[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Summarize your favorite philosophy in a sentence with less than

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 7

File: marcus-aurelius-bust.jpg (39KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
marcus-aurelius-bust.jpg
39KB, 800x600px
Summarize your favorite philosophy in a sentence with less than twenty words. Others judge you.
>>
“‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’ This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’"
>>
"The line between good and evil cuts through the heart of every human being" -A.I.Solzhenitsyn
>>
gas the kikes, race war now
>>
>>1798822
So be a hysterical sycophant
>>
"Let the world be" - metal gear snake
>>
>>1798798
“The blood of the heroes is closer to God than the ink of the philosophers and the prayers of the faithful.” -Julius Evola
>>
Summarize "stoicism." My idea of it always seems to be different than another's.
>>
>>1798854
kneel before god so you can stand before men.
>>
If you only know the shadows on the wall, how will you know anything else?
>>
Do not let yourself be used by ideas.
>>
>>1798798
Nothing matters and you can't do shit about it
>>
>>1798880

Here you go, from Epictetus:

“What hurts this man is not this occurrence itself—for another man might not be hurt by it—but the view he chooses to take of it.”
>>1798831
>>1798822

"I am convinced that God is love; this thought has for me a pristine lyrical validity."

>>1798798

"O generations of men,
fleeting race of suffering mankind,
look, look on your hopes!
Look at your lives,
all those happy hopes
cut down with failure and crossed with death.
See, in endless long parade,
the passing generations go,
changing places, changing lives.
The suffering remains.
Change and grief consume our little light."
>>
We are animals that domesticated ourselves, and we are better off for it.
>>
>>1798798
"Treat yourself well, and treat others as you treat yourself; take no pride in accomplishment; don't judge,"
>>
>>1798956
Ah, thanks for that Epictetus line. I was thinking as a summary something along the lines of "everyone is destined with a role in the universe and trying to go against destiny causes them misfortune." Probably too specific of a description to fit all of stoicism?
>>
>>1798798
Only force exists.
>>
>>1798798
To crush your enemies
To see them driven before you
And to hear the lamentation of their women
>>
File: Conan.jpg (140KB, 806x808px) Image search: [Google]
Conan.jpg
140KB, 806x808px
>>1799031
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ZY2mRG5mzg
>>
>>1799000

There isn't really one specific description you can use for Stoicism, but yours is very common. The beliefs you find most commonly between Stoics and Eclectics who use Stoics is that we can use our rationality to not be adversely affected by things (lie in Epictetus' quote), and that we ought not to be concerned with things outside of our control:

There are things which are within our power, and there are things which are beyond our power. Within our power are opinion, aim, desire, aversion, and, in one word, whatever affairs are our own. Beyond our power are body, property, reputation, office, and, in one word, whatever are not properly our own affairs. . . Seek at once, therefore, to be able to say to every unpleasing semblance, “You are but a semblance and by no means the real thing.” And then examine it by those rules which you have; and first and chiefly by this: whether it concerns the things which are within our own power or those which are not; and if it concerns anything beyond our power, be prepared to say that it is nothing to you.
>>
>>1798798
"gas the kikes race war now"
>>
>>1799041
Who are you
>food for Wolves

Is there a better movie?
>>
File: Thomas_Hobbes_(portrait).jpg (199KB, 1109x1169px) Image search: [Google]
Thomas_Hobbes_(portrait).jpg
199KB, 1109x1169px
In the State of Nature, life is solitary, poor, nasty, brutish, and short.
>>
File: Walter.jpg (11KB, 200x200px) Image search: [Google]
Walter.jpg
11KB, 200x200px
>>1799143
It's a film, Donny.
>>
idgaf
>>
>>1798798
"All thoughts are fundamentally irrational."
True skepticism
>>
"Live life how you want and not how others tell you, pursue you interest and help people because YOU want to, not because others tell you that you must."
>>
All life is equal, we can only make advantages for our lives if we decide this is irrelevant. I'm racist.
>>
>>1798897
Shut the fuck up plato
>>
Am I a good person? No. But do I try to improve myself? Also no.
>>
File: pay blood tax kul.jpg (86KB, 607x608px) Image search: [Google]
pay blood tax kul.jpg
86KB, 607x608px
>>
>>1798897

>Implying there's a perspective outside our sensory (that is, the only) experience, accessible to us, from which we can declare our sensory/only experience to be merely a shadow

Schiller was forever right in saying that there is no phenomenon, only noumenon.
>>
>>1798798
I do whatever I like when I want, but act dignified so people believes I'm a serious guy.
>>
All your life in search of the truth only to realize than even the truth is just another collectible for rich people.
Thread posts: 35
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.