[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Nowadays there are centuries of different norms and values at

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

File: Hekate.jpg (19KB, 218x314px) Image search: [Google]
Hekate.jpg
19KB, 218x314px
Nowadays there are centuries of different norms and values at our disposal to identify with. Thus, one maybe conflicted with defying this current age and its normalized standards while relating solely to another culture in time that is no longer looked up upon.

It this normal, as in it this actually sane? Can history alter one's perception in ways that are off the norm?
Are personal experience and knowledge of the past accepted behaviors supposed to bring us closer to the contemporay norm? Or is defiance a correct reaction? Speak what's on your mind to help some anon understand his edginess.
>>
>>1806658
I can't speak to the morality of the act itself, because that is dependent on the meta-ethical view we're talking about.

But I WILL say that identifying with distant (geographic and historical) peoples is what ended the dark ages and created the Renaissance. So the act definitely has the potential to revolutionize a populace. Furthermore, the case acts a precedent for the idea that other cultures and times would be better or at the least can be learned from.

Pic related.
>>
>>1807145
I think that Americans should be imitating Austrians & Central Europeans. Before Nazism, that culture was the greatest on earth.
>>
>>1807145
At what point does a civilization realise the need to look back in order to advance itself?
>>
>>1810416
when things get very bad
>>
>>1810416
I'd say that it happens when what you see looking forward looks terrible and what you see when you look back is fine.

Personally speaking, I feel this way about culture in the western world. I think that the principles of the French revolution, which pretty much every 1st world nation embraces, have degraded culture while accelerating economic and technological growth. Unfortunately, the institutions in these countries have worked very hard to demonize the past (and those who like it) while presenting a utopian vision of the future.

A looking back will only occur when the stranglehold on information and education held by western institutions crumbles and other options crop up. I have hope that the Internet may serve this purpose, but I believe that we'll have to fight for control of it.
>>
Archeofuturism by Guillame Faye was a great read.
>>
i think the modern world needs to look back at ancient greece and ancient rome

the way we live today is just not healthy for humans. droning away at a 9-5 (or worse), spending hours in traffic, etc is just terrible but that's how the majority of the people in first world countries live these days
>>
>>1806658
I dunno, maybe go actually fucking study history

For starters the Persian Empire was much more 'tolerant' and diverse than any modern state

Imagine if Obama lived inside a castle of Russian architectural style, ate Iranian food on a daily basis with his family and quoted Confucius often, all the while being at war with China and Russia simultaneously
>>
>>1810730
Not sure if a good shitpost, spillover from /pol/ trying to be subtle or just retarded

>>1810730
You're aware the overwhelming majority of humans that ever lived had much more regimented, tedious and laborious lives than the average overworked American white collar worker by a fucking longshot, right

Not everyone was Alexander the Great or Nietzsche, most people were farming most their waking time or getting cancer in factories
>>
>>1810770
>i dunno, maybe go actually fucking study history

Well my bad, mods please delete the thread

>>1810709
Thanks for your input, I actually thought I was thinking too much about this all thing

I was thinking of reading stuff like Joseph de Maistre's, do you have any recommendations? Not necessarily from the same era, but close to the point you're making would be great

>>1810715
Thanks I'll check it out

>>1810730
Would you say we have gotten lazy or wrongly influenced?

I agree yet it feels whenever you think of marginalizing yourself, there's no going back. Are occidental countries more fucked on this regard? Could be just me
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.