[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Has there ever been a Pope that wasn't a total powerhungry

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 2

Has there ever been a Pope that wasn't a total powerhungry scumbag? It seems like throughout history the Pope and the Papacy have either been entirely incompetent or scum fighting against Christians because they feared losing power
>>
>>1786473
Look

Here's the thing

The Pope is right, and you're wrong

Now pay your indulgences you stupid retard.

t. Johann Tetzel
>>
>>1786473

Power is power, it attracts the absolute worst people like flies to delicious cake. Only when religious authority is strictly limited temporally, as in the Eastern Empire and Vatican City since WW2, does the title lose its appeal to power-hungry narcissists and psychopaths.
>>
>Has there ever been a Pope that wasn't a total powerhungry scumbag?
yes.
>>
>>1786473

Absolutely; also, if you put them in the history flow, many of them were the most illuminate ruler in Europe at their time.

Even the infamous Leo X was an extraordinary good-hearthed ruler and diplomat even if he allowed the spread of the Reform.

Also the guy in your pic, Pius VII, was a brave man in a stormy time.

To me, the most brilliant Pope in modern history is Benedictus XIV.
>>
Why would you call a power hungry person a psychopath? They might just be like Bismarck.

You wouldn't call Bismarck more insane than Wilhelm II, would you?
>>
>>1786473
>Has there ever been a Pope that wasn't a total powerhungry scumbag

Has there ever been a Protestant who knows more about history than a handful of episodes that confirm his narratives?
>>
While OP is exaggerating, it's interesting that the Catholic Church has, whenever more corrupt than it's neighbors or not, been prone to corruption, using its religious power for its own ends and tried to expand its secular domain on the cost of others.
Isn't it weird that a man that's the vicar of Christ on Earth have had such a big greed and lust for worldly power that he even was ready to try to wrestle the authority over Italy out of the hands of the emperor?
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.