[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What caused the revolution of nu-theology in Protestantism?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 6

File: re.jpg (223KB, 605x1026px) Image search: [Google]
re.jpg
223KB, 605x1026px
What caused the revolution of nu-theology in Protestantism? It seems like it's spreading like wildfire, more and more Protestant denominations are having things like gay marriage.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9QsJ4c0DL6I
>>
it's just edgy homosexuals lighting the corpse of Christianity on fire then taking a shit on it as the last ultimate fuck you.
>>
File: feel.gif (17KB, 418x500px)
feel.gif
17KB, 418x500px
>>1798072
>Ywn save your religious sect from degeneracy
>>
>>1798072
This isn't what Luther asked for.

Reeeee
>>
>>1798143
It pretty much is. He said we should strive to sin, because the Devil hates it if our conscience isn't bother by sin.
>>
Seems like the lack of a centralised authority telling them to cut out stupid shit results in things like this
>>
99% of christians are just atheists with an imaginary friend

thankfully christianity is dead
>>
>>1798072

Protestant denominations have been gradually shedding off aspects of their theology since Martin Luther and John Calvin.

One of the reasons progressive or mainline Protestant denominations are embracing gay marriage and (increasingly) transgender causes is a capitulation to the Sexual Revolution, selective interpretations of the Bible (that cater to indulgence and personal desire), and an ignorance of or disdain for concepts like sin and the virtue of patient suffering in favor of "love" and "kindness". In an effort to avoid being judgmental, intolerant, or hateful it's essentially become a Christianity that's entirely focused on being "nice"; which isn't really Christianity at all.

Increasingly mainline Protestantism, certain parts of the Catholic Church, and even many evangelical churches in the United States are indistinguishable from mainstream progressives; just with an emphasis on spirituality and an abridged Jesus.

Mencius Moldbug and Ross Douthat have good thoughts on this.
>>
>>1798160
Yeah it really sucks that we don't have a bunch of atheist nerds spending our tithe money on faggy statues. That would be way better than just going to a different church that doesn't support degeneracy.
>>
>>1798178
>Douthat
THE DELEGATES
>>
>>1798173
Christianity needs to be updated to fit the regular every day people of the 21st century.
I think people wouldn't feel so depressed if they understood it.

For example Christianity doesn't give a fuck about homosexuals or who you fuck.
They only start to care about who you fuck when it involves cheating. Once it involves cheating you're fucked.
And not to be 'sexist' against gays or whatever but they do cheat a lot so. That's why God doesn't really like them. It has nothing to do with the fact they are gay.
'Gay life style' most of the time but not all of the time, leads to degeneracy. God doesn't mind degeneracy but he does if it's too much.
You could argue we live in a time where cheating is seen as acceptable.

I still have a lot of work to do understanding it myself.
>>
File: kek.jpg (188KB, 842x714px)
kek.jpg
188KB, 842x714px
>>1798160
Is that so?
>>
>>1798072
>prods always shit on us for believing in evolution
>meanwhile they do shit like this
>>
>>1798201
>>1798200
>>
>>1798178
While unlikely, its possible that Ross Douthat is a secret far-righter who puts on a cuckservative facade in order to not get fired/whacked. I'm probably giving him to much credit though
>>
>>1798200
>Gays are bad, trust me, god said so
>What do you mean, love thy neighbor?

Protestants, ladies and gentlemen.
>>
>>1798215
Love your neighbour, but do not indulge his sins.

You can love him without becoming a doormat you know
>>
>>1798215
Catholics will defend this
>NEW YORK, September 23, 2016 (LifeSiteNews)—A Catholic parish is promoting a pro-homosexual “Pilgrimage of Mercy” and not planning on denying its participants Holy Communion when they attend Mass as part of the pro-LGBT event in October. The parish is also hosting a speaker from the nation’s leading homosexual lobby group, the Human Rights Campaign, today. The Archdiocese of New York declined to comment on both events.

>On September 22, the parish sent out a mass email advertising the LGBT event.

