[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is it true that monogamy is a social construct? What purpose

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 4

File: monogamy.jpg (4KB, 256x197px) Image search: [Google]
monogamy.jpg
4KB, 256x197px
Is it true that monogamy is a social construct? What purpose does it serve?
>>
>>1787503
preventing literal beta uprisings
>>
A social structure so we dont fall into chaos. We owe every progress we have made to it
>>
>>1787547
Gays say otherwise.
>>
It was an exchange

Woman agrees to ignore her hypergamus instincts to have a steady supply of resources, beta man agrees to share resources in return for sexual loyalty and certain paternity

Among more powerful people it was to secure alliances
>>
>>1787503
I prefer the romantic image of it.
Don't care about whether or not it's a social construct, and whether it's beneficial to society.
>>
>>1787587
Gay Chinese people still get married for family duty and just keep a same sex lover around
>>
>>1787587
Has a civilization ever been build by married gays? Didn't think so
>>
>>1787503
Monogamy is the smallest unit of procreation possible and as such will be more numerous. This was taken to the point where it because a norm and deviating outside of the norm is always taboo
>>
>>1787587
well that's their problem...
>>
>>1787529

Literally this.Look at societies that don't practise it. The Muslamic world has polygamy, and it results in all the young women being married off (often in childhood because no age of consent in Islam) to older, richer men, leaving large numbers of restless young men destabilising society. Many African countries don't have polygamy, but have relationships where a single woman will have multiple "baby daddies" who essentially take turns with her sexually but have no legal obligations towards the resulting children. This leads to terrible poverty for many women who must struggle to pay for their kids alone, and systematic problems among African males, far too many of whom are raised by single mothers with all the problems that entails.
>>
>>1787866
But polygamy is rare even in the Islamic world.
>>
>>1787503
No it was created by God in the beginning. Polygamous modes are the deviation.
>>
>>1787889

Depends how you define rare, even a rate of 10 or 20% will create the kind of sex ratio disparities I'm talking about.
>>
File: poly1.jpg (47KB, 600x422px) Image search: [Google]
poly1.jpg
47KB, 600x422px
>>1787895
>>1787889
>>
>>1787866
Correction

African cultures are traditionally polygamous, but monogamous in practice because a man has to be wealthy enough to care for multiple wives.

You're thinking of African-Americans

t. Ashanti
>>
>>1787924

No I'm thinking of South Africans and other Bantu speakers, idk about West Africa but if you say this is not the pattern there I'll take your word for it.
>>
File: golden lel 3d.jpg (128KB, 776x678px) Image search: [Google]
golden lel 3d.jpg
128KB, 776x678px
>>1787914
>usa
>france
>>
>>1787970

Apparently polygamy is legal for some native Americans. The French are just degenerates, I'm only surprised there are that many Frenchmen interested in girls at all.
>>
Secure environment to raise a family and prevention of disease. If you're constantly sleeping around it creates a unstable family environment and few men are going to invest into a relationship when they don't know who is the real father of their kids. If you expect a partner to invest financially and emotionally in a relationship, you have to give something back.
>>
>>1787503
Everything is a "social construct", stop asking this pointless question.
>>
>>1787529
This. Monogamy keeps men from accumulating all women and leaving large swaths of angry, isolated men. This sounds kinda dumb but it's true. With monogamy becoming more and more ridiculed I'm feeling more and more nervous for the future
>>
File: large.jpg (44KB, 600x400px) Image search: [Google]
large.jpg
44KB, 600x400px
>>1789024
>normies will get slaughtered in the near future
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.