[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What does /his/ think about war reenactments? When I was a

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 8

File: maxresdefault.jpg (131KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
131KB, 1280x720px
What does /his/ think about war reenactments?

When I was a little kid, my dad and I used to go to pretty much all of the ones which happened in the area where I live. I always liked the camps and skirmishes. I know it's kind of campy and dorky, but lately I've had a desire to check some out again, or maybe even take a shot at actually reenacting myself. Any of you guys have much experience with this kind of thing?
>>
>I always liked the camps and skirmishes
Yes.

I'm sorry original poster.
>>
File: rich-iott.jpg (78KB, 485x365px) Image search: [Google]
rich-iott.jpg
78KB, 485x365px
>>1805913
It can be a great way to sink your campaign for office
>>
File: chadman.jpg (7KB, 300x200px) Image search: [Google]
chadman.jpg
7KB, 300x200px
No better than fantasy LARPers
>>
>>1805913
I think it's good and interesting
>>
in Spain it´s a part of the tourism industry and they are excellently done
>>
>>1805929
Seems like a bs thing to be ruined politically over. On the other hand odds are good you'll find at least a few neonazis at your local wwii reenactors club.
>>
File: 17760871878_d305725a25_h.jpg (423KB, 1600x898px) Image search: [Google]
17760871878_d305725a25_h.jpg
423KB, 1600x898px
>>1805931
I never said it was better. It just appeals to me more than fantasy LARP stuff because it's based in historical fact. Plus I just love black powder firearms. I'm thinking about getting a replica Brown Bess.
>>
>>1805913
My only problem with them is that they're always crammed to the brim with old and fat people.

Like most of the people fighting for say, the Confederacy, were straight up malnourished boys and not 50 year old fatasses. It completely ruins any sort of immersion.
>>
>>1805937
Sounds like a nice job to me
>>
>>1805947
Yeah, I'm fat as shit, but at least I'm within the age range that troops actually would've been. I wouldn't be particularly interested in Civil War stuff, I'd be leaning towards American Revolutionary War stuff and French and Indian/Seven Years war. I'm pretty close to Fort Ticonderoga, and there was a a Revolutionary War rearguard action skirmish not too far away from me either.
>>
>>1805913
Seriously anon, go for it, I started reenactment just under 2 years ago and I haven't looked back!
>>
>>1805931
>dressing up in magic and dragons cosplay is THE EXACT SAME THING as being proficient in multiple areas of history, an academic discipline

I usually enjoy your turkish shitposts too, but damn, let people enjoy themselves
>>
>>1806296
This.
>>
>>1805913
Stupid hobbyist shit. Hope to god there aren't world war I reenactments
>>
>>1805947
Old and fat people is just the average amateur or professional historian, there's very few women in the field and young people don't have nearly enough free time between school work and trying to get a job
>>
>>1805957
>I'm fat as shit
With a reenactment group there might be at least one thing you fit into.
>>
>>1806307
>women

Literally who gives a fuck about women, they almost never participated in wars as actual combatants. I'm not enough of a virgin to require a pair of tits in every interest I have.
>>
File: main_1200.jpg (152KB, 1200x758px) Image search: [Google]
main_1200.jpg
152KB, 1200x758px
>>1806304
u wot m8 gott mit uns
>>
>>1806312
>Literally who gives a fuck about women
I do since I am one. My question to you is, why is it admirable to give up your autonomy for a state who has colder interests at heart? The ideals projected onto wars are always that, projections to make men fight against men.

Honestly don't see the honor in giving up and fighting for a nation who couldn't care less if you lived or died.
>>
>>1806320
That's right sister! I'd like more women, people of color and queer minorities participating in my Sturmbrigade Dirlewanger reenactnment group, feel free to join us.
>>
>>1805913
>500 years from now.
These ladies and gentlemen are the proud United States Marines! See them as they patrol the streets of Iraq for hours on end, doing nothing- OMG AND IED! Such were the battles of the old US Marines!
>>
>>1805913
I used to be interested in reenacting

I tried to join up with a few Wehrmacht groups because that's what I'm interested in, but they were all very firm on getting the message across that they weren't Nazis
One of them even had a "holocaust education class" funded by the Israeli minister for education. Very offputting desu. Some of the public who come to these events are very hostile towards German reenactors as well because "M-muh six million".
>>
>>1806336
>That's right sister! I'd like more women, people of color and queer minorities participating in my Sturmbrigade Dirlewanger reenactnment group, feel free to join us.

