[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

ITT: Things that sounds like shitty historical revisionism,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 3

File: 800px-Gandhara_Buddha_(tnm).jpg (214KB, 800x1326px) Image search: [Google]
800px-Gandhara_Buddha_(tnm).jpg
214KB, 800x1326px
ITT: Things that sounds like shitty historical revisionism, but are actually true.

I start:

The well-known image of the Buddha came from Greek art.

>Sometime between the 2nd century BC and the 1st century AD, the first anthropomorphic representations of the Buddha were developed. These were absent from earlier strata of Buddhist art, which preferred to represent the Buddha with symbols such as the stupa, the Bodhi tree, the empty seat, the wheel, or the footprints. But the innovative anthropomorphic Buddha image immediately reached a very high level of sculptural sophistication, naturally inspired by the sculptural styles of Hellenistic Greece.

Sauce: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greco-Buddhist_art
>>
It's so surreal to even imagine Greek influence being that prevalent as far away as the Hindu Kush and beyond.
>>
Too bad Buddhism didn't spread to the western greeks. Buddhism has a way of accommodating local polytheism, Alexander's brotherhood of man almost came true.
>>
File: ancient-greek-boy.jpg (96KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
ancient-greek-boy.jpg
96KB, 1024x768px
>>1830354
>Buddhism has a way of accommodating local polytheism

Only Mahayana.
>>
Following the Anglo-Saxon conquest, a Romano-Briton state existed in northern Spain until it was destroyed by vikings.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Britonia
>>
>>1830374

They didn't die out, there are hispanic celts today. The religious See was lost, but that could have happened anyway.
>>
>>1829944

There's a small community of practicing Jews in western China, who have been there for close to (maybe a bit older) than a millennia. Nobody's really sure how they got there, either.

At least according to one legend I heard, at one point a missionary tried to show one of them a depiction of the Last Supper, and the guy enthusiastically started nodding and said that it was a very good picture of Jacob and his 12 sons.
>>
>>1830358

nope, theravada is no different in that regard
>>
>>1829944
Wehrmacht forces a battle alongside the Americans against the Waffen SS in the last days of WW2

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_for_Castle_Itter
>>
http://www.pappaspost.com/stunning-new-evidence-reveals-ancient-greek-contact-china-1500-years-earlier-believed-famed-chinese-warrior-statues-influenced-greeks/

More on the Ancient Greeks influence on Asian art, the lead Chinese archaeologist at the tomb of the first emperor of China says that the terracotta warriors were either done by actual Greek sculptors or by local sculptors who had learned from Greeks.
>>
>>1830358
Theravada has done that just as much, don't confuse what happened historically with what the religion actually is.
>>
>which preferred to represent the Buddha with symbols such as the stupa, the Bodhi tree, the empty seat, the wheel, or the footprints.
Honestly this sounds much more appropriate for Buddhism. Man do people ever love their idols.
>>
>>1829944
It's common to refer to the Auschwitz-Birkenau camp complex as just "Auschwitz", but actually Auschwitz proper with its famous "Arbeit Macht Frei" was primarily a camp for non-Jewish undesirables.

The larger Birkenau nearby is the infamous Jewish death camp with crematoria and all that.
>>
>>1831368
Why the Wehrmacht did that?
>>
>>1831389

Not him, but essentially, they were defeatists arrested (and possibly slated for execution) by the SS members for saying that the war was hopeless and/or trying to surrender.
>>
>>1831368
*fought a battle

>>1831389
They were planning to surrender and they learned from the Austrian resistance that the SS was holding some important prisoners in Castle Itter.

So they rode up to the nearest grouping of Americans, asked them for help, and liberated the castle together. The leader of the Wehrmacht force died in the battle though.

>>1831402
I wouldn't say planning to surrender after the fall of Berlin and Hitler's death is really defeatism.
>>
>>1831416

>I wouldn't say planning to surrender after the fall of Berlin and Hitler's death is really defeatism.

It was in the SS's book, and they were the ones running the show, at least in that locale.

But then again, the SS, as a paramilitary group and not the "real" Army, had a much nastier reception waiting for them than the Heer if they were captured, so it's not a surprise they held on longer and more bitterly.

As a side note, in response to the other guy, wasn't Gangl in overall charge of the defensive effort? I seem to remember hearing that somewhere.
>>
Judaism came after Christianity, not before: >>1830955

Galatia was a Celtic colony in Asia Minor.
>>
The wooly mammoth wasn't extinct yet when the Great Pyramid was built.
>>
>>1831373
Yeah, was going to post this.
>>
>>1829944
It's not Greek art. It actually comes from Gandharva school of art, which developed along with Mathura style.
>>
>>1831386
>Most famous jew-killing camp didn't even house jews

Kek, popular history is seldom accurate.
>>
File: auschwitz.jpg (176KB, 730x525px) Image search: [Google]
auschwitz.jpg
176KB, 730x525px
>>1832542
They were part of the same camp complex (Auschwitz-Birkenau).

The Auschwitz camp (multi-story red brick buildings and the "Arbeit Macht Frei" sign over the entrance) was a re-purposed Polish army barracks, while the Birkenau camp was sort of a suburban expansion outside of the town, next to a nearby village (simple single-story buildings, accessible mostly by rail).

It's also interesting that most tourists don't seem to realise it's in an urban area. They get bused in from (usually) Kraków, stop at the Auschwitz camp, then ride directly to Birkenau, sparing the 40,000-person town any tourist traffic. Which is good, we've had enough trouble with various activism anyway.

I'm an Oświęcim (Auschwitz) native by the way, AMA.
>>
>>1829944
Karl Marx was a Christian
>>
>>1830358
>average greek boy
>>
>>1832588
His father was a Rabbi who converted to Christianity in order to avoid paying taxes.
>>
>>1832614

Not him, but I'm pretty sure it was his grandfather who was the rabbi, and his father converted to be allowed to practice law.
>>
>>1831368
If you repost this often enough, people will actually believe that Americans and the good innocent Wehrmacht fought against the evil genocidal SS regularly during the whole war.
>>
Hitler was a spoiled highschool dropout coming from a fairly wealthy family and if WW1 didn't happen he would have ended up as a NEET leeching off daddy's wallet.
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.