[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why did they kill him? They didnt kill Sulla, for claiming a

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 5

File: julius_caesar2[1].jpg (42KB, 260x355px) Image search: [Google]
julius_caesar2[1].jpg
42KB, 260x355px
Why did they kill him? They didnt kill Sulla, for claiming a dictatorship, what made them think Caesar wouldnt retire as well?
>>
> sulla

>"retired"

Hueueueuueue
>>
>>1787054
i might be missing vital information. im fairly new to the topic, but i do remember reading that he retired
>>
>>1787070
He died of old age after resiezing the republic by force at the age of like 78 or some shit
>>
>>1787032
Because at the end of the day Sulla was still a conservative and Julius was a populist. Sulla reformed the government to stop people from doing what he had done.

Sulla struck fear into Rome by slaughtering a metric fuckton of people. Julius tried to win over his foes with kindness and love.
>>
Because if Sulla had been in Caesar's place then most of the conspirators would be dead.

No conspirators, no conspiracy.
>>
>>1787032
Sulla was too manly for people to think about killing. This little bitch was a piece of cake.
>>
>>1787086
>Sulla reformed the government to stop people from doing what he had done.
So why could Caesar do it?
>>
>>1787032
sulla never put himself in a position to be assasinated
>>
was getting assassinated part of his plan?
>>
>>1787522
no

but seriously what the fuck did brutus and cicero expect to happen after they killed him, that everything would go back to "normal"?
>>
>>1787497
Because the laws and policies he enacted were ultimately chipped away at and ignored.
>>
>>1787032
He didn't resign.

Sulla did.

Sulla was smart enough to not behave like a king in a Republic.

Caesar wasn't.
>>
>>1787522
According to some yes. He knew it was inevitable
>>
>>1787563
I read that Sulla resigned because he had grown tired of his position, and wanted to spend the rwst of his life lavishly
>>
File: 1451261318977.png (2MB, 1919x816px) Image search: [Google]
1451261318977.png
2MB, 1919x816px
>>1787522
It's treason, then
>>
>>1787573
He still possessed a large amount of influence over Senate, which he filled with his supporters. He pretty much continued to move pieces from the shadows.
>>
>>1787590
I agree, because why wouldn't he? He needed to ensure all his work didn't go to shit.
>>
>that little shit who convinced Sulla to spare Caesar

He even warned them of their foolishness in doing so.
>>
>>1787578
AUGUSTUS, I KNEW IT WOULD COME TO THIS!
THE SENATORS ARE TAKING OVER!
>>
>>1787032
>what made them think Caesar wouldnt retire as well?

Yeah, no, Caesar was a narcissist there's no way he'd have relinquished power.
>>
>>1787753
so what was the next step of his master plan? Was it always to leave it to Octavian or would it revert back to the corrupt aristocracy he loathed after his death?
>>
>>1787538
>but seriously what the fuck did brutus and cicero expect to happen after they killed him, that everything would go back to "normal"?

Rich as fuck people surrounded by flatterers and clients and having no touch with actual popular moods. I guess that never ever happened again.
>>
>>1787772
Since I've watched the TV show Rome I can safely say that Octavian organized the whole backstabbing knowing it would end with him becoming Emperor. A god damn genius!
>>
>>1787032
success breeds jealous bitch niggas
>>
>>1787563
Caesar never acted like a king.
>>
File: 1463997585794.jpg (59KB, 620x387px) Image search: [Google]
1463997585794.jpg
59KB, 620x387px
>>1787497
Laws can't protect you from an army crossing the rubicon
>>
>>1789251

his whole stunt with rejecting the crown only made things worse for him.
>>
>>1789270
No, it had more to do with Caesar not being a fan of plebeian activities like the gladiator games or chariot races. Which we know he would frequently read from a newspaper or do Senate business with, which caused alienation towards at some points. Some people perceived him as acting "holier than thou" or "too smart" to enjoy simple Roman past times like those.
>>
They were jealous of his sucess and how he was loves by the people and how he loves them
>>
>>1789251

>Senators approach him
>Caesar remains seated on his GOLDEN THRONE
>Doesn't stand up to greet them

In a culture of honour like Rome, this was insanely important.
>>
>>1787032
Caesar was about to leave to invade Parthia. It would be their only chance for years and if he was successful he would have been unmatched in greatness. Another thing is the conspirators didn't really think out their plan well. They had no plan for what to do after they killed Caesar, and they thought the public opinion would be on their side.
>>
>>1787032
Sulla literally slaughtered all his opposition, whereas Caesar empowered his own enemies. Caesar wasn't murdered because he was seen as a tyrant (tho that was the excuse), he was murdered because he pursued extremely controversial policies.
>>
>>1787497
Sulla didn't do a very good job. 99% of his reforms were rolled back within a decade of his death.
>>
>>1789264
Also this kek
>>
File: HistoricalAccuracy.png (17KB, 975x298px) Image search: [Google]
HistoricalAccuracy.png
17KB, 975x298px
>>1787032
He was under the control of medusa after she used her pheromones on him.
They had to put him down.
>>
File: 8-ctesiphon-5000-years-old-iraq.jpg (816KB, 2520x1872px) Image search: [Google]
8-ctesiphon-5000-years-old-iraq.jpg
816KB, 2520x1872px
>>1787032
>what made them think Caesar wouldnt retire as well?
Everything he did. The divine cult around himself he promoted, the 'spontaneous' attempts by people to crown him king all point to his ambition to be a king. If he could have pulled off a Parthian Campaign, he would have been a conqueror of the West and East, and popular enough to pull it off.
>>
>>1791924
>If he could've
>If he could
>If
>>
>>1787538
Cicero wasn't even part of that though
>>
>>1791924
Rome didnt have the power to conquer the parthians let alone the sassanians

If only the achaemenids would have conquer all of central asia and united with their scythians brothers
Thread posts: 40
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.