[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How different would America be if the Vikings successfully colonized

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 5

File: They come.jpg (56KB, 640x478px) Image search: [Google]
They come.jpg
56KB, 640x478px
Simple question, but one I've been wondering about for a while. How different would the culture be of the Americas be if the Vikings never left, and managed to grow and spread out over the continent?
>>
>>1837794

By today there would be hardly any difference. The Norse lacked the manpower to colonise, and the flood of emigrants from Europe would still happen and would still swamp the Norse culture. I could see a Quebec style "Norse Westfall" but the dominant culture was always going to be generic Western European because those countries are closest.
>>
The Injuns would have gotten horses 5 centuries earlier, so that might have changed the situation. As >>1837802 said the Norse didn't have the manpower to colonise much anyway.
>>
>>1837828
>>1837802
How unfortunate.
It would've been nice to have seen them expand over the continent, but I guess a Quebec-style state isn't so bad.
>>
>>1837794
I'm writing an alternate history of it. But there's very little incentive for them to have done so at that point and time. Ultimately what I came down to is that the Norse only needed to substantially colonize (500+) Newfoundland for it to go anywhere. Even then in my time line they've only spread to the whole of the island by around 1350, while low German traders found a small port exporting cod and other goods on the east coast of the island.
>Small trading community of Low German-norse extraction settles in Nova Scotia around 1420
>they eventually encounter Cabot, and Carbonariis stays with them
>jump starts English colonization

>Small Norse fort on mainland Quebec attacks as a center of pirates raiding Basque fishing vessels and explorers
>French under Cartier seize it

Essentially I could not in any realistic way see it as happening much differently than this; simply giving European powers a slight boost and base to speed up their colonization and exploration efforts
>>
>>1837887
>I'm writing an alternate history of it.

Here a What-If I wrote, or at least the Point of Departure and an outline;

The Viking Kingdoms Of Ferskvann Sjoen

1000 A.D. - the Viking colonists and some visiting traders at the L'Anse aux Meadows
settlement in Newfoundland, eat some bad mushrooms and collectively hallucinate Odin
ordering them to leave the settlement and move inland to the "Ferskvann Sjoen" [1] and
the entire settlement [2] packs up all their stuff and sails up the St.Lawrence River.

When Viking traders from Greenland arrive some months later, they find the settlement
abandoned and figure the Skrælings killed everybody and leave, never to return to
N.America as per the Original Timeline.

Meanwhile, the Vikings from L'Anse aux Meadows make their way up the St.Lawrence
River, thru Lake Ontario, portaging the Niagara Falls and thru Lake Erie, up past OTL
Detroit and thru Lake Huron to settle on Mackinaw Island and by the grace of the Gods,
[3] all off them survive and a new settlement is begun on the island.

While the Vikings are initially wary of the Skrælings and vice versa, they manage
to avoid any serious conflicts and inevitably, Viking men take Indian brides and the
settlement soon has enough people to maintain an effective population size.

As the years go by, the Vikings eventually expand, [4] forming new settlements along
the shores of OTL Michigan, Ontario and Wisconsin, etc. using their ships and boats
on the lakes and rivers to maintain contact and trade with their growing communities
but other then a few scattered trading forts elsewhere in N.America, generally not
settling outside of the Great Lakes basin due to religious taboos deriving from the
earlier hallucination event.

Fast-forward to October 2, 1535 A.D. - On his 2nd voyage to the New World, Jacques
Cartier lands at the Iroquois settlement of Hochelaga (OLT Montreal) and is shocked
discover several Viking traders there.
>>
File: Great Lakes basin.jpg (675KB, 1650x1275px) Image search: [Google]
Great Lakes basin.jpg
675KB, 1650x1275px
>>1838752
>As the years go by, the Vikings eventually expand, [4] forming new settlements along
>the shores of OTL Michigan, Ontario and Wisconsin, etc. using their ships and boats
>on the lakes and rivers to maintain contact and trade with their growing communities
>but other then a few scattered trading forts elsewhere in N.America, generally not
>settling outside of the Great Lakes basin due to religious taboos deriving from the
>earlier hallucination event.
>>
File: mudcakes_viking_indian.jpg (143KB, 584x389px) Image search: [Google]
mudcakes_viking_indian.jpg
143KB, 584x389px
>>1838752

[1] Fresh Water Sea = The Great Lakes

[2] from Wiki: "There is no way of knowing how many men and women lived at the site
at any given time, however archaeological evidence of the dwellings suggest it had the
capacity of supporting 30 to 160 individuals."

Lets say it's 200 people total, 150 men and 50 women and all their tools, animals, seeds,
ships and boats, etc.

[3] They got lucky

[4] Absorbing some Indian tribes, wiping out others but I'd guess Old World diseases
introduced by the Vikings would have taken out of most of them as in OTL, though
probably not as badly.
>>
If the Normans conquer England, I can see a fuckton of Anglo-Saxons and Anglo-Danes (particularly from Northumbria) flee to the New World. The Anglo-Saxons fled to Ireland, Scotland, Scandinavia, and Byzantium in the aftermath of Hastings. Instead of 100,000 people dying in the Harrying on the North, imagine if all of them shuttled across the Atlantic? Throw in Edgar Atheling and other leading members of the pre-Conquest nobility, you can set up a New England in North America.

It'd be deliciously ironic if 16th century English explorers encountered the descendants of these Anglo-Saxon refugees (along with Scandinavians) who've mixed with the indigenous tribes and kept up to date with the latest in European tech. LOL, the Anglo-Saxon royalty would probably sneer and view the Tudors and Stuarts as "the Bastard of Normandy's line" and 1500s Englishmen as Norman rape babies.
>>
>>1838752
>>1838759
Neat
>>
Vikings would racemix with Aztecs resulting in a monstrosity that would consume the world.
>>
File: Mackinac_Island.png (247KB, 545x600px) Image search: [Google]
Mackinac_Island.png
247KB, 545x600px
>>1838752
>to settle on Mackinaw Island and by the grace of the Gods, all off them survive and a new settlement is begun on the island.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.