[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Dear /his/ How/when/why did the Inner City go from "absolute

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 3

File: main_1200.jpg (119KB, 1200x793px) Image search: [Google]
main_1200.jpg
119KB, 1200x793px
Dear /his/
How/when/why did the Inner City go from "absolute slums which people avoided at all costs" to "the most prestigious and expensive place, the place where people actively seek to move to"?
>>
>>1817959
I mean inner cities in general, not just New York
>>
>>1817959
After white people moved in and cleaned up the place, i.e. after they were gentrified. 25 year rule btw, get fucked.
>>
>>1817975
Yes, but what started the gentrification?
I'm not really sure white people moving in is the only thing acting as the catalyst.
What convinced them to move back in the first place?

>25 year rule btw, get fucked.
what?
what
>>
>>1817959
It's the other way around anon, inner cities are still shit everywhere except for NYC. Chicago inner city is like half rich and half total Africa. Now the rest:

>St. Louis
Shit

>LA
Shit

>Miami
Shit

>Detroit
Haha

>Cleveland
Shit

>Milwaukee
Shit

>Houston
Shit

>Dallas
Shit

>Cincinnati
Shit

>Pittsburgh
Shit

>Philadelphia
Shit

>Phoenix
Shit
>
>>
>>1817986
how do the people afford to stay in the shit parts of the inner city then? From what I can see it's still stupid expensive despite being Africa
>>
>>1817990
It's still less expensive than the burbs.
>>
>>1817959
They're only shit in North America.
Generally, in Europe, the rich live in the city cente and the working poor live in the suburbs.
>>
Gentrification has only happened in some US cities.

For the US, there was a crime drop in the late 90s attributed to

>the ban on leaded gasoline a generation earlier
>a shrinking percentage of young people
>a collapse in the price of cocaine caused by a good old fashioned price bubble
>legalization of abortion a generation earlier
>much more aggressive policing and increased rates of incarceration

In New York, in particular, the NYPD got very aggressive under Bratton and Guiliani.

It's arguable that media depictions of New York and collective boredom of the suburbs caused rich people to move in, which drove up property values past what poor people could afford, which reduced crime, but it's equally likely that crime dropping was what caused the rich people to move back to the city.

But yeah, places like New Orleans, Detroit, Baltimore, and St Louis are still third world cesspools.
>>
>>1817986
San Diego, the Bay Area, Portland, Seattle, Boston, Washington D.C., etc. all have gentrifying inner cities. You just cherry-picked the worst ones.
>>
>>1818109
San Diego inner city is shit but yeah it's improving. Portland, Seattle and Boston have been always white to begin with, nothing to gentrify. Portland especially has pretty much been a glorified hamlet and they only got white transplants.

>Washington DC

Now this is just shitposting
>>
>>1818121
I'll give you seattle being always white but Portland and Boston have really significant immigrant communities.

the only area in DC not gentrifying is anacostia. Look at the rent prices in the Shaw (a historically black community that used to be one of the worst neighborhoods in the country). Seriously, DC is on the upswing.
>>
>>1818121
DC is getting gentrified pretty hard my dude.
Only large US city that's gotten considerably whiter too, besides Atlanta.
>>
>>1818128
DC is still a gigantic shithole man. 50% black and crime through the roof.
>>
>>1818136
Crime is pretty concentrated and the city recently lost it's black majority.
I also learned it's the only large city with a disproportionately black police force, if this is any indicator of how fast it's changing.
>>
File: 441e9c199fb4c214dbb8d24d5b68803c.png (186KB, 710x1270px) Image search: [Google]
441e9c199fb4c214dbb8d24d5b68803c.png
186KB, 710x1270px
>>1818136
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crime_in_Washington,_D.C.#Statistics

Huge decrease in crime in the past 20 years.
>>
>>1817986

Houstons inner city is insanely gentrified dude. Anything inside the loop is ridiculous.
>>
>>1818109
I think it's still easier to name US cities that are failures than US cities that are successes.

Los Angeles is still extreme violent by first world standards.

Chicago is what New York was in the 70s

Philadelphia is what New York was in the 80s.

Those aren't cherry picked, those are the three largest cities in the US after New York.
>>
>>1818143
no more tetraethyl lead in the gasoline since 1996
>>
>>1818209
It's funny because guess which racial group has the highest lead concentrations in their tissue.

It's entirely possible that leaded gasoline inadvertently foiled the civil rights movement with a surge of inner city crime that destroyed all the black communities.
>>
>>1817981
It was seen as cleaning up urban blight. When a neighborhood has reached absolute rock bottom, it can only go up from there
>>
>>1817981
There's a chicken/egg sort of thing going on here.

Did crime drop because white people moved in, or did white people move in because crime dropped.
>>
>>1818224
No not really the cities abandonment of the inner city due to loss of taxbase, loss of jobs, the cocaine/crack epidemic led to the issues of the black community.
>>
>>1818245
Well, it's certainly not a single issue thing.

I'd argue that the combination of

>sexual revolution/single mothers
>leaded gasoline
>heroin/cocaine
>suburbs
>the breakdown of urban patronage economics

Pretty much smothered most of the potential of the civil rights era.
>>
>>1818241
Well when a black neighborhood gets decent it tends to not become Black anymore. Applies to any poor neighborhood but Black ones are the UR example in America is the obvious example.

