[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How did networks in the Late Roman and Early Medieval world function

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 3

File: Wallpapers 1920x1080.jpg (753KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Wallpapers 1920x1080.jpg
753KB, 1920x1080px
How did networks in the Late Roman and Early Medieval world function in practice? How and by what were they bound together, that is, how were the networks constituted, and who or what was being connected by them? How did their members benefit from the networks they belonged to, and what was the nature of those benefits? What do they reveal about daily life in the early medieval world, and about individual experience(s) at the various levels of society (among elites, ordinary people, the educated, clergy, laity, etc.)?
>>
>>1837351
>Early Medieval

Lots and lots of gift giving.
>>
>>1837351
Is this bergen? Looks amazing
>>
>>1837358
But that was the basis of the patron-client network in Roman life, no? This must've changed in the breakdown of Roman civ
>>
>>1837367
Heidelberg, Germany. In the Southwest in the state of Baden-Wurtemburg.
>>
>>1837369
I don't know shit about Romans but IIRC patrons usually dispensed money (?) whereas I'm thinking of jewelry, swords, and other valuable, labor-intensive artifacts. Or land or animals.
>>
>>1837351

Ties of blood and personal acquaintance. This is largely why dynastic marriages were so important, they forged new ties between regions which stimulated the economy.
>>
File: dreku.jpg (34KB, 419x354px) Image search: [Google]
dreku.jpg
34KB, 419x354px
>>1837372
>Germany.
>churches but no mosqs
>>
>>1837392

What about religious networks with the rise of christianity? I have to write a paper along these lines in a couple weeks and I'm thinking about working in the religious angle. Many of my primary docs are religious
>>
>>1837401
Fuck off tripfag
>>
>>1837401
Hi there!

You seem to have made a bit of a mistake in your post. Luckily, the users of 4chan are always willing to help you clear this problem right up! You appear to have used a tripcode when posting, but your identity has nothing at all to do with the conversation! Whoops! You should always remember to stop using your tripcode when the thread it was used for is gone, unless another one is started! Posting with a tripcode when it isn't necessary is poor form. You should always try to post anonymously, unless your identity is absolutely vital to the post that you're making!

Now, there's no need to thank me - I'm just doing my bit to help you get used to the anonymous image-board culture!
>>
File: heidelberg mosche.jpg (121KB, 1024x655px) Image search: [Google]
heidelberg mosche.jpg
121KB, 1024x655px
>>1837406
nvm, I found it :^)
>>
>>1837419
neck urself my senpai
>>
>>1837424
Ignore him
>>
>>1837405
Very important as church officials would judge canon law suits and nobles got caught in sinful tomfoolery pretty often. The same gift-giving applies, think altarpieces, and families would also send their spares into the church.

The church and lay religious organizations would be very important sources of community for lay people, too. Also important as the great continental book club; Iceland apparently converted for this reason.
>>
>>1837509
Thanks, this is what I'm looking for. With these religious networks, there would be both horizontal (co-dependent) and vertical (higher-ups), right? How did they actually function in the time? How would the commoners/nobles use the church connection?
>>
>>1837351
Noice, I can see the house i live in.
>>
>>1837530
Well, the church itself had a pretty definite hierarchy that shouldn't be hard to look up in your time/place. Otherwise shit varied a lot and renaissance art history is my specialty anyways so I'm hesitant to say much about the specifics. But religious artworks in churches were pretty reliably gifts from the local gentry, so if there's good records for that kind of stuff in your area, you may be able to pin down specific relationships.
>>
>>1837552
Wo wohnst du meinen Freund?
>>
>>1837608
Da hinten an der Theodor-Heuss-Brücke
>>
>>1837663
Im 2017 ich studiere bei die Uni in Heidelberg
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.