[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Religion holds humanity back in a lot of ways. Galileo, creationism,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 10

File: ]o.jpg (29KB, 415x415px) Image search: [Google]
]o.jpg
29KB, 415x415px
Religion holds humanity back in a lot of ways. Galileo, creationism, all that sort of thing. So once religion is dead, will humanity begin to progress much faster, ethically and scientifically?
>>
wtf I hate god now
>>
File: Pepe.png (59KB, 230x244px) Image search: [Google]
Pepe.png
59KB, 230x244px
>>1807114
>>>/r/atheism
>>
>>1807114
Why is that priest near the kid.

Shouldn't the psychiatrist do something about that?
>>
*tips fedora*
>>
>>1807114
why do people even make comics like these

do they think they're witty? it's really cringeworthy
>>
File: 1460349959839.jpg (18KB, 346x394px) Image search: [Google]
1460349959839.jpg
18KB, 346x394px
>humanity
>progress
>faster
>ethically
>scientifically
>>
>>1807114
>Galileo was about science
Galileo was a whiny little bitch about being right and caused a public ruckus.
>>
File: comic.jpg (172KB, 648x434px) Image search: [Google]
comic.jpg
172KB, 648x434px
>>1807121
>>
>>1807125
It used to be witty when the Church had still social influence. Now it's basically beating a dead horse with "le funny jokes xD".
>>
>>1807114
You forgot equality the destroyer of civilizations.
Christianity will pay for its crimes.
Before I go I will take many of you with me.
>>
File: Max-Stirner.gif (7KB, 170x200px) Image search: [Google]
Max-Stirner.gif
7KB, 170x200px
>>1807114
People who hang out with spooks shouldn't talk about imaginary friends.
>>
>>1807114
t. reddit

off you go lad
>>
File: 1456067610840.jpg (61KB, 500x573px) Image search: [Google]
1456067610840.jpg
61KB, 500x573px
>>1807184
>Before I go I will take many of you with me.
>>
File: a148165-004-1336224F.jpg (20KB, 335x450px) Image search: [Google]
a148165-004-1336224F.jpg
20KB, 335x450px
>>1807192
You should expand your horizon of philosophers sharing a similar position. Parmenides sounds like a good start.
>>
>>1807231
>not Protagoras
>>
>>1807114
Atheism is to philosophy and the humanities as water is to paint. Related, but a downpour destroys the art.
>>
>>1807231
I actually love Parmenides. It frustrates me that no one gets that that was what Zeno was trying to illustrate (which I suppose is Way of Truth and Way of Opinion, right there). I got turned on to that school of thought through Adi Shankara, first.

I tried to make Zeno posting a thing, but it never took off as a meme. Because first it would have to get half way to being a meme, and then halfway from there, and so on.
>>
File: carlos_of_athens.png (61KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
carlos_of_athens.png
61KB, 225x225px
>>1807321
>I tried to make Zeno posting a thing, but it never took off as a meme. Because first it would have to get half way to being a meme, and then halfway from there, and so on
Carlioso!
>>
>>1807114
Great post OP, it really makes me think.
>>
File: Nikolaus_Kopernikus.jpg (51KB, 556x648px) Image search: [Google]
Nikolaus_Kopernikus.jpg
51KB, 556x648px
Reminder that heliocentrism was developed by a literal Catholic priest.
>>
File: Caparezza_Italia_Wave.jpg (55KB, 615x426px) Image search: [Google]
Caparezza_Italia_Wave.jpg
55KB, 615x426px
>>1807321
>>1807242

>I try to sass a Stirnerposter by suggesting him to read Parmenides.
>the idea was trying to tell him he was essentially stifling any kind of discussion.
>mfw he actually has read and likes the guy.
>>
Alright my niggas I am a religious person myself but I fail to see how creationism is holding anything back? It's literally on the subject of people's personal beliefs about how the universe began, not some shit like "we should starve all ginger children" or something like that.

I don't think I even need to talk about Galileo.

And getting rid of religion is gonna get rid of a majority of charity, and very sizable portions of healthcare and education worldwide.

Seems pretty retarded that what people choose to believe holds back progress, whatever that is. If anything, religion (except Islam perhaps) promotes a healthy spiritual part of the mind and being a better person, both with yourself and with others.

Do you happen to support Bernie?
>>
>>1807543
I wouldn't even bother. You might as well go hiking with a person who could tell you every property of a tree when you're just trying to enjoy the damn forest.
>>
>>1807114
You're as stupid as you probably look.
>>
>>1807457
Not him, but I'm also a Stirnerfag and I too have a hard-on for Parmenides. Maybe this might be something we all have in common...?
>>
>>1807114

If you like the way society has been "progressing" over the past few decades, wait until the western branchs of the desert religions have been stamped out, with nothing to hold anyone or anything back, should be a great ethical, moral, accepting scientifically based society

But watch out, the "need" for faith will help create all kinds of "new" faiths based on who knows what, whose principles and ideals are anyone's guess

Then will come a re-discovery of the old faiths and watch out, they will come roaring back with a vengeance, and Inquisitive return

You also forgot about Atheism, the most murderous"faith" of the 20th century, need to stamp that and it's adherents out too

Almost forgot about the major eastern desert religion, currently the fastest growing faith, while all others, save Atheism, are returning to darkened corners, Islam

The Islamic faith is a take no prisoners, literally, religion, questioning or decent is punishable by death, hate those "old time religions" Muhammad and the boys will ask you once to join, they do not ask twice

Oh but you will fight, you will reason, you will point out the error of their ways

How do you fight an idea

How do you destroy and idea

How soon will you give up and simply join

Are you willing to die, to deny others their faith
>>
>>1807135
To be fair, the vatican still is covering up Pedophiles within its ranks.
>>
>>1807543
It's not creationism itself that people attack, it's the mentality that creationism is a symptom of.
>>
What sort of asshole sends their kid to the psychiatrist for having an imaginary friend?
>>
>>1807135
That's almost as cringey as OP's comic. Nobody said anything about Roman Polanski. Your posting this in this context just comes across as "Stop reminding everyone of things I don't like to acknowledge, focus on something else!"
>>
>>1807114
No, because our religious devotions will simply shift to other things.

Political idealogies, racial superiority, consumerism etc. These are all modern replacements for the religion of yesteryear.
>>
>>1809729
Oh, believing God instead of the devil?

Yeah, that's really holding humanity back. From hell.
Thread posts: 33
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.