[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What were the main problems he faced in his conquest of the India's?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 4

File: alex_greg_matenkoski.jpg (55KB, 240x330px) Image search: [Google]
alex_greg_matenkoski.jpg
55KB, 240x330px
What were the main problems he faced in his conquest of the India's? Why couldn't he conquer it as easily as others?

I read that his battle with Porus was his (allegedly) his toughest and most narrow one. Which is weird because he LITERALLY decimated the Persian Empire.
>>
lack of info
a fuckton of enemy troops
long distance
elephants

Persian Empire was in steady decline for decades and it was merely a shell of its former self by the time Alexander crossed the Hellespont
>>
>>1787134
The stench from an army of poo in the loos is unbeatable
>>
>Alex will never hug you
>>
>>1787134
Did he really have deviantart eyes?
>>
>>1787310
If you want to get into the semantics of it, he never really reached most of what would be known today as India. He was repelled before it.
>>
File: Alexander_the_Great_mosaic.jpg (249KB, 1200x1200px) Image search: [Google]
Alexander_the_Great_mosaic.jpg
249KB, 1200x1200px
>le Greeks were nordics revisionisim
>le blonde hair blue eye master race
>le white race destroyed persians xD

Fuck off.

WE
WUZ
CONQUERORS
N
SHIEEEEEEEEETTTT
>>
>>1787348
I try not to ask too many questions shout the Greeks here because I know how biased this place is.
>we da carriers of western civ n shiiiet
>>
>>1787348
How to spot a history pleb.

Alexander was a dirty blonde and this is accepted by many mainstream historians.
>>
>>1787373
Taking the word of modern mainstream historians over an actual mosaic art.

Stay cucked.
>>
>>1787384
I'd take actual sources over late Roman artistic representation any day.
>>
>>1787334

>repelled

Lol no. His army was sick of marching through the monsoon to get bumfuck nothing. They asked to turn back and he allowed it.

The Indian campaign was more difficult because it was not a uniform empire like Persia. There was no major language, no ruling king to go after. He basically had to march from one settlement to the next, taking pledges and fighting battles. And then he was nearly killed besieging the Mallian citadel.

There wasn't anything to really conquer in the region, and his troops lost morale. The Persian campaign had netted them riches beyond imagination. Now here they were in India fighting a bunch of savages for control of a muddy hill.
>>
>>1787394
>indians
>savages
>>
>>1787394
>savages
Was India really that bad in that point of history? Wasn't there later contact between the Greeks and the Indians where a lot of Greeks converted to Buddhism?

Pretty Eurocentric desu.

>>1787393
Which source?

>>1787368
You just gotta take everything with a grain of salt.
>>
>>1787421
>Which source?
Arrian and Plutarch come to mind.
>>
>>1787134
Daily reminder Poros was just literally one Raja among Northern India's collection of angry petty kings and it was already fucking hard.
>>
>>1787432
The pompeiian mosaic was a copy of a Greek original senpai.
>>
File: iskender.jpg (1MB, 1838x1080px) Image search: [Google]
iskender.jpg
1MB, 1838x1080px
Original Macedonian mosaic before Roman altering and white people trying to steal our history.
>>
>>1787458
So? That literally proves nothing.
Again, sources>art.
>>
>>1787334
India back then extended to Afghanistan.
>>
>>1787432
>Arrian
If I'm not wrong he was born quite a while after Alexander died didn't he? By a few centuries. His accounts are from first hand accounts of other soldiers which could have been altered.

I'm speaking generally for all of his accounts, not just Alexander's hair. It seems to me that Alexander just had something similar to light brown hair, which would give a golden tint if there was sunlight.

>>1787434
Are you Indian? Rajas means king right?

And that's not all. Alexander's army fled because (apparently) the battle with Porus was the most taxing/dangerous on them so far in the India's. They were about to cross some river before they got reports of some other big shot (I forgot his name but he united India for first time after) with ten times as many men and elephants.
So it's understandable to see why they fled.
>>
>>1787496
No not Indian. Yes, Raja means king. Basic Asian history.
>>
>>1787421
>Wasn't there later contact between the Greeks and the Indians where a lot of Greeks converted to Buddhism?

The only Greek converts were in already Buddhist areas in Pakistan and Afghanistan. The shits went native.
>>
>>1787496
Arrian is considered to be one of the most credible biographers of Alexander.

Both him and Plutarch describe Alexander of having "fair hair" and compare it to a mane of a lion.