If you want more investment in your city just make your inner cities safe and watch as the poor get driven out by hipsters, gays/middle class, yuppie (order of first to enter the gentrified neighborhood) and if you are lucky the upper class. improving city welfare leads to better investment in city real estate.
>>
>>1818259
This has to be the single worst thing about the US.

There's no such thing as a nice, working class city life.

If you aren't yuppie or above, you live either in suburbs or the ghetto.

I blame bad drug policy and bad /n/ policy.
>>
>>1818252
Not the sexual revolution but for single mothers it's more the instability (or the much forgotten aspect lack of presence) of the Black family being a huge part of Black history.

Also they epitomize the whole "missed the bus" that happened often when blacks weren't able to or ere too late in being able to utilize the same opportunities others did due to the social or political climate of the time like completely being left out from the "New Deal" jobs.
>>
>>1818274
Well, before the early 60s, male unemployment and out of wedlock births were closely correlated.

Beginning in 1962, out of wedlock births started to increase in black communities relative to male unemployment.

In between then and now, the rate rose from like 23% to 72%. These numbers came out of my ass, but the real ones are something like that.

Later on, Hispanic and then white communities started to show the same pattern.
>>
>>1818264
>If you aren't yuppie or above, you live either in suburbs or the ghetto.

or the suburb OF THE SURBURB lol.

American cities always had cool stuff about them but huge flaws. No need to improve your buildings because if you or your group threaten to leave because massive rent but everything is falling apart they'll get new people in easily because housing is in huge demand. Thus you have expensive ass buildings with huge rent and leaking lead pipes. The Absentee landlords lived in a much better off place and the never saw their tenants if at all or their conditions of squander. after 1978 lead paint was banned from housing but many old buildings still have it.
>>
>>1818286
Historically Black women considered themselves widowed and i took some time until stat gatherers found out that they weren't really widowed but the father ran out.

However one must note that Black women and single mothers have been historically used as scapegoats. ie programs throughout the world that dealt with single mothers and teen pregnancies never took the male into account.
>>
>>1818312
I don't honestly have a problem with that.

I mean, buildings should meet basic "nothing toxic around, all the appliances work" tenants rights sort of deal.

But no shit it's more expensive to build a building 20 stories high than 20 one story high buildings.

If you can't afford to live in a city, don't live in a city. It's that easy.

The problem is that those urban areas that aren't too expensive for the working class become too dangerous to live in.

That's a social policy problem.
>>
>>1818319
I dunno.

If you use birth control until such time that you are married, this shouldn't be an issue.

If he runs off, you sue for child support and alimony, because he's legally obligated to provide for the family, and you know exactly who it is that did it.

The problem is people choosing to have children when they have not created an adequate future for them.
>>
>>1818325
>>1818319
What is curiously absent from this conversation about the "single black mother" phenomenon is the disproportionate rate of incarcerations of black men. This did a lot of undermine what little stability there was, and added immensely to the poverty of everyone involved.

Of course, racists have over 9000 reasons for "why" all these black men were imprisoned (and upon release were largely ineligible for any kind of social/economic advancement), but the impact of prisons on the urban decay cannot be overstated.
>>
>>1818264
That's part of the reason why capitalism is hellish
>>
>>1818322
>But no shit it's more expensive to build a building 20 stories high than 20 one story high buildings.
Depends on land values.
>>
>>1818349
See, the problem I have with this hypothesis is that the urban decay happened before mass incarceration did.

In between 1963 and 1973 the murder rate in the US like doubled. There was no surge of incarceration in the generation before that.

Mass incarceration is something that began in the 80s and 90s, and crime has only fallen in the generation since then.

There are 88 available men for every 100 black females in the age bracket associated with childbirth.

This is a huge social problem, but it doesn't explain why more than 70% of all black births are out of wedlock. Even if we assume that a third of potential mates are felons, the numbers simply don't add up.

Part of this is the lack of males that can contribute to the family economically, but even two minimum wage jobs beats one.
>>
>>1818366
I mean construction cost and externalities per square foot of living space.

When you throw in parking, utilities, and the cost of transportation infrastructure, it's pretty easy to figure out why living in cities is so expensive.

I'm not sure it's possible to have a world where living in cities is cheaper than in the suburbs. Maybe if energy shortages make suburbs more expensive.

I don't have a problem with that, that's the market allocating resources efficiently. What I have a problem with is crime and poor transportation forcing people out of the cities when they'd otherwise live there.
>>
>>1818368
I agree that modern mass incarceration didn't happen until later, although it can't have helped the economic situation very much.
>>
>>1817975

same thing is true for sydney and the inner city was 99% white when it was slums
>>
>>1818396
Yeah, but a lot of the people going to prison actually were gang members, delinquents, and other people who'd be killing each other. These people then spend a significant amount of that 15-35 bracket where most crime happens in jail.

It harms the economy quite significantly, but I suspect it reduces crime.
>>
>>1818403
>gang members, delinquents, and other people who'd be killing each other.
Naturally those were the charges. I can't really defend criminality, but I always think it's interesting to look at the causes. Why do some people join gangs and others don't? Do some people really want to join gangs, or do they do it because there are literally no other options (at least for the average person, there are always exceptions who can escape the hood). The factors always seem so overlapping and more nuanced than "cuz niggers lol"
>>
>>1818431
Certainly, mass incarceration is an expensive, mediocre substitute for real social policy.

But purely as far as crime, and its effects on urban development, it is a significant improvement over what came before it.
>>
>>1818109
Washington DC is still half third world and half rich. It's always been that way. Gentrification is minor here.
Thread posts: 43
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.