[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Marie Antoinette was executed on October 16th, 1793. Was it

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 11

Marie Antoinette was executed on October 16th, 1793.

Was it a justified execution, politically? How has her image changed in the past 220 years?

just want to chat it up about Marie Antoinette today
>>
>>1833609
Marie Antoinette was just a tragic scapegoat whose only crime was getting married off to the French king.

She never even said "let them eat cake" or any variation thereof, that was just propaganda.
>>
>Was it a justified execution, politically?

Technically, I suppose, since she did reveal French military locations to an Austrian ambassador in 1792, but at the time they didn't have any evidence she did so and even she had the insight to remark at her trial that they had not been able to produce against her any positive fact, and that most of the people who gave testimony were unknown to her. The "evidence" at her trial was just a parade of the ridiculousness that had been in the pamphlets for years, rather than any sort of legitimate crimes.

Diplomatically, it wasn't a good move. If the king's death was viewed as the horrendous action of a rebelling populous, the queen's death was viewed as a mindless slaughter. You just didn't execute the women in a European revolt or revolution. I think the French republic could have stabilized its status in Europe at least somewhat if it had sent Marie Antoinette, the king's sister, and the king's children out of France in exile rather than killing Marie Antoinette, a few months later killing the king's sister, and having the king's son neglected to death.

>How has her image changed in the past 220 years?

It's changed from era to era. Sometimes she's been sanctified, sometimes she's been vilified, in the past 100 years she's been depicted as more slutty, thanks to Stefan Zweig's biography tipped the pendulum towards depicting her as a featherbrained, flirty spendthrift who acted wildly because she needed sex. In popular culture this tends to be the view--popular programs that talk about her (like some short-lived TV series where they made parties inspired by historical figures) tend to emphasis her being wild, drinking a lot, flirting, devil-may-care, etc. And of course "let them eat cake" or even the idea that she demeaned or was callous towards the poor will never stop being attributed to her or modern politicians who are then called "Marie Antoinette."
>>
>>1833621
>whose only crime was getting married off to the French king.

I mean, she did give up French military positions to the Austrians. The proof didn't come out until decades and decades after her death when her correspondence was published, though.
>>
>the blood spurt

it's the little details
>>
>>1833732
Antonia Fraser wrote her biography and it depicted more innocent and a victim of the circumstances. I've also seen a few documentaries that do the same thing, so I think people view her niceer.
>>
>>1833789
I think it tends to depend on what aspect of popular culture you're looking at. Broadly, she's still viewed as the embodiment of "Let them eat cake." If she's being brought up on the news, or used as a political slur, or used as a reference in a TV show, it's that sort of negative sentiment.

Historically, no, I don't know of any serious modern historians that portray her negatively outside of her being out of touch. Actually no, I can think of one: John Hardman, who for some reason thinks that in order to rehabilitate the image of Louis XVI he has to downgrade Marie Antoinette.
>>
File: SPOOKY.jpg (181KB, 870x610px) Image search: [Google]
SPOOKY.jpg
181KB, 870x610px
>>1833609
Wtf?
>>
Her last words were an apology for stepping on the executioner's foot

She was a sacrificial lamb

Like killing an ignorant valley girl for being born into wealth
>>
>>1833951
he's facing the other way.
>>
>>1833609
All royals should be guillotined.
>>
>>1834120
All royals should be stripped of their titles and become common citizens, which includes no punishment without crimes.

Killing someone just for being a royal is what makes this kind of thing distinguishabl in the first place, for good or for worse.
>>
>>1834120
>>1834135
t. Plebs
No wonder the Rich hate the poor.
>>
File: 150612172.jpg (964KB, 1024x724px) Image search: [Google]
150612172.jpg
964KB, 1024x724px
a depiction with a veil
>>
What for? I can think of better women worth speaking to than her

>>1834120
This
>>
>>1834120
Remember kids, the world will not be free until the last king has been strangled with the entrails of the last priest.
>>
The execution of any royalty is justified.
>>
>>1834380
>What for? I can think of better women worth speaking to than her
>Why do you want to talk about a historical topic?

/his/
>>
File: IMG_2166.jpg (74KB, 507x543px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2166.jpg
74KB, 507x543px
>>1833609
All revolutions end up with terror, any positive goal they might have is either unrealistic or it's just bound to be overcome by the need for total control.

The whole revolution was pointless, killing Marie Antoinette and the king was pointless.

