[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Not sure if this is better for /k/, but I'm going to try

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3

File: Help wanted.jpg (20KB, 338x264px) Image search: [Google]
Help wanted.jpg
20KB, 338x264px
Not sure if this is better for /k/, but I'm going to try here first.

What was the advantage of bronze weaponry as opposed to earlier stone/flint weaponry? I mean, every culture I'm aware of made the shift almost as soon as they got bronze working, so it seems to have been a pretty good one, but mechanically, how is bronze better than flint? Is it sharper? More durable? Better at punching through armor? If I've got a bronze spearhead, what can I do with it that I couldn't do with a flint spearhead?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>>
>>1838284
It's bigger and stronger.
>>
>>1838284

It's hard to make a stone sword.

Bronze. Not so much.
>>
>>1838284

It's not brittle and it isn't as heavy.
>>
>>1838375

Bronze is significantly denser than most forms of stone.
>>
>>1838284
Bronze is sharper, less brittle, and harder than stone. The fact that it's less brittle not only means that it's more durable in battle, but also that you can shape it much more easily. You can hammer and bend a piece of bronze into a sword. If you hammer a stone, you just get lots of little stones.
>>
>>1838284
well you can hardly have a steady production of flint swords now can you
>>
>>1838284
A flint spearhead will shatter if you try to drive it into a bronze plate. A bronze spearhead will not, and may even penetrate. A bronze spearhead will also perform sinificantly better against boiled leather (which is extremely tough).
>>
>>1838284
Bronze, like most metals, will take an edge--i.e., it can be sharpened. And, of course, it's a lot easier to shape metal than it is stone, once you know how to make a sufficiently hot fire.
>>
File: Stone Halberds.png (72KB, 763x478px) Image search: [Google]
Stone Halberds.png
72KB, 763x478px
>>1838284
>I'm aware of made the shift almost as soon as they got bronze working
Japan missed out and spent the entire BCs in the stone age. Went straight into using bronze and steel at the same time actually by the 200s BC. Though metal tools and weapons will only be common by 200s AD.

The only fucking Eurasian entity to nearly miss metalworking.
>>
File: 1468787664243.jpg (46KB, 524x526px) Image search: [Google]
1468787664243.jpg
46KB, 524x526px
>>1841155
What the actual fuck dude. Omg Japs btfo
>>
>>1841155
>The Jōmon period lasted until 300 BC and, towards the end of the period, the Japanese archipelago experienced the introduction of bronze and iron simultaneously. Bronze and iron smelting techniques spread to the Japanese archipelago through immigration and trade from the Korean peninsula and the Chinese mainland

>Meanwhile Bronzeworking in Subsaharan Africa was present around the 1000-800s BC
LITERALLY WORSE THAN AFRICA.
GOTTA SHOW THIS TO THE WEEABS.
>>
>>1841155
Does Japan have a hobby of spending centuries in isolation and stagnation and then making up for it in one century? Are they a civilization of crammers?
>>
>>1838410

Due to its metallic nature though, the tools and weapons are much thinner than their stone counterparts.
>>
>>1841155
Jesus Christ Japan.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.