[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

When did you realize 9th century Europe was basically the Cold

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3

File: cold war comparison.png (1MB, 1232x849px) Image search: [Google]
cold war comparison.png
1MB, 1232x849px
When did you realize 9th century Europe was basically the Cold War?

The West was
>Decentralized
>Dominated by nobility
>Vaguely democratic
>Generally anti-peasant

The East was
>Centralized
>Dominated by bureaucrats
>Undemocratic and autocratic
>Generally pro-peasant

Both states were massive rivals seeking dominance over Europe, with unlikely allies outside Europe. The relationship between the Charlemagne and the Abbasids is remarkably similar to the relationship between the US and China during the Cold War. Similarly, the Byzantine Empire propped up the Muslim state on Charlemagne's doorstep just like how the Soviets supported cuba.
>>
>>1836951
>cordoba califate was under byzantine influence
wtf nigga
>>
>>1836961
They actually had very friendly diplomatic relations and an informal alliance
>>
>>1836951
This post has lots of bullshit but this one is the greatest

>the west was democratic
>9th century
>>
>>1836951
It wasn't. Everything you wrote is 100% wrong.
>>
>>1836951
>Similarly, the Byzantine Empire propped up the Muslim state on Charlemagne's doorstep just like how the Soviets supported cuba.

Can you develop that statement? First time hearing something like that.
>>
>>1836951
>"""""the west"""""
>"""""the east""""
>as if they were monolithic.
Fuck. Off.
>>
File: more honorable turk.jpg (17KB, 229x220px) Image search: [Google]
more honorable turk.jpg
17KB, 229x220px
bump
>>
>>1836951
Where is Great Moravia?
>>
File: peasant.png (338KB, 778x658px) Image search: [Google]
peasant.png
338KB, 778x658px
>>1836951
>The West was
>>Generally anti-peasant

How do you figure?

Peasants in Western Europe (more so in pagan Eastern Europe) in the 800s had all kinda freedoms and political standing, it wasn't until later that they became more and more subject to the local lords.
>>
>>1836951
Wrong, wrong and wrong again.

-The West were mostly statelets battling each other.
-The East technically includes pagan entities which didn't even qualify as feudal states, let alone centralized ones.
-Bureaucrats were a thing only in the Sasanid Empire, everyone else lacked of them.
-Desperately projecting democracy, even in its barest form, onto places where it does not belong will not make you look better.
>>
>>1836951
I really enjoy the post-Roman and pre-Crusades era of Europe. Charlemagne, the advent of the Avars, Bulgars, and Magyars, Byzantium's resurgence, the Viking invasions, the explosion of Islam, al-Andalus and the beginnings of the Reconquista, the Anglo-Saxon kingdoms, the Normans and the Rus setting up shop.

Why doesn't this get more attention in media? It's either the Roman Empire or the High/Late Middle Ages (basically 1096 to 1453). It boggles my mind that we haven't had a big-budget Charlemagne mini-series. Along with Napoleon, he was the greatest figure of France to even have a whole epoch revolve around his reign.

I'm glad that the Vikings show on History and The Last Kingdom gave the Anglo-Saxons some good exposure, but we need more. El Cid's exploits are easily adaptable for TV as well as the soldier-emperors of Byzantium in the 10th and 11th centuries. Or the Norman conquest of southern Italy and Sicily. That shit deserves more love than the Conquest of England.
>>
>>1839119
Indeed.
>>
>>1837951
Non aligned movement
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.