[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>intro to philosophy class >professor uses videos from

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: image.jpg (57KB, 900x900px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
57KB, 900x900px
>intro to philosophy class
>professor uses videos from pic related regularly and constantly talks about how well
Should I drop it, /his/?
>>
kek I don't believe you
>>
If it's intro, I believe it.

But then, intro is shit anyways.
>>
>>1813826
You could have just said
>>class
>>videos
>dropped
Stupid people often identified by their use of Khan Academy.
>>
>>1813844
w-what's wrong with Khan Academy [spoiler]for a general understanding[/spoiler]?
>>
>>1813866
Nothing as long as you're not paying someone to show it to you.
>>
>>1813866
The people I knew who learned math and physics from those videos and not books were mediocre and struggled on exams. They relied on those videos even in economics, and complained about how it was hard.

A well written book is just better. The whole idea explicated is available to you at once, and you're free to check each step visually and mentally with a movement of your eye. Video is hostile to a real "poring over".

Books have problems to solve. Solutions, given via text and imagery, faster and easier to parse. An idea is generalized with important parts readily near. The auditory element is superfluous and distracting. Important concepts are split through the video's runtime.
>>
>>1813926
A lot of people are not that good at reading to learn though. It's not a universal skill, nor one you can just train yourself to become good at. It works with the humanities but fuck if I ever was going to learn something about science or math from a book
>>
>>1814085
>A lot of people are not that good at reading to learn though.

Is this a skill you can improve at?
>>
>>1813866
>>1813926
>>1814085
It's very good for things you just can't get a mental picture of. At least for physics, it's all about having a mental picture of the process and using math to sort each piece out. The video helps you with this so it works as an introduction. Of course, if you're basing your whole study structure around it you're destined to fail.

t. Starting my physics masters,
>>
>>1813826
>Take a introduction to X class
>being upset you're getting spoonfed simple shit
>>
>>1813826
Don't they have lesson plans up? Go have a look at what you're doing in the next weeks, if you're covering something covered in one of these School of Life videos then you can be sure he will play that particular clip.

Just like any source it can be used to present information in a certain way, so go have a look through comments on the video, whether than be on youtube itself or using the archive here, just something that discusses the video in some form. Generally a lot of these introductions are dumbed down to the point where they miss elements or disregard something. If you find out what that is then you can question the teacher about it.
At that point you should know whether the teacher is lazy, a fanboy, or doesn't have any idea what they're talking about.

Alain de Butthurt is a great source of amusement though, a glorified self-help book writer. When he's not promoting his cult he's getting trolled by first years.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.