[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Swords are overrated garbage >m-muh sidearm yeah handguns

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 5

File: sword.jpg (3KB, 299x169px) Image search: [Google]
sword.jpg
3KB, 299x169px
Swords are overrated garbage
>m-muh sidearm

yeah handguns are also sidearms and guess how often soldiers actually use them
>>
>>1797880
>yeah handguns are also sidearms and guess how often soldiers actually use them

If they were like swords then probably enough t o deal 5-7% of wounds, since that is not unheard of for swords
>>
Sword are good at killing saracens
>>
>>1797922
Source would be nice.
>>
>>1797931
Thomas Conlans work, I believe those numbers come from the battle of Osaka
>>
File: Warhammer.jpg (10KB, 550x550px) Image search: [Google]
Warhammer.jpg
10KB, 550x550px
You were always there for us, and we could always rely on you when armor got more advanced. You never got the praise you deserved, warhammer.
>>
>>1797944
>posting a 16th century cavalry hammer and unironically claiming it was for use against plate
>>
>>1797955
>claiming it was for use against plate
It was, they were, the 16th and 17th centuries were the height of plate armour.
>>
File: S5730-920-1.jpg (48KB, 920x520px) Image search: [Google]
S5730-920-1.jpg
48KB, 920x520px
>>1797944
Thanks for showing us how to stay strong, warhammer.
>>
>>1797959
son, that thing is for whacking down fleeing infantry, not for your illusion of knightly combat in shiny armour. Now go back to /tv/, tnx.
>>
>>1797979
Epic bait pham
>>
>>1797943
>osaka

I don't give a FUCK what a bunch of sushiniggers who got rekt by Yi Sun Shin when they tried to invade Korea (and at that time Yi had NO naval experience mind you) did. I'm talking about europe where the real battles were fought.
>>
>>1797989
kek
>>
File: 1418354279972.jpg (514KB, 900x658px) Image search: [Google]
1418354279972.jpg
514KB, 900x658px
Swords are fucking great. I love them.

I wouldn't say they're overrated as much as culture just can't decide how to rate them. In some senses ofcourse they are... I just watched the fantastic martial arts documentary from the 70/80s Budo The Art of Killing and it and many many more treat the sword like some magical physics defying work of art. Japanese swords especially.

That said swords are one of the very few things you can study for years if not decades and still find them just as, if not more fascinating than you did on day 1.

Swords aren't wonder weapons. They can't cut through stone or thrust through steel. They bend and break and their reach limits them against polearms and spears but they're also incredible works of engineering. Really the sword is the first aerofoil. They're made to be in motion and the science and fine craftsmanship that went into developing them is... honestly ASTONISHING. Check out any of the work by Peter Johnsson to get an idea of this.
youtube.com/watch?v=FiSoLMx3v0I

Swords are also endless entertaining for a martial artist. Every single part except maybe the grip is a serviceable weapon and pretty much anything you can learn from other weapons you can learn first from the sword especially two handed swords like the longsword. Master some longsword techniques... spread your hands further apart and your fight staff. Take a hand off and it's a single hand sword or even a knife. They're almost perfectly equal as a defensive and offensive weapon and that led to them being adopted culturally as symbols of honour and justice etc.

They were second to none sidearms but they were used as primary weapons plenty as well. Especially with a shield or most commonly when full plate was the order of the day.
>>
>>1798014
>They can't cut through stone or thrust through steel
I'm sure a sword could thrust through sheet metal or chop a block of sandstone
>>
>>1798014
>talks about swords
>posts a messer
>>
>>1797979
I work in a museum all about the 17th century and you make me sad.
>>
>>1798016
Even so you'd be wise to use something better suited.
>>
>>1797979
Yeah because fleeting infantry is enough of an issue that entire weapon needed to be made, the spike was also for fucking yourself in the ass when you got bored when there was no more infantry to chase, cuz what else would it be for, not steel plate, no way.
>>
>>1798019
Ash those Germans, bringing knives to swordfight, how fitting xD
>>
>>1798019
A Langes Messer which is a sword. That's a little big to be a knife and also such a late example we might as well call it a saber. May well be sold as a swiss saber I can't remember.

By all means tell me that they were technically knives because Germans weren't allowed to carry swords but provide a primary source if you do. I'd love to finally see one.
>>
>>1798014
>can't thrust through steel
Except when thrusting through niggas from horseback.
>The first aerofoil
That was the flint and bone arrow head and spear head thousands of years before
>Every part except grip is serviceable weapon
Doesn't know you can hit them with the pommel...
>>
>>1797979
low quality b8 my friend
>>
>>1798813
The grip isn't the pommel. The pommel isn't the grip.

>Except when thrusting through niggas from horseback.
Still isn't going to defeat steal with any regularity.
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.