[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is your opinion on David Irving? He seems to have been

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

File: 1404272385116.jpg (27KB, 501x585px) Image search: [Google]
1404272385116.jpg
27KB, 501x585px
What is your opinion on David Irving?

He seems to have been an actual respected historian prior to going off the deep end and going full stormfront in the 1960s.

And now he's completely vilified by everybody.

I'm not a Holocaust denier by any means, but it is rather silly that nobody can express their opinion on it without being taken to court and slandered and blacklisted. It's like a self-fulfilling prophecy. Historian X says he believes the Holocaust is exaggerated. Subsequently, he's ridiculed and blacklisted by all major historical publishers. So when he goes to get a book on the topic published (hard enough to do since it's very hard to ask any kind of probing questions about the Holocaust in the areas it took place), the publisher declines and he has to go to a less-than-reputable publisher. And so when the book hits the market, all the historians scoff at it and point out that no reasonable publisher would take it, despite the fact that they were the ones that ensured that.

Again, not a Holocaust denier. But you'd be stupid if you thought that the Holocaust wasn't overplayed to hell for propaganda purposes following the war. There's a reason we don't hear some of the more ridiculous stories that were all the rave right after the war, like the lampshades made of skin or the hilariously infamous Holocaust-rollercoaster that led into an oven.
>>
>What is your opinion on David Irving?

I think David Irving should stop shilling himself on /his/
>>
>>1789673
Pretty sure Irving is probably in a nursing home by now. Not exactly hip to Tibetan cave painting forums
>>
>>1789676
Whatever you say, David
>>
File: 1474240011611.jpg (46KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1474240011611.jpg
46KB, 500x500px
>>1789660

While David was wrong with many of his claims, what happened to him showed why I don't like Jews. Will the average American student ever hear about the other, far worse atrocities that Germany committed, like the 20-25 million civilians murdered in Eastern Europe or the mass rape committed in the USSR? No, because its all about those 6 million goy, nothing else matters.

T. Slav
>>
>>1789700
There's definitely a major selective bias in the way WW2 is taught.

I don't think there's any malice in Holocaust overrepresentation. If ethnic Poles were as prominent as Jews in American society, Americans would probably be as familiar with Katyn as they are of Auschwitz.
>>
>>1789700
Anon: I really, really, really like this image.
>>
>>1789660

The problem with Irving is that he literally abandons his historical disciplinary training to shill for Hitler. I had to read the Destruction of Dresden for a school assignment a while back. It is literally him misquoting his sources to come up with his conclusion that the Allies killed into the 6 figures; a lethality rate far above what they managed for Operation Gomorrah, despite fewer bombers dropping less tonnage in worse weather along a less dense target.

Maybe he has dome some decent historical work (I haven't read it, but the Mare's Nest is supposed to be very good), but he also can't be objective and will shill.
>>
>>1789729
Yeah, I agree. An historian who can't stay objective about the topic he's writing just comes off as a lunatic.

But at the same time, you have to admit that he's sort of a product of his persecution. I mean, if Irving were given a legitimate stage to calmly express his opinions and do his research without bureaucratic red tape, it's possible he could produce some quality works.

But when he's hounded by historians, Jewish activists, and world governments every step of the way, well it becomes rather hard to get anything done. It's this reason the only places he can give lectures are backroom stormfront meetings and conventions for people who think Jews are literally lizard people who run the New World Order.

Like I said, he's not a great historian by any means. But I can't help but think that if we just let people like him do their research in peace, and gave them a chance to discuss their findings without going in guns blazing trying to discredit every word that comes out of their mouth, we might actually get some good historical knowledge out of it.

But it's kind of an unfortunate reality that in the wake of large historical events, it's sorta hard to get the full picture until a great deal of time has passed and the factions involved don't really have much to lose.

For example, the sinking of the USS Maine is just now being examined in earnest as either an accident or a deliberate plot by the US government to force our entry into the war. Trying to make such a claim during WWI, WWII, or god forbid, at the time of the incident would have been unheard of. You would have been labeled all sorts of subversive slurs.

The patient has to die before you can perform an autopsy.
>>
>>1789705

But there are probably more ethnic slavs in the US then Jews, its just that they have an outsized influence in most aspects of our society. That and there was a massive effort carried out after the end of the war called Clean Wehrmacht. The objective was to wipe any mention of German War Crimes in Eastern Europe and to try to pin the blame for the Holocaust solely on the German leadership. This accomplished two things, it set the stage for West Germany's re-arming and it made it easier to depict the USSR as "The Horde from the East". Its exactly why there is so much Nazi tech wanking online and why shit like enemy at the gates and COH 2 are respected media. Im actually working on a podcast about the Eastern Front for my senior project, because these men who fought and died to defeat Germany deserve better then to be depicted as mindless human wave orcs.

Sorry about the blog post, I just get really fucking angry when the topic comes up.
>>
>>1789705
>>1789700
Part of the focus on the Holocaust is how it was done. To be honest, there wasn't anything new about the way the Japanese rampaged through Nanking or how the Nazis cruelly tried to wage a fucktarded form of COIN. But the Holocaust was the most efficient and and industrial form of genocide ever implemented upon humanity.

It's at once overrated and completely underrated.
>>
>>1789711

Thanks, I just plucked it off of one of those /his/ meme threads.
>>
>>1789785

I'm not saying that the USSR was not a rival to the U.S, but the Cold War created quite a few borderline racist (inb4 dats rayist) impressions about Slavs and specifically Russia.
>>
>>1789761

>Yeah, I agree. An historian who can't stay objective about the topic he's writing just comes off as a lunatic.

In his case, more of a shill, but yes.

>But at the same time, you have to admit that he's sort of a product of his persecution. I mean, if Irving were given a legitimate stage to calmly express his opinions and do his research without bureaucratic red tape, it's possible he could produce some quality works.

I am less sure of this. One of the reasons I brought up the Destruction of Dresden is that for years, it was considered a hallmark work. It was written in 1963, long before he hit the world stage for his opinions. Until the late 80s or early 90s, it was considered very authoritative, and it was really the reverse; with more critical attention being paid to his products, that you had people running around and double checking and finding out things that like Funfack was not actually a senior medical personage in Dresden's civil emergency sector.

So no, I don't think that his deterioration has to do with the world prosecuting him. I think he was pretty much always a shill, or at least slanted. I don't think he's a particularly good historian; I think at best he's a decent researcher, but that becomes a double-edged sword when dealing with someone like him. If he turns up some sort of hitherto unfound archival material, can you really trust him that it's legit?

>Trying to make such a claim during WWI, WWII, or god forbid, at the time of the incident would have been unheard of. You would have been labeled all sorts of subversive slurs.

>The patient has to die before you can perform an autopsy.

AFAIK, he first started generating serious controversy with Hitler's War, that came out in 1977. That's a good 14 years of publication history between his first scholarly work and HW. Errors and biases that predate such make me very, very skeptical towards Mr. Irving.
>>
>>1789660
If only there were some kind of archives where German military and Nazi party documents were stored.
>>
>>1789705
The reason why holocaust is highlighted is because it represents the modernity machine par excellence. Muh 6 million was an addition that overtook the spolight, instead of the real reason above. The problem should have been 'the modern machine', not the genocide of Jews as such.
>>
>>1789795
Do you mind if I save it?
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.