[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

would the roman empire have lasted longer if diocletian never

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 2

would the roman empire have lasted longer if diocletian never divided it between the east and west?
>>
No

And considering the Roman Empire lasted for another thousand years, I'd say Diocletian did a pretty good job.
>>
>>1804277
>lasted 1100 more years because of the split
>could it have lasted longer united

it may have been unintentional, but the splitting the Empire was akin to removing a parasite for the Eastern Half, which had the wealth of Egypt, Greece, and the Levant be used to garrison and develop the comparatively rural Gaul, Iberia and Britannia.

The Western Empire's collapse was exacerbated by the loss of the eastern provinces, with only Italia and North Africa being real money-makers in Western possession having to defend the borders at the Rhine and Danube.

While the split doomed the West, it was a godsend for the East, which was now able to use the richest provinces of the Empire to defend itself against Persia, the only real threat in the area until the rise of Islam.
>>
File: 1447032095138.jpg (69KB, 685x842px) Image search: [Google]
1447032095138.jpg
69KB, 685x842px
>>1804290
>Eastern
>Roman
>Empire
>>
>>1804610
>Butthurt
>Western
>Scholars
>>
>>1804464
>only Italia and North Africa being real money-makers in Western possession
You're kidding, right? Italia was fucked due to agricultural lands degenerating from overuse. Latium was a black hole that sucked in food from the newer, fresher provinces.
>>
>>1804744
It doesn't work that way, my Turko-Greek friend.
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.