[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is a patient with bipolar disorder and suicidal thoughts more

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

File: 3761666.jpg (1MB, 1010x1000px) Image search: [Google]
3761666.jpg
1MB, 1010x1000px
Is a patient with bipolar disorder and suicidal thoughts more likely to attempt suicide during a manic or depressive period?
>>
when coming down from a manic period.
>>
I'm bipolar. I wish the government would make it mandatory for the mentally ill to be euthanized at the nearest gas chamber to put us out of our misery.

t. Not manic
>>
>>1806597
Ever read that article NY the penny arcade guy about his mental illness.
>>
>>1805276
>>>/adv/

>>1806597
that's extremely drastic, you act is if mentally ill people are hogs to be slaughtered, they're people with the full range of emotions as you or me, having difficulties other's don't doesn't somehow remove their rights
>>
I could be wrong, but I think a lot of the time it happens during mixed states, because that's when you have both the depressive desire and the manic capability.

Mixed episodes fucking suck.
>>
http://psycnet.apa.org/psycinfo/1999-10282-008

>Patients with bipolar disorder have a high risk of committing suicide, but determining the exact risk is complicated. For many years, the lifetime suicide risk in bipolar disorder was accepted as 15%, but recent researchers have suggested that the lifetime suicide risk may be lower. The group of bipolar patients at highest risk of suicide are young men who are in an early phase of the illness, especially those who have made a previous suicide attempt, those abusing alcohol, and those recently discharged from the hospital. The risk is also increased in patients who are in the depressed phase of bipolar illness, who have mixed states, or who have psychotic mania. Lithium prophylaxis appears to decrease suicide attempts. (PsycINFO Database Record (c) 2016 APA, all rights reserved)
>>
>>1806704
and

http://link.springer.com/article/10.2165/00023210-200317070-00003

>Suicidal acts often occur early in the illness course and in association with severe depressive and dysphoric-agitated mixed phases of illness, especially following repeated, severe depressions.
>>
>>1805276

What's the difference between the bipolar disorder and mood swings? Legit question not trolling I have no knowledge of this disorder, although a relative was said to have it I never noticed a difference, while another closer relative has always seemed off no one ever said anything, at least directly so I wonder
>>
>>1806720
>>1805276
Though you're more likely to do something gleefully stupid that gets you killed during a manic phase.

That said: >>>/sci/ or >>>/adv/ (though I'm not bothering reporting.)
>>
>>1806731
Mood swings fluctuate more rapidly. Bipolar disorder is fluctuating moods over the course of weeks or months. Additionally, the mood shifts are extreme, from depression to mania, causing psychotic symptoms in the worst cases. Less extreme cycles are called cyclothymia
>>
>>1806920
Can mood swings evolve into bipolarity? Do the moods just take over your behavior or can you control it?
>>
How is it different than having multiple personalities?
>>
>>1806982
The aetiology of bipolar disorder is very complex and poorly understood.

>>1807007
It's the same personality with radically altered mood states.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.