[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>"Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 5

>"Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword."
- Matthew 10:34

>"But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don’t have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one."
- Luke 22:36, NIV

Discuss.
>>
How fucking expensive were cloaks back then?
>>
>>1810092
How fucking cheap were swords back then?
>>
>>1810032
Jesus was a warmongering psycho, of course. That's why he also said things like;

>A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another: just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another.
- John 13:34

And inspired his followers to say things like;

>We love because he first loved us.
-1 John 4:19
>>
>>1810174
He had double personality desorder
>>
>NIV

Found your flaw.
>>
>>1810032
Open to interpretation. What do you think about this? Do you think it as literal or a metaphor? Do you think the world needed peace or it needed to be razed? What of revelations? Yada yada yada
>>
>>1810032
It means that Christianity is not a pacifist cuck religion as liberals want it to be.
>>
Edited crusader propaganda.

True christians have no problem licking the feet of their fellow man not part of their faith in favour of fighting in foreign lands to help their brothers and sisters currently being slaughtered for believing in Christ.
Who cares about some of the oldest christian communities out there and some of the oldest churches being blown up when you can lick all those delicious and superior muslim feet?

DEUS VULT
>>
>>1810032
Likely metaphorical or just simply not said by him. The Bible is a contradictory mess but Jesus consistently never used or advocated violence and repeatedly denounced it, a few militant passages doesn't change the obvious and extreme pacifism of his life and teachings.
>>1810246
>>1810254
Ah yes, the classic Crusader LARPers who don't understand any religion, not even their own, and who treat them as sports teams to be pointlessly fought over.
>>
>>1810323
angelus domini nuntiavet muhammad
>>
> I came not to send peace, but a sword.
Just another proof of J. Christ being J. Caesar.
>>
>>1810185

>doesn't use Dead Sea Scrolls for Deuteronomy 32:8
>instead uses the cover up versions (Masoretic text) because the Jews were afraid.

dropped immediately
>>
>>1810323
>Jesus consistently never used or advocated violence
What is expulsion of merchants from the Temple?
>>
>>1810323

>Beat the piss out of the moneylenders in the temple with a whip

Suuuure
>>
>>1810330
Jesus believed it was his destiny to destroy Caesar.
>>
>>1810582
>be muslim
>make up some phony story that Jesus was a failed Muhammad
Creative writing is not history, you mong.
>>
>>1810662
>make up some phony story that Jesus was a failed Muhammad
It's one of the most popular academic theories on Jesus, all Aslan did was present it to a layman audience.
>>
>>1810032
>Matthew 10:34
Did you ever read the following verses?
>>
>>1810327
mods ban this fucking shitposter already. yes i am mad, triggered and fucking butthurt. he ruins every thread.
>>
Cucks, it refers to the basic fact that Christ wanted Christianity to spread across the world. Obviously that couldn't happen entirely by peaceful means. When Christ spoke those words most of the world were still pagan shitholes. So what he meant was that he didn't want to maintain the status quo peacefully, but rather wanted his disciples to overthrow to status quo.
>>
>>1810323
>Likely metaphorical

Like "son of god"?

>or just simply not said by him

Like all the rest of it?
>>
>>1810174
Christianity abuses the word "love" to the point of making it meaningless.
>>
>>1810686
This. He was an apocalyptic, second temple-era itinerant preacher. There were many of them, and a common feature of the movement was a heavily anti-Roman sentiment; part of the reason for the popularity of the apocalyptic mindset was distrust of Rome and frustration of being controlled by a foreign power. There's a reason most of the revolts of the time (including many minor ones) were led by people like Jesus.

It's commonly accepted that Jesus was anti-Roman and carried many of the same revolutionary ideas that his contemporaries did. There's plenty of support for it in the Bible as well. Azlan didn't do anything except write it in a book aimed at normies instead of other academics.
>>
>>1810455
>>1810467
He never attacked the moneylenders. He got angry and flipped over tables and drove the animals out with a whip.
>>1810742
>Like "son of god"?
Jesus being a divine part of God was a later development. The early Gospels and Paul's letters don't talk about him like he was a primordial divine entity.
>Like all the rest of it?
Well, it's hard to know exactly what he said, but there's enough similarities between the different sources to get a general idea. The Gospels and letters didn't just appear out of thin air.
>>
>>1810335
>Dead Sea Scrolls
What do you mean?
>>
>>1812888

Dead Sea Scrolls have the original textual passage to Deuteronomy 32:8 which is vitally important on how YHWH allotted the nations to other people
>>
Jesus is foreshadowing what's to come in the book of Revelations

Revelation 19:15
And out of his mouth goes a sharp sword, that with it he should smite the nations: and he shall rule them with a rod of iron: and he treads the wine press of the fierceness and wrath of Almighty God.

Revelation 2:16
Repent; or else I will come unto thee quickly, and will fight against them with the sword of my mouth.
>>
>>1810582
He did ultimately do that, though, didn't he?
>>
File: Crusade_36cd1a_6048831mobile.jpg (59KB, 371x395px) Image search: [Google]
Crusade_36cd1a_6048831mobile.jpg
59KB, 371x395px
>>1810174
>Book of John
>Not full of lies
Pick one.

After you've picked one, sell your cloak, buy a sword and reclaim Jerusalem.
Deus Vult
>>
>>1814165
You mean El Elyon. YHVH receives specifically Israel from El Elyon as his "inheritance".
>>
>>1814260

No evidence can be made that El Elyon is El or a deity specific in the ancient near east called Elyon, it's more of a title as Elyon is used of other deities but not of El nor any evidence suggesting a cult of El as Elyon. I know where this comes from and it's from Mark S Smith's literature on this but he's doing more guess work than actually reading the passage.
>>
>>1814326
>No evidence can be made that El Elyon is El or a deity specific in the ancient near east called Elyon
wew, apparently you haven't read any of the Ugarit texts
>>
>>1814334
>wew, apparently you haven't read any of the Ugarit texts

yes I have and it's Elyon that is not found to be connected El, unless you found something in corpus that Ugaritic scholars haven't found, Elyon is connected to Baal, but not to El. El as Elyon is not found in the Ugaritic corpus. I have found some evidence outside that could suggest that Elyon could be El but it's too speculative. Experts have admitted it, the DDD has admitted it and so there's no reason to speculate that Elyon is El.
>>
>>1814339
Somehow I was under the impression the passage said El Elyon, not Elyon by itself. thanks for correcting me
>>
>>1810032
Nigga he's talking about the strife his teachings will cause. How he will set brother against brother, and father against son. He wants to overthrow the world and bring about the kingdom of God. That's going to cause more than a little disruption.

Don't remember the context of the second passage.

The expulsion of the money lenders and the advocacy of drowning by millstone are the only time he enacts or calls for violence.
>>
>>1810174
>warmongering

can you explain how jesus traded in war? an example of warmongers would be barbarian tribes who used war for gain and advantage, neglecting other productivities like trade of goods or agriculture in favor of it
>>
>Luke, did I ever tell you about that time when a man was possessed by a demon, and I went over to him to exorcise him. After I found out that the demon was Legion and forced him out of the man's body, he asked me to possess a herd of pigs instead of being sent back to Hell. I let him do that and then the 6 trillion pigs threw themselves off a cliff and drowned, after which Legion was forced to go back to Hell. He was a good friend.
Thread posts: 38
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.