[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So what would our historical equivalent be of The Elder Scrolls

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 3

File: Skyrim bandit.jpg (184KB, 636x699px) Image search: [Google]
Skyrim bandit.jpg
184KB, 636x699px
So what would our historical equivalent be of The Elder Scrolls series? I'm thinking technology wise mostly. Medieval? Or would it be Italian Renaissance?
>>
It's a fantasy world and the games cover several centuries. There's no "equivalent", it ranges from Antiquity to Renaissance.
>>
>>1800368
TES is fantasy and a plethora of everything from Nordic Feudal Systems to Vedic metaphysics. There isn't really a historical equivalent.
>>
>>1800368
>fantasy universe with steampunk elves that became the skin of a giant robot god of fedoras.
>what is it's historical equivalent.

The Hwangook empire.
>>
Mate, it is all over the place. But their armour tech hoes up to the 16th century
>>
File: 1437464479607.jpg (117KB, 528x528px) Image search: [Google]
1437464479607.jpg
117KB, 528x528px
>>1800368
None, since TES has magic that surpasses even our image of futuristic technology. That changes everything. Culture and economy haven't developed in the same way as in our world.
There might be superficial similarities here and there, but it's totally different.
>>
What confuses me is that in ESO gunpowder exists because we see and use cannon onboard ships. However, bombs doesn't seem to exist, and neither do guns.
>>
>>1800394
Well you can use alchemy/crafting to create an arrow with the explosive power of an atom bomb. Also where to cannons appear?
>>
>>1800368

Late antique Rome. Reflected in the architecture, people, dress, the existence of a Rome-themed Empire, etc. Although admittedly the lorica segmentata is anachronistic.
>>
>>1800368
The Dwemer created a magical robot that transcends reality and breaks the space time continuum, there are even space ships in the lore ffs.
Most "average" equipment is either late antiquity to early middle ages, but some equipment can get up to what this anon said>>1800384
>>
>tfw c0da comic never

still hurts lads
>>
>>1800394
>ESO

There's your problem. No gunpowder in TES, never has been and it's likely the reaction it relies on doesn't work on Nirn.
>>
>>1800605
c0da is shit

Sorry kirkfags, but not everything MK shits out is gold.
>>
>>1800368
Oblivion was the last decent addition to the series and even then had fucked a lot up.
This isn't very /his/ relevant.
>>
>>1800394

Why would you need a cannon when you have people who can shoot massive exploding fire and lightning balls from their hands?
>>
>>1800629

There were cannons and muskets in TES Adventures Redguard
>>
>>1801348

Same reason you would enchant an arrow.

You can never have too much kill in your killing tool.
>>
>>1800678
>Oblivion was the last decent addition to the series and even then had fucked a lot up.
Oblivion was fucking shite. Skyrim is far closer in inspiration and aesthetics to Morrowind than Oblivion will ever be. That said: The presentation of the story has always been shit. Bethesda simply can't into storytelling.
>>
>>1801710
>enchanted cannonballs
Just think about it.
>>
>>1801729
There's a fantasy book (or was it a series of books? I forgot...) by a guy who wrote Warhammer Fantasy novels (about Gotrek & Felix if you are familiar).

It's about a 17th/18th century-equivalent world with muskets, tricorn hats, colorful uniforms... except at some point in the past, it got invaded and subdued by overpowered magic wielding elves with dragons (and the dragons' less developed cousins, DINOSAURS).

It has giant quadrupedal dinosaurs carry armored platforms filled to the brim with rifled musket wielding soldiers.

Just typing the above out makes me cringe and sets of autist alarms but I swear it's magnificent fun.
>>
>>1801725
I like how TESfags compare everything to Morrowind as if it was a "Morrowind series", not huge series with many different and diverse games.They think it started with TESIII.
I bet most never even read anything about the previous games let alone played them.
>>
>>1801729
>Level up to 60 enchanting
>Finally get the storm explosion enchant
>Enchant some cannonballs
>Only enough for about one broadside
>Go sailing
>Fight off pirates with normal cannonballs
>Suddenly, the entire fucking Aldmeri fleet arrives
>No fear
>Load the enchanted cannonballs
>FIRE!
>Cannonballs fly
>Explode on impact with the strength of a thunderbolt
>Hull catches fire while the electricity goes into the water and starts a chain reaction with all the other ships
>>
>>1801725
>Bethesda simply can't into storytelling.

Arena and Daggerfall was pretty good, especially Daggerfall. Graphics are obviously shit compared to what we see today, but it is pretty cozy to dungeon crawl in these games.
You can get them for free at their site, you need to get DOSbox aswell though.
>>
>>1801769

To be fair, both Arena and Daggerfall are painfully unremarkable, and TESA: Redguard and Battlespire are fucking obscure.
>>
In Morrowind, "The Lusty Argonian maid" clearly has influences from the Italians, specifically from Giovanni Boccaccio. This can't be denied, it is common knowledge. Common knowledge.
>>
>>1801775
You remember that shit? I'm 30 years old and even I don't remember Arena. I only remember Daggerfall since it was bloated as fuck and so bugged it couldn't even be completed without several patches.
>>
>>1800368
TES takes inspiration from the Roman Empire to Nazi Germany. It doesn't really have a real world era equivalent but instead takes inspiration from multiple real world eras.
>>
>>1801781
Daggerfall was HUGE back when it got released.
>>
>>1801781
>Daggerfall
>painfully unremarkable

Morrowfags are cancer.
>>
>>1801790
>You remember that shit

Nah, I was 1 year old when it came out. It wasnt a success when it came out, they kinda fucked up in the start. Orginially it was supposed to literally supposed to be an arena type game. But they changed to rpg/dungeon crawling.

> I only remember Daggerfall since it was bloated as fuck and so bugged it couldn't even be completed without several patches.

True, if I am not wrong, it still holds the record for being the biggest game in areal. They had to random generate dungeons and crypts, and this really messed up the game. Creatures and loot you were supposed to take care of could spawn in a fucking wall, and you had no chance to fix it other than to save before you entered.
>>
>>1800601
>that previous version
BIG O, SHOWTIME
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y8QAeJk3q94
>>
Dark ages. Seige equipment, forts and armor are simple.
>>
>>1801348
According to tes lore, casting a canon velocity fireball is grandmaster level mana and is done slower.

Casting is weaker than other fantasy worlds.
>>
>>1801791
Thalmor = Nazis
Talos worshippers = Jews
Empire = Vichy France
Stormcloaks = Resistance
>>
I just came to post that I will never again have as much fun in a quest line as some of the ones in Oblivion.
>grand champion is actually half vampire
>haunted house you can buy
>anything to do with the count of skingrad
>entire dark brotherhood questline
>entire mages guild questline

I loved morrowind too, and it may be nostalgia goggles, but all skyrim's stories in quests seemed terribly similar and flat. The only one I can really remember is that chick turning a guy into her thrall and his dead kid solves the quest for you. Dungeons were pretty comfy though
>>
>>1801794
>>1801800

>Procedurally generated, generic fantasy stretch of NOTHING for hundreds of miles
>Worse quests than skyrim
>Worse NPCs than morrowind
>Worse combat than oblivion
>Shit loot
>Shit towns
>Shit music
>>
>>1801956
>plate armor in dark ages
>>
>>1802045
>have fuckhigh sneak skill
>clear entire dungeons without an enemy so much as spotting you
>>
>>1800368
There is a LOT of historically inspired content in Elder Scrolls, but not all of it is contained in one thing.

I wondered if there was something to be said for Men being Indo-Europeans and Mer as Afro-Asiatics
Thread posts: 39
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.