It is not wrong to believe Alexander had lighter hair. He was born in the mountainous Macedonia, on the far north of Greek world. If anything Macedonians were genetically closer to other Balkanian tribes than to Greeks.
>>
>>1787421
>Was India really that bad
This wasn't really "India"

It was a tribal backwater full of petty lords who were somewhat of "indian" descent.

It's not like he was marching into Delhi or anything.
>>
>>1787404
>>1787421

Dispersed tribes occupied most of his fighting during the Indian campaign. They were vicious peoples at ease with treason, and had to be bludgeoned into submission. Look at modern day Pakistan for an idea of what Alexander had to contend with. They are some of the worst people on earth.
>>
>>1787543
Alexander was half-molossian.
>>
Afghanistan has always been the graveyard of empires.
>>
>>1787586
STFU Eternal Anglo, just because you failed, doesn't mean it is.

Besides the place also was home to empires of itself like the Greco-Bactrian Kingdom which carried on a well integrated Empire of both Greek and Local entities.
>>
>>1787586
Only bongs and slavs failed in taking Afghanistan, everybody else did.
>>
File: Asian_lion_3.jpg (200KB, 640x427px) Image search: [Google]
Asian_lion_3.jpg
200KB, 640x427px
>>1787543
>compare it to a mane of a lion.

I hope you realize that they are referring to the Asiatic lion seeing the land they conquered, and not the African Lions we know today.
>>
>>1787496
Chandragupta Maurya I'm guessing.
>>
>>1787134
His domain was already overstretched conquering India didn't make any sense at all especially considering the fact the Macedonian Empire's core was so far from the Indian subcontinent.
>>
>>1787134
All this bad history ITT:
To quote Plutarch
>they [Alexander's Army] violently opposed Alexander when he insisted on crossing the river Ganges...
>For they were told that the kings of the Ganderites and Praesii were awaiting them with eighty thousand horsemen, two hundred thousand footmen, eight thousand chariots, and six thousand fighting elephants. And there was no boasting in these reports. For Androcottus, who reigned there not long afterwards, made a present to Seleucus of five hundred elephants, and with an army of six hundred thousand men overran and subdued all India.
Translation: An extraordinarily massive army was waiting for them on the banks of Ganga.

Alexander's army was having trouble fighting in the heat and humidities of India. It was tearing them down the same way the Russian winter would take down (most) invaders. They won DECISIVELY against Porus, but it was still one of the toughest battles Alexander/his army had had.

The Nanda Empire was pretty beastly as well. Iirc they were one of the best in India. Their armour probably wasn't as good but that's normal considering the temperatures they were fighting in. If they discarded it they would have been even more out of their element.

It's not like the Indians were retards anyways. The first emperor of India defeated Seleucus, one of Alexander's best generals and his large army.

Alexander was good. But just not good enough to fight an imperial power in a foreign land good.
>>
>>1787607
There were lions in Europe in antiquity.
>>
>>1787623

His army wanted to turn back. He was for pressing on. He could have raised more troops as well. And numbers don't mean anything. It's the quality of command that matters. Alexander was used to being grossly outnumbered, and by then his own army was at maximum size.
>>
>going to the east instead of going north
why????
>>
>>1787697
>Go north of Persia.
>STEPPENEGROES. STEPPENEGROES EVERYWHERE
>ERRYDAY
>ALL DAY.
>>
>>1787607
Lions existed in europe back then
>>
>>1787655
>His army wanted to turn back. He was for pressing on.
He was also gravely injured a while back. He kinda broke the unbeatable trope he had around himself then so I cant blame his army for choosingq self-preservation.

>He could have raised more troops as well. And numbers don't mean anything. It's the quality of command that matters. Alexander was used to being grossly outnumbered, and by then his own army was at maximum size.
Well yea but that's what if's now.
>>
>>1787703
Or they could go north of Greece... or WEST of Greece
>>
>>1787697
Because the Hellenic Botherers lived in Persia and his daddy did promise to take the Greeks to bloody Persia.

There was nothing in the North save for easily containable Illyrian/Thracian Barbarians. Though the tendrils of the impending devastating Celtic Migration already were creeping during Alexander's day.
>>
>>1787134
He should've just stopped at conquering Persia and headed back west like he planned. He could've had a Mediterranean empire too. Like Rome on steroids.
>>
>>1787134
Greeks and Macedonians weren't as climatically adaptable to the humid and tropical locale of the Hindu region compared to the Persians.
Thread posts: 44
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.