and dick jokes in it.
I'd recommend the works of Epicurus, Epictetus, and Seneca (he's Roman, but still Stoic) to get the more "how to live your life well" side of Greek philosophy, and they're relatively short reads.

>Epicurus' letter to menoeceus
http://classics.mit.edu/Epicurus/menoec.html

>the Stoic handbook by Epictetus
http://classics.mit.edu/Epictetus/epicench.html

Have fun!
>>
>>1842923

Depends

If you are new to Philosophy in general then go for a short Plato work like >>1843781 suggested.

If you are experienced in Philosophy and want something a bit more challenging just pick up what Aristotle wrote on your favorite sub-discipline of Philosophy.

Some secondary literature to reference for when you don`t understand something would be helpful as well.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.