I don't mean like that you silly willy. I mean in the context of "who gives a shit about women". I'm meaning, it implies there's a positive of being drafted into war. There really isn't. It's honorable sure, but really it's sacrificing your own self for the greater will of a nation.

Some people get off on that, I don't. I don't see that as appealing, or something to be admirable. Honorable perhaps, not admirable.
>>
>>1806320
>Honestly don't see the honor in giving up and fighting for a nation who couldn't care less if you lived or died.
it's cause you're a woman ;)
and also the country who don't care about you is the place were your family live and there is the woman and child that you want to protect in it
>>
File: Terminal Lance Historical.gif (52KB, 700x355px) Image search: [Google]
Terminal Lance Historical.gif
52KB, 700x355px
>>1806338
>>
>>1806312
>>1806336
>what kinda posts you want senpai?
>just derail my shit up
>say no more
>>
>>1806344
Except we are talking about reenactnment group so literally who gives a fuck about women when it comes to it?
>>
>>1806355
Anon I merely mention women aren't a sizable portion of the history academic field and you go on a tirade about "Who gives a fuck about women", dude, it's reenacting, they could be nurses or whatever, stop your shit, it's not that serious
>>
>>1806345
>and also the country who don't care about you is the place were your family live and there is the woman and child that you want to protect in it

It's also the place that's killing our sons. For what? This was the biggest take away from the first world war. And to a lesser degree, the second. Korea, Vietnam. "Modernist" warfare, war of attrition.

The lives lost weren't worth it. Maybe care less that I'm a woman but care more I'm capable of being a mother and caring more for the cost of a naive soul who's drafted and gives away his human life for a death by an enemy he never knew.

Nations never fight wars with the best intentions today, or in the past. You could learn more by reading and listening to the men who fought in these conflicts, than circle jerking over national pride.

Most agreed it was never worth it, particularly World War I. There was no reason they couldn't just, get out of the trenches and leave, or embrace. But they were ordered to stick in the mud and die and rot over petty political squabble started by Germany.

Strength and pride do not equal superiority, they mostly equal submission in this context.
>>
>>1806366
They could also be a bunch of Serbs pussying out and converting to islam because they were too scared to fight, just saying.
>>
>>1806373
wasn't that Albania?
>>
>>1806336
kek
>>
>>1806371
>petty political squabble started by Germany.

Oh boy, here we go!
>>
>>1806336
>Sturmbrigade Dirlewanger reenactnment group

The funniest part about this post is that such a group (or several) probably actually exists.
>>
>>1806347
Someone post that picture of the WW2 soldier pretending the artillery is his dick.
>>
I participated in a few small scale 1812 reenactments that were pretty fun but not super accurate.

Some are pretty cool though.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ng3WOK_e94k
>>
I've always wanted to go to a reenactment and dress up for the wrong time period.
Y'know, showing up as a Roman to the Revolutionary War.
>>
File: [raughing intensifies].gif (2MB, 320x200px) Image search: [Google]
[raughing intensifies].gif
2MB, 320x200px
>>1806336
>>
I've wanted to do Anglo-Zulu War/ Boer Wars reenactment, but i don't know any groups that do it.
>>
>>1805913
Working as a professional military history interpreter for living museums, I am now and forever ruined to hobbiest level portrayals.

I mean, I still do them, but I judge silently.

>>1805931
I reenact, recreate (IE: generalized history rather than specific events) and larp, as well as study historic fencing. Embrace the geek and have fun dude.

>>1805945
What brand? Don't call it a brown bess if you don't want to be laughed at.

>>1805937
Do you work in the field? I am Colonial Williamsburg (Mid to late 18thC, US war of Independence), and formerly Jamestown Settlement (Early 17thC English Colonial)

>>1805947
American Civil War living history is the cringiest of all, and should be avoided.

>>1806304
Tons. One guy in PA with a lot of land will even make fresh craters in his fields for events.

>>1808743
Unoriginal and overdone.

>>1808815
Where are you located? Its a hard sell in the US due to cultural sensitivities
Thread posts: 41
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.