[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What does /his know about the Nestorians. It seems like info

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 7

File: Nestorian-Stele.jpg (70KB, 286x382px) Image search: [Google]
Nestorian-Stele.jpg
70KB, 286x382px
What does /his know about the Nestorians. It seems like info on them especially in China is hard to find
>>
>>
File: Yang_Wengshe_1314.jpg (521KB, 1356x1910px) Image search: [Google]
Yang_Wengshe_1314.jpg
521KB, 1356x1910px
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (147KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
147KB, 1920x1080px
>>1830536
The Nestorian legacy lives on in the Church of the East although by now they've renounced some of the elements which could be deemed 'Nestorian'. Their vestments and imagery are taken straight out of ancient Assyrian culture just like most other churches adapted some of their pre-Christian imagery.
https://youtu.be/NpQSLGQ4pnw
https://youtu.be/svjBl5Mh93I
https://youtu.be/tZRKbThHPYw
>>
>>1830750
Also their liturgical dialect of Syriac is the most conservative of the two dialects, the other used by the Syrian Orthodox but ironically their pronunciation of Yeshua, 'Isho`' is less conservative.
>>
>>1830750
So would those Christians in India be considered post of the church of the east?
>>
>>1831790
*part
>>
File: palm sunday.jpg (115KB, 640x579px) Image search: [Google]
palm sunday.jpg
115KB, 640x579px
>>
File: Nestorian_headstone.jpg (47KB, 330x475px) Image search: [Google]
Nestorian_headstone.jpg
47KB, 330x475px
>>
>>1830504
the only thing I know about Nestorians is that Marco Polo wrote a lot about them in his book.
According to him, there were a shitload of Nestorians living in Asia. A sizeable minority
>>
>>1831794
Yep, specifically the Chaldean Syrian Church which is simply the Assyrian Church in India.
Most of the St. Thomas Christians were affiliated with the Church of the East until the 17th century.
>>
>>1832509
So what happened that they aren't affiliated anymore
>>
>>1832721
The Catholic Portuguese came along
>>
>>1832739
I thought they only controlled goa?
>>
>>1832762
They kept on preventing a new bishop from coming and when the last archbishop died they began to replace the native customs with the Latin rite. There was also a schism in the Church of the East around the time of the Portuguese arrival. West Syrian involvement and Anglican missions also contributed to the furthered partition of the Christian community.
>>
>>1833153
Also the Pope established an East Syrian Rite in 1661 for St. Thomas Christians which helped keep many in their fold because uneducated plebs tend to love being able to keep their traditions while being oblivious to theology and in good standing with the party in power.
>>
>>1833214
So they are like greek catholics
>>
>>1833221
Yeah but with an East Syrian liturgy.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.