[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why were there no Orthodox monastic warrior orders like

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

File: Varangian Guard.jpg (94KB, 770x446px) Image search: [Google]
Varangian Guard.jpg
94KB, 770x446px
Why were there no Orthodox monastic warrior orders like the Knights Templar?
>>
well those warriors orders were born from the crusades and the byzantines were too pussy to help so that's probably why
>>
>>1813268

Oh dear.
>>
Catholicism is like an Orthodox fanfic, they could break with doctrine and make shit up.
>>
>>1813336
other way around, orthodoxy is like a fanboy imitation of catholicism but with none of the depth
>>
>>1813340

What? They are identical in terms of length of history and total amount of doctrine and rituals.
>>
>>1813376
But not in terms of systematic theology, where the Orthodox are utterly eclipsed not only in terms of quantity but also in quality even by the Protestants.
>>
>>1813554
I'll grant quantity, but not quality. Catholicism has some utter shit in its theological canon like:

>purgatory
>transubstantiation
>endless legalism
>bodily assumption of mary
>immaculate conception of mary

The list goes on
>>
>>1813904
I don't think you know what systematic theology is...

The Orthodox approach to systematic theology is essentially "we don't know, we don't want to know," which is why there is really no systematic theological tradition to speak of in the east. Whatever inroads in this endeavour exist have been made in the last century and come, frankly, no where near the likes of St Thomas Aquinas, Scotus, Saint Bonaventure, Saint Albert the Great, or even recent Catholic theologians like Peter Kreeft. There is simply no tradition to build upon, to refer to, or to work with, and the result is that everything is reduced to the mystical and the arcane like Neoplatonist magic.
>>
>>1814009
Christianity is nothing more than mystical and arcane, why are you trying to philosophize it?
>>
Da fuk are you two yo-yos talking about in here?

Anyway this could be a cool thread.

Post MOAR Byzantine military shit and speculate on why they had no monastic fighting orders.
>>
>>1814009
As an outsider, trying to put logic to Christianity has done it more harm in the long run by turning God into a true or false proposition. Once the church failed to prove him true, being false was the remaining option.
>>
File: 1397524640686.jpg (175KB, 640x498px) Image search: [Google]
1397524640686.jpg
175KB, 640x498px
>>1814071
Ok.
>>
>>1814073
Simply not true. Modernism and specifically biblical criticism are the source of the current crisis. The Church and the faith were profoundly positively affected by systematic theology. Thomism and scholasticism carried the faith for many centuries and, frankly, still do today.

>>1814026
Because philosophy informs spirituality in the same way that the dogmas of the faith do. It is a necessary part of being a serious, thinking Christian as opposed to doing what one is told because he is told to do it.
>>
>>1814101

wait a second if they're all from different times then how are they standing around getting drinks from a sex slave boy??? how did they take this picture???
>>
>>1814125
Why is orthodoxy more orthodox than Catholicism nowadays then friend?
>>
>>1814125
>Modernism and specifically biblical criticism are the source of the current crisis. The Church and the faith were profoundly positively affected by systematic theology. Thomism and scholasticism carried the faith for many centuries and, frankly, still do today.

Modern philosophy, the enlightenment and the reformation sprang in part from this pattern of questioning and attempting to put logic to the Christian faith. You'll note that these things only reached the east from the west, rather than springing up on their own there.
>>
>>1814141
Not very difficult to answer: because of the aforementioned modernism. We had been warned of this by many saints and, supposedly, by the Blessed Mother herself. The prophecy of Bl. Ann Emmerich is worth reading, and it's worth looking into the Passion of the Mystical Body of Christ also.

>>1814145
I'm not sure what that has to do with what I said. The problem was never any external change from secular or schismatic sources. The Church successfully weathered such developments, as she has always done, until the 19th - 20th century when those developments ceased to come from external sources. The problem is neither theological nor philosophical in nature.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.