>“Join us on Sunday, October 2 for a pilgrimage to celebrate and recognize LGBT faithful Catholics in the United States during this Extraordinary Jubilee Year of Mercy,” the announcement to the parish email list said. “The pilgrimage begins on the Upper East Side at 69th St and 5th Ave, proceeds through Central Park, and ends at St. Paul's in time for the 12:30PM mass. This event is organized by the Gay and Lesbian Alumni of the University of Notre Dame and St. Mary's College.”
>>
>>1798199

Christianity, whether you're drawing from the Old or New Testament, is pretty clear in it's condemnation of homosexuality.

There's just no getting around that.

>>1798211

I know that he reads Sailer and is at least familiar with (and probably sympathetic to) the neoreactionaries if not the alt-right. He definitely opposes Muslim migration to Europe and mass immigration in the United States although he uses a genteel tone when he does so.

Generally I see him as the guy that puts a respectable face on certain types of right-wing CrimeThink for vaguely centrist NYT readers. At the end of the day though he's a Catholic traditionalist and isn't really fond of the alt-right's attraction to Nazi and fascist tropes.

I do wonder how far his power level goes though
>>
>>1798201
>I can't differentiate Mainline and Evangelical

But, to OP's question, blame New England liberal Puritanism and Philadelphia's Quakerism
>>
>>1798072
More proof of the truth of Catholicism and the fruit of heresy.
>>
>>1798072
It's the natural end point of protestantism.

>>1798143
Yes it is. You asked for this.
>>
>>1798271
This shit is why the Inquisition needs to be reestablished to investigate unorthodox priests. If we can't do anything about heretical followers we should at least purge heretical priests.
>>
>>1798271
Any open fag who takes communion is basically committing a even greater sin by doing so.
>>
>>1798288
You don't need an Inquisition for this.
>>
>>1798288
We have CDF, i.e. the Roman Inquisition, which Ratzinger used to run before becoming pope. He chose the "wait until they die from old age" method over the "excommunicate them all" method. Time will tell if this was the right move.
>>
Why do these people think that sarcasm implies wit or intelligence?
>>
File: pope-francis-1.jpg (96KB, 1240x930px) Image search: [Google]
pope-francis-1.jpg
96KB, 1240x930px
>>1798279
>>
>>1798178
LOL moldbug

Go back to pol
>>
File: 1458855483642.jpg (115KB, 1280x720px)
1458855483642.jpg
115KB, 1280x720px
>>1798868
>>
The only good fundamentalists are Quakers
>>
>>1798892
Quakers are EXTREMELY liberal
>>
>>1798868
>>1798875

What exactly are your objections to him?

I didn't take his neo-formalist shit all that seriously but his posts about political philosophy and 20th century history are fascinating.
>>
>>1798274
The Bible also says women are below men in every way and are only here to bare our children.
Which they are, I agree with that. But it seems like we can just pick and choose.
I don't give a fuck about homosexuals.
>>
>>1798072
It's simply religion operating as usual. It has to adapt to the times. The alternative is death.
>>
>>1799147

> The Bible also says women are below men in every way

It is patriarchal in the literal sense of the word. Once you get over the obsession with "muh equality" that's not such a big deal

> are only here to bare our children

I wouldn't say that. That were valued in their own right, just not as "equals".
>>
>>1799183
Okay take this in the 'literal sense of the word'
>Let a woman learn quietly with all submissiveness. I do not permit a woman to teach or to exercise authority over a man; rather, she is to remain quiet. For Adam was formed first, then Eve; and Adam was not deceived, but the woman was deceived and became a transgressor. Yet she will be saved through childbearing—if they continue in faith and love and holiness, with self-control.

They are suppose to be beneath us. Not with a foot on their neck or anything. But were in a matriarchy.
Couldn't this verse apply to today quite to the 'literal sense of the word'
>>
>>1798072
Combination of the following:

-individual interpretation of scripture and a focus on using your feelings as a guide in theology
-study of scripture from a secular perspective
-lessening emphasis on the historical nature of the gospels

which lead to people treating Jesus as a modern liberal.
>>
File: 9780231166904.jpg (586KB, 350x525px) Image search: [Google]
9780231166904.jpg
586KB, 350x525px
>Blanton challenges the idea of Paulinism as a pop Platonic worldview or form of social control. He unearths in Pauline legacies otherwise repressed resources for new materialist spiritualities and new forms of radical political solidarity, liberating "religion" from inherited interpretive assumptions so philosophical thought can manifest in risky, radical freedom.

What did he mean by this?
Thread posts: 39
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.