[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why does the American Midwest have a culture that values a strong

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 7

File: 1470272143668.jpg (2MB, 2500x1662px) Image search: [Google]
1470272143668.jpg
2MB, 2500x1662px
Why does the American Midwest have a culture that values a strong work ethic, low taxes, small government, and personal responsibility, while the rest of the country wants a bloated, inefficient government and to live off welfare?
>>
Less jews, maybe?
>>
Because they don't have anyone to call them out on federal grain and cattle subsidies i guess
>>
File: 67084.jpg (82KB, 700x717px) Image search: [Google]
67084.jpg
82KB, 700x717px
>>1832773
>american midwest
>implying they come even close to the economic productivity the rest of the "welfare loving" country reaches
>called flyover states for a reason

If you start a bait thread maybe choose a somewhat more realistic bait.

Also what >>1832797 said about the agriculture subsidies.
>>
>>1832894

you can have 100 hardworking farmers and small business owners that are less productive than 10 engineers and 90 people on welfare.

That doesn't mean that the second configuration is better, in fact it's much worse.

This is what the midwest is to the rest of the country.
>>
>>1832784
kek, we have about 10 million jews
>>
File: JerryBrown.jpg (2MB, 1660x2075px) Image search: [Google]
JerryBrown.jpg
2MB, 1660x2075px
>>1832773
>not wanting a big beautiful government with jiggling rolls of budget surplus
>>
>>1832903

California is the agricultural heart of the Usa if i am not mistaken ?

What about texas? I am pretty sure they don`t fit the stereotype you tried assigning everyone but the midwest.
>>
the Midwest would collapse overnight if it weren't for corn subsidies

if you go far back enough most people have their land because it was literally given to them for free by the government during the homesteading years

some fucking irony people in the Midwest disliking big gubmen
>>
>>1832903
Texas produces more agricultural products than the entire Midwest combined.

We also have a lot of spics on welfare, but less than the average in Ohio/Illinois/Missouri.
>>
>>1832929
>what is a bull stock market

How does 3 decent years make up for 45 shitty ones?
>>
>strong work ethic
Bullshit. It's likely that any kind of anecdote you have for saying that relies off people desperately trying to keep a job in a decreasing or rare field.
>low taxes
Out of all the regions, the Mid-West has the highest overall State, local, property, and sales tax rates. The top three states (Illanois, Nebreska, Wiscousin) all respectively the highest three in combined tax rates, followed by three New Englander States, followed by three more mid-West States (Michigna, Ohio, and Iowa).
>small government
It's the third region (or second, if you consider the Mid-Atlantic different form New England) with the highest Government involvement and regulations. The South, Pacific North-West, South West all rank better.
>personal responsibility
broof
>>
>>1832962
>bust years in California
>roads are immaculately paved and marked
>highly skilled labor flocks from around the world
>worldwide cultural powerhouse
>unbeatable climate

>boom years in Illinois
>roads are Passchendaele moonscapes
>no viable industries without bailouts or subsidies
>recurring election talking point
>beatable climate
>>
I think we can all agree that corn subsidies should be eliminated, the electoral college should be replaced with a basic plurality system, and roving bands of Mongols should be introduced into the Great Plains to rape and murder freely.
>>
File: 42839.jpg (60KB, 460x601px) Image search: [Google]
42839.jpg
60KB, 460x601px
>>1833033
> roving bands of Mongols should be introduced into the Great Plains to rape and murder freely

>import mongolians
>give them automatic guns and horses
>set them free in the midwest
>livestream 24/7
>cowboys vs. mongolians
>midwestern states become economic powerhouses
>>
>>1833056
We could substitute in Finns if we can't find enough actual Mongols.
>>
>>1832773
Because German American Protestant culture encourages deference and determination rather than inquiry and self-actualization.

For this same reason, the demographic is grossly underrepresented in academia and science. There aren't even many German Americans in the media or big business.
>>
The midwest is objectively the second worst region after the south. Just fat people living off corn subsidies.
>>
>>1832932
America is a corn country and corn is king across the Midwest.

In the Sunbelt (California, Texas, Florida) you see lots of fruit and vegetable cultivation.
>>
>>1832932
>California is the agricultural heart of the Usa if i am not mistaken ?
Not for long, lmao.
>>
>>1832903
The latter is more productive therefore is best.

The market doesn't award "at least you tried" stickers to losers. That's what the government is for, apparently.
>>
>>1832773
Another Scandiboo Germanic fag thread again.
https://desuarchive.org/his/thread/1533969/
https://desuarchive.org/his/thread/1565665/
https://desuarchive.org/his/thread/1595195/

We get it, the Protestant work ethic is great, now if you could just grow some culture that would be lovely.
>>
Lots of people in the midwest live on welfare. Where did you get your ideas about the midwest? I live here and you are talking out your ass.

>strong work ethic...personal responsibility

lmao
>>
File: 1471007198306.gif (3MB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
1471007198306.gif
3MB, 640x360px
Curious question given that the Midwest as a region consumes significantly more money in welfare dollars per person than other regions to the point that a fair amount of them are net money sinks for the government. The region by and large is a rotting carcass of the 1960s iteration of itself as massive agriculture conglomerates increasingly centralize farming leaving small farming communities to serve no purpose other than siphoning money from the tax payer directly to Wal-Mart by the billions. Nevermind the crushing drug epidemics and brain drain. As a New Englander I fully sympathize with the drug problem - we are seeing a lot of our small towns bent over the barrel by opioids in the wake of years of doctors throwing pain pills at everyone and then the spigot being turned off.
>>
Since there seems to be a lot of talk about how the Midwest is rolling in federal dollars I decided to look for some relevant links on this topic.

Here is a study about which states are most and least dependent on federal aid. Notice that the Midwest is filled with its fair share of contributors and leeches and that their seems to be a breakdown between how dependent a state's government and a state's residents are on aid.
https://wallethub.com/edu/states-most-least-dependent-on-the-federal-government/2700/#main-findings

This site shows which how much each state receives in dollars from the Departmemt of Agriculture.
https://farm.ewg.org/progdetail.php?fips=00000&progcode=total&page=states

Because corn seems to be big consumer of government subsidies (this is my uneducated guess) here is Wikipedia links to relevant articles.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corn_production_in_the_United_States
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agricultural_subsidy (under the Agricultural subsidies by region United States section)

It does not appear that the Midwest takes in an abnormal amount of federal dollars, but it does take a lot of agricultural subsidies.
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.