Obviously I can recognize the reasons behind such events, and I can't deny that the unstable circumstance is to blame on the dominant elite: the lack of democratic institutions, the cultural and power gap between lower and upper classes, the inability to guarantee decent living standards to the vast majority of the French population; these were all factors that contributed to the general discontent which eventually led to revolutionary methods and ideals.
>>
If you don't think that everyone involved in deciding to behead the King was a terrorist, then you're a terrorist. Tricolours ought to be banned.
>>
File: 1468522794424.jpg (70KB, 780x375px) Image search: [Google]
1468522794424.jpg
70KB, 780x375px
>>1834120
>>1834389
These. When will the Brits storm Buckingham?
>>
>>1834439
More like Marie has already been talked about a lot, especially by monarchyfags trying to shit on the French Revolution
>>
>>1834566
The password is Sic Semper Tyrannis.
>>
marie was entirely a scapegoat

the revolutionists were absolutely fucked up. from the massacre at the tuileries palace to literally murdering marie's friend, putting her head on a spike, then trying to get marie to "kiss her dead lesbian lover", there is literally no reason to consider these filth as human beings

it makes you think, doesn't it. why were these peasants in such a position in the first place? their brutal actions during the revolution should be evidence enough. there's a reason why for most of history the lessers of humanity have adhered to their betters. all humans are not equal, some are meant to be listen to their superiors like the filth they are
>>
>People actually believe that killing someone and their entire family is justified

It also upsets me that Americans are so negative towards the family that had a guiding hand in their nations birth.
>>
What's a good biography on her? Or ones to avoid?
>>
>all these Monarchist apologists

Robespierre didn't kill enough apparently.
>>
>>1834120
This desu
t. Commie
>>
>>1835389
This. Europe will not be free until all royal bloodlines have been purged or relinquished any claim to political power or ceremonial positions.
>>
File: tips moustache.jpg (11KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
tips moustache.jpg
11KB, 225x225px
>All these ressentiment-filled commies

Truly, Marxism in all its forms is merely secular Christianity. The latter awaits his 'Last Judgement', whilst the former awaits his 'Revolution'. Plus ça change, plebeian canaille. Ressentiment par excellence.
>>
>>1835558
Royalty would have tone superior for it to be ressentiment, as is they're inbreds with demonstrably lower IQ and a host of other mental deficiencies. Only those with codependent neurotic traits of their own defend these parasites.
>>
File: It's never been tried bro.png (139KB, 1200x892px) Image search: [Google]
It's never been tried bro.png
139KB, 1200x892px
>>1835568

>Royalty would have tone superior for it to be ressentiment

They have historically been so.

>Only those with codependent neurotic traits of their own defend these parasites.

Here's the key: You're using your perception of MODERN royalty as an excuse to do away with royalty as a concept, institution and generally as a whole. This says more about you and your like-minded 'Revolutionaries' who are so intoxicated with ressentiment. Like many short-sighted Commies, you believe that exceptions to a rule thereby justify destroying that rule.
>>
>>1834645
its called mob mentality
>>
An self-indulgent whore, basically the Kim K of her time
>>
>>1834645

I'm your superior and you need to listen to me.

Now go clean the shit off my boots with your tongue and let me borrow your wife and daughter for the night you piece of fucking filth. don't question your superiors actions.
>>
>>1833609
I didn't understand the description of the French Revolution as the burgeois revolution until I read more about her trial and the charges brought against her. Then it became clear that the character of the events was entirely born out of petty townsfolk idea of morality and gossip about the rich living debauched lives. Like seriously, the charges were the sort of stuff you'd expect in a tabloid for bored housewives.

>>1834389
>Remember kids, the world will not be free until the last king has been strangled with the entrails of the last priest.
Diderot and his ilk were basically clowns used by the rich to entertain them by saying wicked and revolting stuff nobody took seriously. Then came the petty burgeoise and treated those ideas as instructions.
You people are equivalent to someone replying to a copypasta.
t. Georges Sorel
>>
>>1834135

This, desu.
>>
File: you got some growing up to do.png (144KB, 946x472px) Image search: [Google]
you got some growing up to do.png
144KB, 946x472px
>>1835581
Royalty throughout history have been decadent parasites. The ressentiment meme is just a shitty "the bullies are just jealous, sweetheart" style defense. Pathetic.
>>
>>1834566
If we ever have a dirty catholic heathen as a monarch again.
>>
>>1835615
>An self-indulgent whore, basically the Kim K of her time

What a poorly thought out common. Comparing the role of the Queen of France to Kim Kardashian shows a complete lack of understanding of French history.
>>
>>1834925
I've studied her for about 10 years now and every biography comes with caveat aka watch out for _____.

Desmond Seward's biography is short and good for an introduction to springboard you to new books, though.
>>
>>1835988

>Shitty MS Paint meme
>Fundamental misunderstanding out ressentiment

Fun fact: Liberty and equality are incompatible ideals, but the sorts of people who fawn over the French Revolution don't tend to have the brainpower to figure out why.
>>
>>1837096

Another fun fact: both liberty and equality are retarded ideals.
>>
>>1837140
Another fun fact: All ideals are ultimately retarded
>>
>>1833609
Absolutely viva la republique
Thread posts: 45
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.