[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>tfw realizing human practiced surgery without anesthesia

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 6

File: aayfeel.jpg (59KB, 829x800px) Image search: [Google]
aayfeel.jpg
59KB, 829x800px
>tfw realizing human practiced surgery without anesthesia for thousands of years

Why is history so horrifying?
>>
>dead children were so common nobody even gave them funerals
>dead babies were so common they weren't named until they were toddlers
>child death was so common people emotionally distanced themselves from newborns
>>
File: trains.jpg (182KB, 935x1077px) Image search: [Google]
trains.jpg
182KB, 935x1077px
>>1814413

pls no senpai
>>
>99% of your life was back breaking labor in some tiny farming community in the middle of nowhere and your only form of entertainment was sex and drinking poorly distilled home made with
>if you weren't a normalfag life was pretty over for you
>most people didn't travel 20km away from their village in their lifetime and had no concept of the world beyond it
>>
File: 1460941849409.jpg (50KB, 600x451px) Image search: [Google]
1460941849409.jpg
50KB, 600x451px
>>1814413
>>
>>1814402
>what is alcohol
>>
>>1814423
>>if you weren't a normalfag life was pretty over for you
autists would become monks, artisans and scribes
>>
Just think about the internet for a sec.

Mind-boggling
>>
>>1814767
not even.

opium and anticholinergics.
>>
>>1814767
alcohol thins the blood, makes you bleed out faster.

The last thing you want to do before surgery is drink.
>>
>>1814841
Not like they knew that 1,000s of years ago.
>>
File: bz-09-18-09-CivilWar.jpg (278KB, 432x514px) Image search: [Google]
bz-09-18-09-CivilWar.jpg
278KB, 432x514px
>>1814402
People in the future will look back at the present and shudder to think we used radiation to treat cancer.

If any of you anons have a chance to take a history of medicine course, do so. I've been meaning to go through my old notes and make a thread some time. I think it's fascinating (and often pretty horrifying.)

Here's some fun reading for you, OP
>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trepanning
>>
>>1814423
>99% of your life was back breaking labor in some tiny farming community in the middle of nowhere and your only form of entertainment was sex and drinking poorly distilled home made with

Sounds good tbqhfam.
>>
>>1814413
Grimdark.
>>
>>1814990

They did.
>>
>>1814813
Autism correlates with retardation m8
>>
>>1814413
>yfw having children didn't cost $100,000 and financially destroy you
>yfw more children meant more farmhands
>yfw you could have many children and spend your life raising them as you wanted without a nanny government forcing them into indoctrination programs as you work 60 hours a week to pay for them as they grow up without really ever knowing you.

It's not so bad.
>>
>>1814841
put on wounds, not to drink idiot
>>
>>1815359
>person who idealizes having a dozen children to remain viable as a farmer considers public school government indoctrination centers
By God it fits!
>>
>>1814423
I can only speak for medieval times but it wasn't bad. People worked less hours than we do today. They had way more free time as well. Also your lord had to hold a feast for you 2 times a year. Sounds pretty sweet to me.

You'd be fucked if the harvest failed though.
>>
>>1815378
Didn't most people start work at like 4 in the morning then stop around mid afternoon to rest and get shitfaced?
>>
File: 1459250213903.jpg (59KB, 655x527px) Image search: [Google]
1459250213903.jpg
59KB, 655x527px
>>1814767

>alcohol is anywhere near an effective substitute for anesthesia

Anon that's retarded. Alcohol is a shit tier drug that would only make you feel even worse afterwards.
>>
>>1815981
>afterwards
>implying you would even survive
>>
Toilet paper wasn't invented until Victorian times and not widely available or comfortable until the 1920's. Early pre twentieth century TP could even give you splinters.

We truly live in the greatest time to be alive.
>>
>>1815166
>Cave paintings indicate that people believed the practice would cure epileptic seizures, migraines, and mental disorders
How do you get all of that from a cave painting?
>>
>>1815999
Reminder the average person browsing 4chan is likely living better quality lives than royalty 100 years ago
>>
>>1814413

<citation needed >

The Paston Letters specifically describe one of their neighbours being distraught and grieving for more than a year after her baby died.

Infants who had died are also frequently shown amongst family members on their parents effigies.
>>
>>1815393
>>1815378
>5am with the cock call
Some roosters are weird and call earlier than 5 and were more expensive because of it.
>did whatever work that had to be done until the sun was in the middle of the sky
>what ever hadn't been finished by then was wrapped up and then you had the rest of the day to yourself

To be honest, after you had the day to yourself, jobs never really stopped. They just weren't as important, or more relaxing. Around this time was when you went travelling, shopping, or whatever other shit you had to do. They didn't get drunk as much as you thought they did. Medieval alcohol was a hell of a lot stronger than it is now, so the hangovers would be miserable.

