[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Tell me something about the Battle of Dukla Pass, /his/ my girlfriend's

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

Tell me something about the Battle of Dukla Pass, /his/

my girlfriend's dad is from this area and I was thinking of visiting next time I am in Slovakia,

How does it rank in terms of WW2 tank battles?
>>
>>1791519

I don't really know all that much about it, I'm afraid. I know it was an attempt to support a Slovak revolt, and it was something of a failure for the Soviet advance. It was a pretty large tank battle according to wiki at least, but I don't really trust their figures.

>How does it rank in terms of WW2 tank battles?

What does that even mean?
>>
>>1791548
Sorry
In strategic importance, in scale, was it well executed despite the result or was it a clusterfuck?
>>
>>1791519
Durkas tried to pass but path was filled with pork so they didnt
>>
>>1791622

Well, like I said, I haven't done any serious study of it, I'm just looking at a few old maps. The fighting is on a relatively small geographic scale; it certainly was a slow, bloody "advance" for the Soviets, which would point towards clusterfuck.

But especial given the relatively small area of the battlefield compared to the assets involved, my gut instinct would say that artillery was more important than armor here; tanks don't really do their best when they're head on confronting fortified positions and can't use that combination of mobility and firepower very well. They're primarily for breakthroughs or containment of the same from your opponent, when the battle is mobile and freewheeling, not slowly advancing through tremendous firepower.
>>
Looks like the Slovak uprising was supposed to secure the other end of the pass.

The Soviets were not planning on using the pass but changed their minds at the last minute to assist the Slovak National Uprising.

Slovaks got crushed. Never secured the other end of the pass.

Soviets already committed to blasting through the pass. End result -> Long bloody slug fest through a heavily fortified chokepoint.
>>
>>1791519
We make fun of Slovaks, because if it was not for the uprising, they´ll be amongst defeated nations in WW2.
>>
>>1792139
Slovaks were savvy enough to fight in both WWs on the both sides.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.