[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>the creeping realization that the hippies were right

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 7

File: hippies.jpg (684KB, 1536x1987px) Image search: [Google]
hippies.jpg
684KB, 1536x1987px
>the creeping realization that the hippies were right about everything
>>
>>1832677
You misspelled Hitler
>>
File: 1467885608092.png (46KB, 420x490px) Image search: [Google]
1467885608092.png
46KB, 420x490px
>>1832677
No, their parents were right about everything.

Why does /his/ worship babyboomers?
>>
>>1832677

what were they right about tho?

other than lsd i mean
>>
File: 4e7.png (194KB, 1011x801px) Image search: [Google]
4e7.png
194KB, 1011x801px
>>1832677
join us anon
>>
>>1832723
pacifism
equality
freedom (for women and negroes too)
subjectivity of reality
taoism and buddhism being the best religions
delay and guitar pedals being cool as fuck
>>
>>1832677
Hippies we just dirty edgy liberals who never wanted to admit that capitalism was the cause of so much that they hate.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (374KB, 2000x1124px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
374KB, 2000x1124px
>the creeping realization that the whole of consumer driven corporate society is completely fake, that no one even lives in any of the skyscrapers in pic related, that your work targets are completely made up, that your media knows precisely fuck all about the world and is little more than a giant PR firm, that your politicians don't give a flying fuck about you and that you've been reduced to nothing more but a happiness machine
>>
>>1833151
>pacifism
useless ideal, because they had nothing to sacrifice
>equality
cannot exist without hivemind or no individual will. or without an governing force to force equality
>freedom
a spook nigga

>subjectivity of reality
fair enough, but I don't think that hippies really cared all that much about subjectivity especially when their subjectivity was coming from conservative men and women

>taoism and buddhism being best religion
what happened to that subjectivity?

>delay and guitar pedals being cool as fuck
moogs would like to have a word with you.
>>
>>1833405
>what happened to that subjectivity?

Subjectivity doesn't remove preference, it encourages it
>>
>>1833416
subjectivity is nothing but preference you fool

>I prefer to believe that life stems from a god
>I prefer to believe that life stems from random chaos
>>
>>1833426
Yeah dude yeah
>>
>withdraw from vietnam to save money
>it costs the lives of 165 thousand viet civies
Fucking hippies are soulless, corporate cancer that condone mass death and despair for some quick cash.
>>
>>1833431
what did you mean by this?
>>
>>1832677
hippies are boomer faggots
>>
>>1832677
the only thing hippies got right was realizing that lsd is a good drug
>>
>>1833151
>equality
>freedom (for women and negroes too)
hahaha
have you ever actually researched hippies?
they acted anything but equal towards women.
basically a bunch of white middle class kids saying fuck you mom and dad, no wonder they all turned into yuppies once the 80's rolled around.
>>
>>1833466
this, the actual hippe movement was just to not comform to the norms of the 50's

once the 80's hit, their parents were already hippies, so to non comform against that, they because yuppies
>>
>>1833151

none of that was realy a hippy invention, they were merely informed by them, they took those allready existing elements and sort of coopted them in some unstructured way

other than constant mantra of peace and love what they realy were about was confusion, agressive relativism, disorganisation, nonconformism as a norm

it was all convoluted and contradictory, pure desublimation, rejection of actual personal responsibility masked as somekind of major rebelion against the evil system of having a job and living in a house and having kids before youre 40

now realisticaly the system they were designated to live in was kinda shitty, it was labor intensive consumerism, they were supposed to just accept their place, go with the program, and dream of buying a cadilac at some point in life if not drafted and sent to die overseas, all the while pretending not to notice how retarded the entire socio/economic and political system actrualy are, we all go trough those basic realisations in life, many of us live with the simple fact that whatever system were doomed to live in is a hyperfunctional hell since early adolescence, and one can easily understand how a 18-20something might see that as a pointless nightmare and reel against it

but the actual form that this rebelion took was complete shit, they literaly just decided to quit real life, but never realy comited to anything else, except the ones that ended up in whatever sort of cult or following

it was all just a way to give up cause you dont want to live like your parents, replace the here and now with trips and daydreams

and one of their major historical contributions is that they kind of fucked up psychedelics for all of us, not that we cant still get them and do whatever we want, but without them there would have been continuous research and experimentation done in controled conditions by trained proffesionals and we would know a fuckton more by now and figure out ways to safely use them to help people
>>
File: image.jpg (433KB, 1600x1210px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
433KB, 1600x1210px
>>1833239
Take the vapor-pill
>>
>>1833873
>they kind of fucked up psychedelics for all of us, not that we cant still get them and do whatever we want, but without them there would have been continuous research and experimentation done in controled conditions by trained proffesionals

I agree with most of what you said, but I take issue with this specifically. The mainstream hippie use of psychs contibuted immensely to them even seeing the "hyperfuntional hell" they were previously trapped.

Once freed, they didn't' really know where to go, and eventually returned to materialism and hedonism, because American corporatism excels at offering both of those things.

