[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why did the Great Leap Forward fail? I understand why the steel

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 4

Why did the Great Leap Forward fail? I understand why the steel production failed but agriculturally, China's exceptionally fertile and besides the fact every man, woman and child was crammed into a commune I don't know much more about the movement. Why were there so many famines?
>>
>>1830391
>but agriculturally, China's exceptionally fertile

Per capita China has very little arable land.

Also,
>why so many famines
Stupid commie shit + Chinese actually loved Mao and wouldn't tell him he was going full retard + what I said above
>>
1) Centralised planning is dogshit
2) Mao was untouchable at this point and there was no one to argue against him and balance his overly zealous policies
3) It had some accomplishments. Mao still managed an impressive 5% growth rate and did rapidly industralise a largely agricultural country whilst raising the average life expectancy and literacy rates

So good and bad I guess.
>>
>hey guise how about instead of a main smelting factory we have a bunch of tiny ones in homes?

Pants on head retard.
>>
>>1830391
The famine happened for the following reasons
1. Bad weather
2. A lot of bad policies
3. They removed invasive species, but unknown to them some of these species kept certain insects in check and with the invasive species gone the insects run rampant and fucked up the harvest
>>
>>1830567
It sort of made sense in the "bottom up, distributed" approach except the part where it's fucking steel.
>>
>>1830391
Mao made the farmers work as steel manufacturers so food production dramatically decreased and a lot of people starved to death.
>>
They murdered all the sparrows.
>>
>hey guys, get this
>what if we like, sow twice as dense
>the harvests will be twice as large!
>>
>>1831617
This was the main reason
>>
Mao pulled a reverse seed of the Emperor.

>peasants in some commune claim they poured a galon of fertilizer into a hole and placed a seed in it
>produce ten times as large!!!
>make other communes repeat it since it's obvjously legit
>nothing grows and everyone starves
>>
Did China fall for the Lysenko meme?
>>
>>1831617
Why?
>>
Urban bureaucrats who knew literally nothing about agriculture started enforcing policies regarding agriculture
basically this >>1831777
>>
>>1830391
It didn't fail. Famines were very common in China, and surprisingly, no one talk about the famines under the Kuomintang. After the Great Leap Forward, there were no more famines in China.
>>
The famine was intentionally orchestrated as a means of pacifying the population.
>>
>>1831826
They were considered pests, since they ate some grains.
But they also ate a lot of insects, so without them...
>>
>>1831876
>surprisingly, no one talk about the famines under the Kuomintang.
Well, whatever atrocities KMT did, the commies did worse.

>After the Great Leap Forward, there were no more famines in China.
And after the independence, India has had several crop failures but no famines. Hmm... Wonder why that is? Could it be democracy? Naah...
>>
>>1831826
>>1831905
Because the sparrows was a invasive species
>>
>>1830391
The results of the great leap forward are a classic example of when you put people with literally no experience or knowhow in charge of a countries entire agricultural production.
>>
File: 1473615214747.jpg (142KB, 1024x720px) Image search: [Google]
1473615214747.jpg
142KB, 1024x720px
>>1830391

Collectivized agriculture always fails.

>>1831617

This hurts me inside. Why in the world would you go out of your way to kill the most innocent of creatures?
>>
>>1831972
>the different species of plants similar to each other will work together if we grow them together on the same field because they would have a communist bond
t.Soviet Scientist
Shit like this being the advisor to Mao didn't help.
>>
>>1831617
This. Their nature of governing was poor to say the least. When their attempts in organizing a successful agrarian economy were lackluster Mao suggested the idea to kill all the birds and eat them. The next year what ever crops they had died because they altered the ecosystem.

In short, they were fucking stupid.
>>
>>1830530
>Chinese actually loved Mao and wouldn't tell him he was going full retard

Probably had nothing to do with the fact they would have been killed if they did. They just loved him too much.
>>
>>1830391
Because idealism is a very bad way to make choices.
>>
>>1830391
>Why did the Great Leap Forward fail?
What makes you think it did? China is turning into one of the great success stories of modernization under the Chinese Communist Party. I mean, it might have been, but what's your evidence really? Hyper biased accounts from governmental enemies via a half assed high school textbook chapter?

>Why were there so many famines?
See, this is what I'm talking about. There was one famine. And there's been a continuous history of famines in China. So you can say the CPC was responsible for a great famine (singular) or you can say the CPC ended China's millennia long struggle with famine and hunger. Both are correct.

Keep in mind the that the population grew faster than ever in history under CPC, life expectancy rose to unprecedented heights, infant mortality plummeted. Not saying everything is/was good, but it's a more complicated picture than what you'll get out of the cookie cutter meme "history".
>>
>>1832452

>China is turning into one of the great success stories of modernization under the Chinese Communist Party

The modern ruling party of China has seen success specifically because they've rejected Maoist bullshit in favor of a more pragmatic approach. They're far less interested in ideological purity and far more interested in results. You'll find that the Party rarely even mentions communism anymore because they now recognize it as a spook.
>>
>>1832452
>China has had tremendous economic growth since Reform and Opening Up, therefore we shouldn't criticize Mao.

Typical apologist bullshit. Fuck off 自干五。
>>
File: 1473131899873.gif (3MB, 286x258px) Image search: [Google]
1473131899873.gif
3MB, 286x258px
>>1832452

>We should give Mao credit for successes that happened after he was already long dead
>>
>>1831918
>Well, whatever atrocities KMT did, the commies did worse.

Debateable
>>
>>1832430
>hurdur either they only love him or they only fear him

Nice strawman
>>
>>1830391
Because Mao was a military general who believed that he could run a country, and nobody had the balls to tell him that his ideas were fucking stupid.
>>
>>1832510
>therefore we shouldn't criticize Mao.

Where was this stated, self-hating cuckold?

>>1832517
The life expectancy in China rose from 40 to 72 under Mao's rule.
>>
>>1831826
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Four_Pests_Campaign
>>
>>1832941
Maybe because China wasn't in civil war anymore?
>>
>>1832941
Implying that the Great Leap Forward was a success and that the Mao era was anything but 30 wasted years is flat-out apologism for Mao. And I'm not Chinese, I only speak it, so the only one who is a "self-hating cuckold" is you since you're a willing shill for a party which killed and persecuted millions of your countrymen.
Thread posts: 36
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.