[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

The Picts are different from the "Celts", but is the

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 3

File: Scatha L_tcm4-566187.jpg (103KB, 750x560px) Image search: [Google]
Scatha L_tcm4-566187.jpg
103KB, 750x560px
The Picts are different from the "Celts", but is the only real difference causing a cultural split the geography?
>>
Picts were a Celtic ethnic group

I bet you're one of those morons who think Anglo-Saxons weren't Germanic
>>
>>1794027
Picts are just the Celts of northern Scotland.
>>
>>1794027
Wait. Aren't the Picts justhe a Celtic tribe from northern Scotland
>>
>>1794039
>>1794049
They were basque, you bunch of dumbf*cks.
>>
>>1794163
We /x/ now
>>
Picts are a Celtic group who lived in Scotland. I'm not even sure what you're asking exactly.
>>
>>1794163
>>1794167
Also basque originated on the bottom of the sea, they all have gills!
>>
>>1794039
Anglo-saxons are just the last invaders. Their history is rather recent. Whats the name of the royal house?
>>
Why do english speakers pronounce celts are kelts?
>>
>>1794163
y u censor
>>
>>1794668
Isn't that the proper Greek pronunciation, because the Greek c was never soft (like the c in celery)?

Also in regards to the OP I think it was Bede that said Pictish was a separate language (or at least unintelligible) to the Brythonic language
>>
>>1794655

>the last invaders

Lol
>>
>>1794673
Because it was rude, even if they deserved it.
>>
>>1794690
The Norman one was just a bunch of aristocrats as opposed to a goddamned population movement the Anglo-Saxons pulled off.
>>
>>1794723

Don't use the word invasion then.
>>
>>1794681
The Old English c was like ch in church.
>>
File: 1437006278035.png (207KB, 600x453px) Image search: [Google]
1437006278035.png
207KB, 600x453px
>>1794757
>The Old English c was like ch in church.
>Chelts
>>
>>1794764
I was just saying that the Anglo-Saxons were not Celts. If the Anglo-Saxons were spelling Celts, they would probably spell it as Kelts.
>>
since we don't have any recordings of their language, we don't actually know who the Picts were.

But we can usually assume they were Celts, probably Brythonnic, just by the fact that that is what all their neighbors were.
>>
>>1794806
their arts are alike as well
>>
>>1794723

It's by no means clear on what scale the Anglo-Saxon migrations took place, and there's some evidence to suggest that it was essentially very similar to the Norman conquest: a foreign minority group rose to preeminence due to their superior military force and became a prestige culture, subsuming the culture of the majority because it was synonymous with the culture of power.
>>
>>1794832
Same goes for Celts. At the very least, the Celtic languages displaced previous non-Indoeuropean languages, the same way they would later be displaced.
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.