[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

did Germany get off lightly compared to Austria-hungry and the

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 8

File: old world blues.png (10KB, 244x207px) Image search: [Google]
old world blues.png
10KB, 244x207px
did Germany get off lightly compared to Austria-hungry and the Ottomans? They retained most of their territory, while the other two disintegrated.
>>
You kind of answered your own question.

Both sides were so exhausted by war that there was no political will to punish the Germans.

The inter-war period is an excellent case study in how a democracy can win a war and then lose the peace.
>>
I don't know about this one. Here's what I think:

Germany lost its honor. They were the rising star with future plans, whereas Austria-Hungary and the Ottomans were collapsing and on their way out. This made it a lot easier for Hitler to come about and say Versailles was to harsh. Germans also had really embraced a German identity, whereas Austria-Hungary and the Ottomans were full of squabbling ethnic groups who wanted independence from each other, whereas Germany saw a united future.
>>
>>1840429
> The inter-war period is an excellent case study in how a democracy can win a war and then lose the peace.

For what countries specifically?
>>
>>1840422
Germany was allowed to retain territory so they could pay 'reparations' to the warmongers that benefited most from the Great War. Germany made the last payment on this about four years ago.
>>
>>1840422

Germany was filled with Germans, you couldn't really divide it up into a bunch of little ethnostates like what happened to Austria-Hungary.
>>
>>1840878
Some separatism existed in the South and in the Rhineland.
Also that "Germany" was still mostly a collection of separate states.
>>
>>1840509
No, reparations were cancelled. You are thinking of loan repayments on which the Germans, being untrustworthy and belligerent, defaulted.
>>
>>1840878
It was literally a bunch of little states less than 50 years earlier.
>>
File: oswald mosley.jpg (63KB, 394x379px) Image search: [Google]
oswald mosley.jpg
63KB, 394x379px
>>1840422
this. I don't get why they call the treaty of versialles harsh.
It was too soft in my oppinion
>>
>>1840934
>tfw Mosley didn't seize the chance to disown and condemn Hitler and Mussolini before the war
>>
>>1840422
The German Army was still formidable.
>>
>>1840927
Sounds like the Jews
>>
File: Deutscher_Bund_1.png (1MB, 1280x1399px) Image search: [Google]
Deutscher_Bund_1.png
1MB, 1280x1399px
>>1840878
>you couldn't really divide it up into a bunch of little ethnostates

You could've returned it to pre-unification.
>>
>>1840947
German Army? Formidable? In November 1918? It was anything but.
>>
>>1840952
How divided must you keep a people who wants to be united? Your sickening desire to destroy the German nation is disturbing.
>>
>>1840952
Overthrowing the German monarchy only to reduce it to feudal fiefdoms seems like a massive step backward.
>>
>>1840429
>he believes Versailles wasn't hard enough
>>
>>1841736
But OP quite hit the nail on it's head, the alliedfaggots are victorious but exhausted as fuck.

If we go by French butthurt and go EXTRA VERSAILLES X10 IN HARSHNESS, the only likely result would be Germany twice as angry as what happened IRL and the allies still would not be able to stop the rearmament.

Just look at France's shitshow in Turkey to see how much they would stop ex-Central Powers from fucking up Post-WWI treaties.

The only reason why the Cold War partition of Germany worked was because superpowers that were largely intact after the war policed Germany: USA and the USSR.
>>
>>1840422
Yes.

It was actually easy to divide Germany since it didn't really exist for a long time, it was artificial.

French had the right idea, but the British sympathisers of the germans denied it.
>>
>>1841776
>It was actually easy to divide Germany since it didn't really exist for a long time, it was artificial.
You seem to forget that Germany was created out of populist nationalism.
>>
>>1841792
Don't conflate proper history with their degenerate masturbatory fantasies.
>>
>>1840422
The Ottomans was already disintegrated by the end of the war, it's not like the Entente could be arsed to put it all back together again and it's not clear whether they could have succeeded had they tried.
>>
>>1840422

Germany lost a lot of territory, just most of it was overseas.

They lost little of the European holdings because other nations/people had few legitimate claims on their country. The winners wanted money more than they wanted new territories filled with bitter Germans wanting to reannex to Germany.

Heck, the French even tried it with the Saar, and the first chance they had they voted to return to German control.

