[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why did medieval scribes leave so much empty space on the margins

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 3

File: illuminated_bible.jpg (455KB, 1500x1122px) Image search: [Google]
illuminated_bible.jpg
455KB, 1500x1122px
Why did medieval scribes leave so much empty space on the margins when paper was so expensive?
>>
File: london_bl_add_43725.jpg (851KB, 1024x1029px) Image search: [Google]
london_bl_add_43725.jpg
851KB, 1024x1029px
>>1805169
I mean look at this.
>>
looks cooler
>>
Maybe to allow a person studying these texts to add sidenotes? I've seen this in bibles too, granted those bibles were post printing press so it might be a shit example.
>>
>>1805169
After binding a book the pages are cut. You need space for that. Also books weren't always stored in the best conditions. The text would still be untouched if the book took any damage.
>I only made this up though and have no actual clue.
>>
>>1805169
Several reasons, for starters there's lot of space for annotations and emendations.

They're also built to last, so if you rip or burn the page chances are it won't reach the text.
>>
>>1805169
edges get damaged more easily
>>
>>1805169
Space for annotation.
>>
>>1805207

The first bit. They didnt go down to the ye olde boke shoppe and bought a blank book and filled it in like a notepad or sketchbook. Each page was written out and illustrated individually, then it was all sewn together to match later.

Part of the process involves shaving down the edges so they're all the same size and the writers didnt want to risk part of the text being taken with it, possibly through multiple bingings and repairs.

Not to mention, having a lot of blank space is a show of wealth. That you can afford extra parchement or paper to just leave it blank, rather than trying to cram as much text in as possible.
>>
File: book of kells.jpg (464KB, 1024x1440px) Image search: [Google]
book of kells.jpg
464KB, 1024x1440px
always leave some room for doodling
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.