[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Which battle/siege was the most brutal or horrifying in history?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 7

Which battle/siege was the most brutal or horrifying in history?

>Battle of Cannae
More than 50.000 romans obliterated by a smaller Carthaginian army, incredible bloodshed on one day.

Which battles or sieges would you nominate? I thought about the siege of Carthage, but i don't know enough about the siege itself.
>>
>>1815949
>when the siege of Stalingrad is so unbelievably horrible that people forget that Leningrad still had 4,436,000 Soviet casualties
>>
File: seccturk.jpg (34KB, 443x380px) Image search: [Google]
seccturk.jpg
34KB, 443x380px
What is any battle related to Turkic/Mongolians.
>>
File: 1466290032249.png (148KB, 540x960px) Image search: [Google]
1466290032249.png
148KB, 540x960px
>>1815949
>>
>>1815949
The Somme.
>>
>>1815949
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Julu
>>
Maybe The Battle of Verdun?
>>
File: 1463971853298.png (1MB, 2792x3112px) Image search: [Google]
1463971853298.png
1MB, 2792x3112px
>>1816052
>>
>>1815949
fully surrounding a force and preventing them from fleeing is actually a terrible idea as far as ancient battles go, you're forcing fight instead of flight
>>
>>1816137
ave cesar
>>
>>1816137
ave cesar
>>
>>1816141
Unless, you know, you actually want to kill them all without chasing down routers.
>>
>>1816137
>puts the SPQR on Germania to try and hide their failure
ahahahahaahahaha
>>
File: 160015BA-0.jpg (74KB, 500x662px) Image search: [Google]
160015BA-0.jpg
74KB, 500x662px
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Changping

Around 260 BC, Qin sends 550,000 to fight against Zhao's 450,000. After the Qin surrounds the Zhao and kills their general, the Zhao surrender.
Because they didn't want any pesky burdens on their food supply or release potential enemy fodder, the Qin decides to get rid of their prisoners of war by burying most of the 400,000 prisoners alive. 240 of the youngest are released to spread the news. The remains can still be recovered to this day.
>>
>>1815949
Verdun
>>
Leningrad seems pretty fucking horrible
>>
>>1816137
ave cesar
>>
File: Furor Teutonicus.jpg (726KB, 1600x1065px) Image search: [Google]
Furor Teutonicus.jpg
726KB, 1600x1065px
>>1816177
bahahahahahaha
>>
>>1818724
Is it possible these ancient china history exaggerate the military number? I heard the most common is multiple by ten.
>>
>>1815949
>I thought about the siege of Carthage, but i don't know enough about the siege itself.
I know enough.l Hell on earth.

Imagine you're a roman.

Atticus just died next to you. Head smashed in with a roof tile. A 13 year old girl threw it. The street is on fire. The ditches are filled with bodies.
You look up at the rooftop the tile cam from. Romans burst onto the rooftop. They're covered in blood-they slaughtered every man, woman and child in that building. They do the same the families on the roof. They die screaming. fighting.
So has everyone else in this fucking city. The dead will outnumber the captives 7 to one when it's over.
Literally none are soldiers. Doesn't matter.

The guys on the roof are getting pelted. Javelins, slingstones, random shit. They throw down planks and move to another roof to butcher more families and stop it. Good. You can't fucking advance down the road with that shit coming down on you. Not with more of these baby killing punics on the ground with actual weapons.

The house comes down. It was on fire the whole time.

Bodies tumble out. Moaning. Small children, old people, cripples. The punics hid them in the walls. Most burned to death. Not all.

You march on. Guys behind you drag the bodies into the ditches with iron hooks. They don't bother killing them. They'll suffocate soon enough.

Descriptions of the siege from polybius are fucking horrifying even today.
>>
>>1816158
An entire army worth of roman escaped off the field at cannae.
>>
Pick a WW1 battle and it's probably up there on the top of the list.
>>
File: china260bce.jpg (27KB, 320x284px) Image search: [Google]
china260bce.jpg
27KB, 320x284px
>>1818889
Usually the "battles" are more like campaigns during this time. Combined with this and the centuries of escalating warfare, large-scale agricultural/engineering projects, increasing centralization, and the abundant fertility and availability of Chinese farmland, I say these numbers are not impossible.
>>
>>1818889
>Scipio, when he looked upon the city as it was utterly perishing and in the last throes of its complete destruction, is said to have shed tears and wept openly for his enemies
>>
>>1818724
>>1816096
What is up with gooks and burying each other alive?
>>
>>1818943
I guess it's more efficient than making them lounge around in concentration camps.
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.