The Ottomans were doomed to fragmentation by Britain's war policies and ally-seeking, not to mention its own mismanagement. I know a bit less about Austria-Hungary's situation, but delegates at Versailles made a lot of convincing arguments and I think Austria was essentially weary of the whole imperial matter and didn't fight that hard to retain its non-Germanic lands. Hungary, if I recall correctly, was a bit more bitter about losing so much of their kingdom, but didn't really have a leg to stand on anymore.
>>
File: Deutsche_Dialekte_1910.png (193KB, 1627x1181px) Image search: [Google]
Deutsche_Dialekte_1910.png
193KB, 1627x1181px
>>1840422
Let's see what could have happened:

>all of Upper Silesia annexed by Poland intead of just some border areas
>Masuria also annexed by Poland
>Saarland directly annexed by France instead of being made a protectorate
>independent Lusatia or annexed by Czechoslovakia
>Denmark taking all of Holstein not just the plebiscite area

And all these are just the lands that could have been taken by the neighbors. What could have also happened was independent Bavaria, Rhineland, Hessen, Baden, Württemberg, Saxony....
or just split the remaining Germany in two competing states
>Protestant North Germany
>Catholic South Germany

Saying Versailles was "harsh" is absurd.
>>
>>1842238
>Heck, the French even tried it with the Saar, and the first chance they had they voted to return to German control.
The French didn't really "try" anything, that the Saarbeckengebiet would be governed as an allied protectorate and then decide its future 15 years afterwards was the plan right off the bat.
>>
>>1842255

Which is basically what I said.
>>
>>1842325
Yes, except the whole "French tried taking territory" thing.
>>
>>1842340

You're splitting hairs while in full agreement with me, bud. I don't know if it's just general internet contrarianism or you wanted to express your knowledge on the subject and didn't know how else. You don't have to try to disagree with me somehow to do that.

I stand by my words. The French did try, not as a direct land grab, but rather as an optimistic plan in bring the Saar into the fold, thinking they would come around to French governing. I won't debate the meaning of the word "try" any further with you, but I fully welcome any elaborating discussion or genuine disagreement.
>>
>>1840422
Versailles was extremely lenient
Just compare it to Post-WW2 peace that left Germany under never ending military occupation (still applied nowdays) and divided in two parts until 1990

There's a reason why Germans were never able to chimp out again
>>
Why the fuck did Denmark get given German territory? They were fucking neutral!
>>
>>1841749
>the only likely result would be Germany twice as angry as what happened IRL and the allies still would not be able to stop the rearmament

Just like partitioning Germany, raping hundreds of thousands of their women, and then occupying them for 40 years caused the Germans to start another war, but when Germany actually defeated and occupied France, they quieted down and didn't start any more trouble.
>>
File: 1466202860330.jpg (138KB, 1016x439px) Image search: [Google]
1466202860330.jpg
138KB, 1016x439px
>>1842760
>raping hundreds of thousands of their women
rapes are a post-war lie to justify german women whoring themselves with the Soviets
>>
File: German women WW2 1945.jpg (96KB, 1006x603px) Image search: [Google]
German women WW2 1945.jpg
96KB, 1006x603px
>>1842769
>>
>>1842754
Maybe because it'd been Danish territory not even 50 years prior?
>>
>>1841736
Versailles wasn't hard enough, Germany should have been wiped off the map
>>
>>1840422

Indeed

The Sarre and more globally the whole Rhenania belong to France
>>
File: 1465079298585.jpg (147KB, 941x625px) Image search: [Google]
1465079298585.jpg
147KB, 941x625px
>>1842238
>was a bit more bitter about losing so much of their kingdom, but didn't really have a leg to stand on anymore.

Yeah Hungary was full of ethnicities so it has weaker claim on most of the land, but it was still far too much humiliating, just look at this map, there were 3 million Hungarians in the red places, 2 million right next to the borders in cities.
>>
>>1840422

>UK wants to punish Germany to teach her a lesson, but also wants to make sure a continued peace can continue, USA doesnt really care or see the big deal about punishing Germany, and France wants to utterly destroy Germanys economy for ever so she remains in the ditch of history

So why was Hitler quick to blame the jews instead of the eternal frog?
>>
>>1841749
USSR was anything but largely intact after the war. It was the country that lost most people (30 million) and fought the largest and bloodiest theatre of the war.
>>
>>1840422
Looking at the way a lot of European countries turned to fascism, the reason it took place was not completely German so this was not the main course
>Hungary
>Croatia
>Italy
>Spain
Thread posts: 41
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.