Most drinking took place around winter and they would save up on alcohol. If the harvest was fucked, food in storage would be cracked out or the Lord would buy some from elsewhere and call in help from another town to see what the fuck was up.

Every farmer was in a guild at the time, so if one of the farmers was going under, the guild would assist him to prevent starvation and dirt to their name. Farmers did very well for themselves back in the day. Agriculture became more market oriented, farmers did even better.
The trope of the "poor farmer" is more an indication that the farmer is a shitty, lazy, drunken farmer whose harvest got fucked.
>>
People had high pain tolerance and were constantly exposed to getting maimed, severely ill or extremely hungry all the time. It wasn't painful to them like to us autists in the present
>>
>>1816079

The Ties That Bound : Peasant Families in Late Medieval England also has several accounts of people reacting to the death of babies and infants.

Turns out that medieval and ancient people, were people, not emotionless automatons. They had hopes and dreams for every one of their children exactly like modern parents and felt it just as keenly when they lost one, at any age.
>>
>>1816102

I doubt this; speaking as someone who's been through months of hospitalization at a time for inflammatory bowel disease where your immune system tears apart your intestines and you shit blood and scar tissue while vomiting literally as frequent as 20 to 30 times a day, I've learned that just because you're in pain and suffering more often doesn't mean you become less sensitive to pain and suffering in any significant way.
>>
>>1814402
>>1814423
The most horrifying thing is that people lived a life barely above that of animals for tens of thousands of years prior to the agricultural revolution. That is what humanity was for most of its existence. We really are just ascended apes.
>>
File: givemeabreak.jpg (10KB, 372x290px) Image search: [Google]
givemeabreak.jpg
10KB, 372x290px
>>1816102
>people actually believe this
>>
>>1816057
>quality lives than royalty 100 years ago
That's laughably false.
>>
>>1816173
100 years is definitely too recent, but depending on what your define as "better quality lives" one could easily argue we live much better lives than old royalty.
>>
>>1816134
I had a hangnail once. Hurt like a motherfucker.
>>
>>1816173

Could anyone 100 years ago get unlimited amounts of bottled or canned soda just by swiping their debit card on a vending machine? Or order any psychoactive compound they feel like and have it delivered to their home a day later?
>>
>>1816173
>>1816200

Or read any book or watch any tv show or movie or learn the answer to any random questions they have through use of smartphones connected wirelessly to a vast international computer network?
>>
>>1816200
You could buy drugs like heroin, cocaine, marijuana at convenience stores and 100 years ago you could buy soda at the same store. However you would pay with cash, probably, not a debit or credit card.
>>
>>1816181
Maybe in terms of food quality and variety. Maybe.

But all the internet, sugary drinks, and ice cream in your mother's basement can't compare to the life of a literal fucking king in any century.
>>
>>1816210

>having to go to a store and interact with other people
>having to keep piles of money on you to buy things

I don't know senpai, I live at a hotel with a debit card compatible soda vending machine and I think that beats most living situations from 100 years ago.
>>
>>1816220

>no internet
>no smartphones so you can access the internet from everywhere

I wouldn't trade that for being an older era king.
>>
>>1816230
I bet in your next post you'll say playing Europa Universalis is better than the real thing too.
>>
>>1816235

It is. You don't have to go outside to play it. How is this debatable?
>>
>>1816235
It is. If you gamble wrong in EUIV, all you have to do is reload the save.
>>
>>1816247
> not playing on Iron Man
>>
>>1816266
>returning to the main menu and loading the last autosave

The important bit is that your backstabbing play to claim two thrones at once in EUIV just has reloading as a downside, not beheading or defenestration.
>>
>>1816221
Or you got your servants to do it for you retard
>>
>>1814402

Anon the only way for medical science to progress is to kill hundreds in order to save thousands. I'll never say it is a good thing but this is what we made of medical science. We are flawed humans not gods with a mighty touch for creation.

Trial and error applies for everything and it's justified by the value we give to human life.
We are so keen on surviving for another 15 years that we'll experiment on a 16 year old boy to hypothetically and temporarily save others, leaving this boy with the same dignity to die with than that of a lab rat. The end justifies the means and doctors and surgeons from all times will tell you that.

But don't tell them they're butchers, or else... well they'll take your organs anyway.

For playing god we will be brought down lower than the depths of hell while still living, i tell you that
>>
>>1816009
People holding their heads before it?
Thread posts: 50
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.