[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What are good alternatives to Crash Course: World History? Even

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 2

File: john grin.jpg (9KB, 150x217px) Image search: [Google]
john grin.jpg
9KB, 150x217px
What are good alternatives to Crash Course: World History? Even ignoring his dumb biases John Green is just not a good teacher and annoys the shit out of me.
>>
>>1833526

Actually pick up a book
>>
>>1833533
I'm illiterate though.
>>
John clearly knows and understands way more about the topic than he lets on, but he dumbs down the videos to appeal to normies. The guy's a hack, but he's a smart hack.
>>
>>1833539
typical American
>>
>>1833526
Start with the Greeks.
Literally. Herodotus, Thucydides and Polybus.

>b-but muh modern historical scholarship
>b-b-b-b-b-b-but any historian before [semi-random date in the 19th century] should be ignored
>>
>>1833628
>let's learn multiple archaic dude's wrong interpretation and blatant falsehoods about stuff that our ancestors USED to think was true

Unless you're teaching the kid philosophy wtf are you thinking?

God no wonder America's 30th in education
>>
Paradox Games
>>
File: 200% smug.jpg (12KB, 258x395px) Image search: [Google]
200% smug.jpg
12KB, 258x395px
>>1833642
>wrong interpretation
No need to argue further.
>>
>>1833526
Since no one else answered your question, try this guy. He's better Cereal Cuckboi.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WvQdJ9hNQZ4
>>
>>1833610
Go to bed, John
>>
>>1833610
John doesn't even write the show. He's a host who has some degree of input, but he's not in any way an accredited historian.
>>
>>1833526
Extra Credits History series
:^)
>>
/his/ memes
>>
>>1833628
>>1833654
This is either bait or you're literally retarded. The Greeks produced lots of great philosophical works but in the end they, along with the other civilizations of antiquity, had very limited knowledge about the world. They believed in Atlantis and Hyperborea for fucks sake.
>>
There were these little tiny inaccuracies in Crash Course World History that bugged me back when I was in high school. Like saying that Julius Caesar was born through Caesarean section or getting the order of the Estates-General wrong.

Then again, I was probably just jealous that John Green was better at capturing teenage girls' attention than I was.
>>
>>1833526
Try The Great war, Lindybeige or History buffs. They aren't alternatives for John, but they're great history oriented channels.
>>
>>1835723
>Lindybeige
You could make a case for him being worse than John Green
>>
It's not really an alternative because the episodes are massive but Dan Carlin's Hardcore History podcast is great.
>>
>>1834707
>Implying Atlantis and Hyperborea didn't exist
>>
>>1835723
>History buffs
He's beyond terrible
>>
>>1835723
History Buffs is stupidly biased, he praises his favourite movies and says that the mistakes in said movies are "minor". On the other hand, he nitpicks movies he hates like crazy
>>
>>1834621
I unironically watch this.
>>
>>1833526
Historia Civilis on youtube
>>
>>1836322
I love his battle animations, cant find any other channels that do it. Too bad the guy always has to put his stupid input into the video and often gets his reasoning wrong.
>>
speaking of which, i needed to say this

why are 80% of people with avatars of historical figures on youtube retarded?
>>
>>1836393
that's because 99% of commentators on youtube are retarded
>>
>>1835737
Lindy is decent, if you follow two rules:
1. Take all england related stuff with a grain of salt
2. Take all guns and XXth century/modern warfare stuff with pound of salt
>>
>>1833526
Crash Course: Philosophy
>>
>>1836393
It's usually the sign of a person who wants to sound important and intelligent but without putting in the personal effort to build that reputation himself.
>>
Jabzy's 3 minute lessons
>>
>>1833613
>>1833642
Was your boypussy bullied by an American when you were young?
>>
>>1834707
Thucydides is relatively factual. Reading Herodotus to learn about giant ants is probably not a good idea though.
>>
>>1833526
realcrusadehistory is good once you finish reading your David Irving
>>
>>1833526
If you don't want to read which is honestly the beat way to go, but can be expensive if you aren't smart about it, I would go with podcasts there are several with varying topics and styles I will some examples
>When Diplomacy Fails
personally my favorite history podcast it is very well researched especially the episodes on WW1 and Thirty years War. It is about the diplomacy surrenders the greatest wars in European history. It is just great.
> Hardcore History
Another impeccably researched show. It has quite a few different topics and tends to go into great detail. I am not a personal fan of its style though it has a tendency to sensationalize and exaggerate a little but for dramatic effect.
> History of Rome -Revolutions
Alot of people's first history podcast it is definitely a solid podcast. The history of Rome can focus a little too much on the emporers and less on society.
>Lesser Bonapartes
A little bit of a guilty pleasure of mine. They are a history podcast with a comedic spin. They are not the best researched and their humor might be obnoxious but it tickles a fancy most podcasts don't. (Eastern Border is similar but much more disorganized.)
>The British History Podcast
I hate the guy who makes this because his show covers alot of hard to find material but he is just annoying. I do enjoy his constant trashing of sourvessels not enough books and podcasts do that.
>The History of China Podcast
A little bit less professional alot of content and good if you have no idea about Chinese history.
>The history of the English language
Fanscinfringement if you enjoy liguistics.
Thread posts: 35
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.