[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is The History of the Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire still

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

File: decline-of-roman-empire.jpg (472KB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
decline-of-roman-empire.jpg
472KB, 1280x960px
Is The History of the Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire still the go to book with regards to the transition from the Classical Era to the Post-Classical one?
>>
>>1839411
No
>>
>>1839411
>not getting all of your information, political opinions, and social commentary from guns, germs, and steel
>>
File: police.jpg (88KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
police.jpg
88KB, 1280x720px
>>1839630
>>
>>1839411
No it's fairly outdated. Still an entertaining read tho
>>
Is it still the go-to book? No, absolutely not.

While it was incredibly well put together and researched, it has shown its age, and some of his claims were just really retarded and biased.

However, it is still a very entertaining read, and useful if you want to know the basics of what happened and how it contributed to other things happening. Just don't read too into it, because some of the claims he tries making are a little silly.
>>
>>1839411
It goes into the category of books that tell you so much more about thevery time and circumstances. It was written in than the history it was writing about, that said absolutely worth reading.
>>
>>1839411
Its worth reading in the same way occult grimoires are worth reading, as a way to understand the spirit and mood of the time period they were written.
>>
>>1840350
name literally two silly claims

hard mode: the claims can't be something that politically upset you
>>
>>1841071
1. Organized christianity caused the downfall of the roman empire. We now know it was an unsuccessful attempt to prevent the fall instead, and delayed that fall.
2. The fall of the roman empire ended civilization in Europe for centuries. We now know it ended centralization, but sophistication remained present, just spread out thinner.
>>
I don't know, is Hippocrates's Four Humours still the go to theory for medicine?

Stupid shit.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.