[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How did Dawkins was able to coin concept of the memes, arguably

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 6

File: o-RICHARD-DAWKINS-facebook.jpg (134KB, 1536x1024px) Image search: [Google]
o-RICHARD-DAWKINS-facebook.jpg
134KB, 1536x1024px
How did Dawkins was able to coin concept of the memes, arguably the most used idea of our time, but professional modern philosophers failed to do their direct job and come up with something new, equally important, easy to understand, but pretty deep idea that really could impact people minds?
>>
File: birdman-1.jpg (13KB, 350x267px) Image search: [Google]
birdman-1.jpg
13KB, 350x267px
>get shitfaced at the lab one night
>scribbling in your notebook
>try to write "genes" but youre helen keller level drunk and it goes horribly wrong
>months pass
>deadline for new book is coming up
>tfw you blew the advance as soon as you got it and forgot to write anything
> smash together some notes, mail them off to your publisher, and call it a day
>a couple months go by
>your book comes out
>a new meme is born

>
>>
Memes are lazy and don't encourage original thought. It is like that kid at school who would steal your jokes but say them louder.
>>
File: 1469154042499.jpg (2MB, 1920x2560px) Image search: [Google]
1469154042499.jpg
2MB, 1920x2560px
>>1833738
Memes in Dawkins' sense are to culture what genes are to biology. Every idea is a meme, and how successful they are depends on how often they're replicated/repeated. The words and letters I used to type this are successful memes. My opposable thumbs are the manifestation of successful genes.
>>
I think it's a lot like the concept of evolution. People saw it all around them, but were unable to see it clearly until someone really studied it and broke it down.

Not unlike the people who were around Darwin, all of society around Dawkins was too memed to even see the memes that were meming them.
>>
>>1833738
I agree with what you said, but it is still pretty mind-blowing that no one else was able to translate that concept into a single word before Dawkins.
>>
maybe in philosophy, or generally, among intellectuals, there was this dichotomy:
>clichés - concepts
where concepts were the work of philosophers, and clichés were just lazy thoughts, thoughtless thoughts of the masses.
Dawkins found a new non-judgemental, purely descriptive term for the same thing.
Flaubert wrote a "dictionnaire des idées reçues" (dictionary of received ideas) already in the 19th century, those were memes in the bad sense of the words.
>>
A friendly reminder that Dawkins never made up the word 'meme' or do anything significant in science.

The word 'meme' stems from 'memetic' which was already in existence years before his book.

Second of all, his book has been widely criticised and debunked by many scientists since rendering it entirely irrelevant, not to mention the fact he actually completely misunderstood the concept of memetic theory or the works that were being written on it a decade before.
>>
Memetics is actually a load of horseshit
>>
>>1833921
yet most people believe otherwise and thats what really matters at the end of the day.
>>
>>1833946
Yeah, the unwashed masses matter, lol! Dawkins will become irrelevant, just like every other one of these pseudo-popular thinkers, because at the end of the day, what matters are the universities and who professors and journals choose to publish their papers on.

They won't publish papers on an undisputable hack like Dawkins which has done nothing original, they'll do it with less popular thinkers with original ideas, and although they may not be known now during their lifetime, they will be known upon their death.

It isn't your pop culture that matters, retard, how many people still listen to Rihanna's 'Umbrella'?

Exactly.

What matters are the critics and the critics are educated in the history of these matters and they will decide what is taught in universities, they will decide on what debates are held, and they will ensure your hack of a writer Cuckins won't get into the canon.

Or do you still read the books of mr christopher hitchens? I very much doubt it.
>>
>>1833782
>What is a trend
>What is a fad
>>
>>1833669

>what is semiology
>what is epistemiology
>what is semantics
>what is postmodernism
>what is sign and signifier
>who is marshall mecluhan
>who is jean baudrillard
>who is umberto eco
>wh

no, seriously, get out
>>
>>1833963
I think you need to divorce yourself from your emotions.
>>
File: 1476111370394.png (182KB, 477x768px) Image search: [Google]
1476111370394.png
182KB, 477x768px
>yfw when 80% of /pol/ wouldn't exist without the invention of notepad and ms paint
>>
>>1833769
good meme
>>
>How did Dawkins was able to coin concept of the memes, arguably the most used idea of our time,
I hate the Internet because it's like a peer review session in a high school Inglesh class.
>>
Better question. Why are so many people so trusting of image macros, copy and pasted walls of text, and memes?

Why is there a tendency to distrust traditional sources of information but then just kowtow to memes and spam? Atleast amongst a decent amount of people
>>
What I don't understand is if God is a meme, and a very succesful one, seeing as it is so widespread on time and place, why would he want to oppose it? If memes are the cultural analogues of genes, and if the study of memes is to be as scientific and objective as that of genes, why the bias? In biology if you were to propose the eradication of a certain gene wouldn't you be called an eugenicist? Why is it okay to advocate for the eradication of a certain meme? Again biologists view genetics from a neutral perspective, there are no good and bad genes, there are those that are replicated and those that are not. But Dawkins and and his fans clearly don't have a neutral perspective with regard to memes. So why should anyone validate meme as a serious concept and menetics as a serious field of study?
>>
>>1833669
The idea of memes as following a form of Natural Selection was first presented by Daniel Dennett.[5] It has also been argued by Dennett that memes are responsible for the entirety of human consciousness. He claims that everything that constitutes humanity, such as language and music is a result of memes and the unflinching hold they have on our thought processes.[5]
>>
File: wat nigga.png (58KB, 259x172px) Image search: [Google]
wat nigga.png
58KB, 259x172px
>>1836633

>consciousness is literally a meme
>>
>>1833926
This.
It is not taken seriously in fields like anthropology, linguistics, sociology and so forth.
It IS however very popular amongst nerds and the admirers of Dawkins and Dennet. Dennet is one of the supporters of it.
>>
>>1836612
>So why should anyone validate meme as a serious concept and menetics as a serious field of study?
Barely anyone does.
>>
File: 1475004891524s.jpg (7KB, 200x173px) Image search: [Google]
1475004891524s.jpg
7KB, 200x173px
>>1833669
>renames "ideas" as "memes"
>what a brilliant scientist!!! genius tier intelligence

wow
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.