[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What was gender like for the non-european world before western

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 3

File: 1475028804757.jpg (116KB, 500x395px) Image search: [Google]
1475028804757.jpg
116KB, 500x395px
What was gender like for the non-european world before western colonialization?

I just got off the phone with my girlfriend who went to a university presentation where they talked about gender being more fluid in pre-colonial times.

To me it seemed like another example of what an anon here once said as "cultural narcissism", which means to forget that cultures have existed independantly for thousands of years before contact.

So is there any truth to this?

Pic non related, couldnt think of anything relative to topic
>>
File: 1458746087416.jpg (73KB, 875x387px) Image search: [Google]
1458746087416.jpg
73KB, 875x387px
>>1780992

South Asia had three genders: male, female, and a middle (trans)gender.

Even today, Pakistan recognizes three genders; they even have three genders listed on their drivers licenses and passports.

Even though there is a ton of discrimination against homosexuals and homosexuality in modern day Pakistan, the middle gender/transgender population is left alone by the conservatives, Islamists, leftists, everyone really.

t. Paki
>>
File: barberinifaun.jpg (67KB, 550x891px) Image search: [Google]
barberinifaun.jpg
67KB, 550x891px
male, female and boipucci

the west tried to convert femboys into men because they are biologically the same except for their behavior and in theory that would increase the proportion of the population suitable for hard labor, expeditions and war, but in reality it just became quid pro quo
>>
Why does if feel like more men have wanted to be women than women wanting to be men?

There's seems to be a history of men wanting to be women but not the other way around. Why is that so? Or am I wrong about this assumption?
>>
>>1781047

it's easier to be a woman

>don't have to go to war
>less/easier manual labor
>society is nicer to you
>easier to live out your homosexual desires/tendencies
>>
>>1781047
It's an easy way to not have to be alive anymore without actually being dead.
>>
>>1781047
I'm dating a transman right now(ftm).
>>
>>1780992
>mongols map
>muh fluid gender

Jonh Green is that you?
>>
>>1781031
Don't they force homosexuals to become trannies in Iran?
>>
>>1781047
There is the 'sworn virgin' tradition in the Balkans but it was hardly voluntary

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Balkan_sworn_virgins
>>
>>1781047
life is easy mode if you're a woman living in the western world. if reincarnation is real i hope i'm reborn as a woman somewhere in france or germany.
>>
>>1781109
No, but transsexuals are expected to have reassignment surgery as soon as possible.
>>
When I made some study of the life of the prophet Mohamed a few years ago I was pretty surprised to find that he was actually something of a reactionary when it came to gender. In pre-islamic arabia women were allowed to own property and be the heads of households. Infact his first wife was a wealthy merchant who owned the caravan Mohamed worked on, marrying her allowed him to never have to worry about money again so he could pursue his poetry full time and write the Koran. However, had she lived under the rules he laid out in it she never would have been able to have acquired that wealth in the first place.

Additionally the concept of marriage in pre-islamic arabia was much less rigid than after the rise of islam. There were marriages not just of multiple women to one man, but of multiple men to one woman. This might sound odd but it was usually 2 or more brothers who would share a woman between them and go family style on her.

By the way, this is actually a practice that continues to this day in rural parts of Nepal.
>>
>>1781111
Enjoi being raped
>>
>>1781109
No they let you choose if you want to tranny it up or get hanged Tbh

Iran is so close to figuring out
>>
How is "life would be easier" any sort of justification for wanting to be the opposite sex

Life is not that hard for either gender. The gain of being a woman is so insubstantial compared to the incredible embarrassment of dressing up like a woman and hoping someone doesn't have the nerve to call you on it when you dare go out in public. If someone said to me "Put on this dress and makeup on the off chance people are a bit more pleasant" I would think them insane. Not least because people absolutely despise trannies.
>>
>>1781145
It's because it's an option that is easier than suicide.

Womanhood = non-sentience
>>
>>1781100
Why date a mockery when you can have the real thing *wink wink nudge nudge pelvic thrust thrust*.
>>
>>1781141
Yeah they just have to omit the former *edge intensifies*
>>
>>1781145
it's literally gonna become illegal to say anything negative to trannies.
>>
>>1781172
That's why I only love dick.
>>
>>1781105
This is an exception
>>
>>1781195
A-anon, that's not what I meant.
>>
>>1781100
Gross
>>
>>1780992
I'd like to see those sources. If we're talking about masculine or feminine qualities then sure, of course that was a thing. That has always been a thing in Europe as well. But are we talking about actual gender fluidity with socially accepted transgenderism? I doubt it but am interested in sources.
>>
>>1780992
Well a lot of languages do not have gender classifications such as he or she.
>>
>>1781120
isn't part of the problem with Islam the autism related to the hadith? i.e. scholarship that tries to figure out every single thing Mohammed ever said over the course of his life, on the assumption that just about every phrase he ever uttered could have been a message from God.

The actual Quran (at least according to people I know who've read the whole thing) seems to mostly consist of Mo saying vague, general stuff like 'be good to your fellow muslims' and shit like that. The prickly, intense and pedantic rules mostly seem to have been added later with the uncovering of more hadiths (i.e the prohibition on shaving seems to have originated by some throwaway comment Mohammed said to a friend one time recommending he shouldn't shave his beard for whatever reason)
>>
>>1781235

>But are we talking about actual gender fluidity with socially accepted transgenderism?

In some societies. I think the most famous historical European examples are the Femminiello from the Naples area which are now considered 'transgender' because of the new gender vocabulary we use but were just considered a 'third gender' before.
>>
>>1780992
>I just got off the phone with my girlfriend who went to a university presentation where they talked about gender being more fluid in pre-colonial times.
This is true for North America but not for South America, Africa or Australia.

South Asia and Polynesia still has their trannies so colonisation didn't change all that much.
>>
>>1781141
>No they let you choose if you want to tranny it up or get hanged Tbh
Sounds like /pol/: the country.
>>
>>1781190
If by literally you mean non-literally then, maaaaybe something lke that will happen
>>
>Generalizations: The Thread
>>
>>1781373
If only that were the only problematic part in Islam...
>>
>>1780992
>Map: King Béla of Hungary killed
Wtf is this shit?
>>
Buzzump
Thread posts: 35
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.