But as far as them contributing to the stigmatization of drugs? Highly unlikely. Weed was (and research on it's potential benefits) was already quite illegal before the hippies embraced it. Hippies embraced psyhedelics because it works, and really saw their potential to understand the human mind. And that is something that no one (beyond the direct participants) has much interest in.

MKULTRA and the like continued unimpeded, because the plebs cannot be trusted with anything that will help understand how fully the patrician/plebe system works.

TL;DL It would have been banned without hippies.
>>
File: Chris-Hedges_2069_GUEST.jpg (399KB, 2011x1131px) Image search: [Google]
Chris-Hedges_2069_GUEST.jpg
399KB, 2011x1131px
>>1832677
>Protest in the 1960s found its ideological roots in the disengagement championed earlier by Beats such by Jack Kerouac, Allen Ginsberg, and William Burroughs. It was a movement that, while it incorporated a healthy dose of disrespect for authority, focused again on self-indulgent schemes for inner peace and fulfillment. The use of hallucinogenic drugs, advocated by Timothy Leary in books such as the Politics of Ecstasy, and the rise of occultism that popularized Transcendental Meditation, theosophy, the Hare Krishna branch of Hinduism, and renewed interest in Zen Buddhism and study of the I Ching, were trends that would have dismayed the Wobblies or the militants in the old Communist Party. The counterculture of the 1960s, like the commodity culture, lured adherents inward. It set up the self up as the primary center of concern. It, too, offered affirmative, therapeutic remedies to social problems that embraced vague, undefined, and utopian campaigns to remake society. There was no political vision. Herman Hesse’s Siddhartha, with its narrator’s search for enlightenment, became emblematic of the moral hollowness of the New Left.

>And once the Vietnam War ended, once middle-class men no longer had to go to war, the movement disintegrated. The political and moral void within the counterculture meant it was an easy transition from college radical to a member of the liberal class. The 1960s counterculture, like the counterculture of the Bohemians or the Beats, was always in tune with the commercial culture. It shared commercial culture’s hedonism, love of spectacle, and preoccupation with the self.
>>
>>1832677
>>1832677
I fail to see how they were right at anything. They were completely unproductive members of the society, used drugs and broke laws. They lived off the society, but gave nothing in return. They were adults, yet behaved like children, with no concept of responsibility. Their "spirituality" was also laughable. They are disgusting.
>>
>>1833962
>fail to see how they were right at anything. They were completely unproductive members of the society, used drugs and broke laws. They lived off the society, but gave nothing in return. They were adults, yet behaved like children, with no concept of responsibility. Their "spirituality" was also laughable. They are disgusting.

Are you talking about hippies or fascists?
>>
>>1832677
Yea, the hippies pretty much just stood on moral and ethical grounds while hoping that the few intellectuals that stood with them would come up with steadfast ways to change society for the better. They were right about us destroying the environment where we live, our economic systems enslaving the poor, and our immoral battles for resources and ideology.

Granted, if you listened to one of those typical hippies from back then, they probably sounded retarded, but they ended up being on the right side of history and laid the foundation for progressive reform.
>>
>>1833931

idk, you might be right in that they would find some way to ban psychedelics one way or another

but im sceptical of how they realy help you 'see things' in that sense of politics or economy or whatever 'the system' youre refering to, in that respect people either interpret their psychedelic experiences as corresponding to how they already see these things or reject it as a bad trip

at least i never took a trip and suddenly came to the realisation of - omg the central banking system is a total fraud!, or - the media is funded by interest groups and politicians are lying all the time - i mean such things are firstly rather obvious and secondly you need some mental coherence to actualy think such mundane thoughts in ways that make any sense, besides, if a trip was that shallow id ask for my money back

also the sorts of realisations that one does get to during such experiences, even if they have some relation to these matters, might as well get you to 'go the other way'. like, i dont see how lsd couldnt 'open your mind' to the notion that total authoritarian organisation and enforced collective discipline might be just fine, or bring you to the realisation that higher powers have calibrated each organism to be unequal to others so that they should serve one another in a order of submission and dominance or somesuch, similar to how hinduist spirituality was popular in the 60is, but it was literaly also popular among the ss, i mean, the rabit hole is rather multidirectional and chaos dosent judge

thats part of my problem with hippies, aparently they became avare of this and that but somehow this avarenes was never realy all that selfavare, they never realy looked themselves in the mirror so to speak, or maybe they eventualy did and then the 60is ended
>>
>>1833239
>the immediately terrifying but later cathartic realization that this will all collapse when we run out of fossil fuels and we'll return to a more natural, intimate way of life in smaller communities
>>
>>1834080

>not ending up in some unimaginably horrifying transhumanist distopia

does being stoned help you be this optimistic tho?
>>
>>1834165
>unimaginably horrifying transhumanist distopia
I, for one, embrace the unimaginably horrifying transhumanist distopia, and spend my days trying to bring about it's actualization.

I prefer to try something entirely new, and feudalism is soooo boring.
>>
>>1833910
>he bought the "Vaporwave is anti-capitalist" meme
>>
>>1832724
>cringe
Thread posts: 31
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.