[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What have been historically the most influential cities in history

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 1

File: 1467047386883.png (35KB, 782x1734px) Image search: [Google]
1467047386883.png
35KB, 782x1734px
What have been historically the most influential cities in history and in what periods of time?

From recent to ancient:

>New York(?)
>London
>Paris
>Madrid(?) Mexico(?)
I'm not sure which one was the true center of the Spanish Empire while it was the dominant power.
>Constantinople(?) Baghdad(?)
>Rome
>Athens
>Pars
>???
>Uruk(?) Nineveh(?) Ur(?) Memphis(?)

Only counting the West and the Near East because China and India might as well have their own list(s).
>>
>>1780753
You can add Seleucia-Ctesiphon, for almost 200 years it was more populated and even wealthier then Constantinople when both the Byzantine and Sassanid Empires were at their height. Also Baghdad and Babylon.
>>
>>1780873
I have no idea which Near East cities were important at which times.
>>
>>1780753
Does New York or Washington, DC hold more influence on a cultural, economic and political scale?
>>
>>1780753
>Nineveh
>Babylon
>Athens
>Alexandria
>Carthage
>Rome
>Obligatory Chinese city
>Constantinople
>Ctesiphon
>Baghdad
>Cordoba
>Obligatory Chinese city
>Samarkand
>Paris
>Vienna
>London
>Some American city
>>
>>1780753
Persepolis and Susa for some time in the Persian Empire. No idea when Babylon became the capital
>>
>>1780753
>>1780988

Athens is without a doubt the most infuential city of ancient greece. But if you go further back you must recognize the impact that Ionian greeks had on philosophy and science. Prior to the persian invasion the Ionians were the most influential greeks and without them you wouldn't read dick about greeks today.

Ephesus, Miletus or some other city is by virtue of being older in it's scientific pursuits more influential than Athens.
>>
>>1780996

The Persian Empire had four capitals. Persepolis was the only one the Persians built with the intent of it being a majestic city just for the hell of it.

Ectebana, Susa/Elam and Babylon are the three others. They all served a specific purpose within the Persian Empire. Persepolis was it's religious capital and Babylon it's financial capital - which also housed the government. If I recall correctly, Ecbatana was the summer retreat of the King of Kings, as Persepolis and Babylon were much warmer back then.

Can't remember what Susa/Elam was for.
>>
>>1780753
>Madrid
>not lisbon
Whend will the relevance of spain stop being over hyped
Btw is would be Sevilha not madrid
>>
>>1780873
>all the same city
>>
>>1780988
>Uruk
>Akkad
>Ur
>Thebes
>Nineveh
>Babylon
>Athens
>Alexandria
>Carthage
>Chang'an ( Han dynasty Capital till 9 AD)
>Rome
>Nicomedia
>Constantinople
>Chang'an ( Tang dynasty this time )
>Baghdad
>Bianjing (Northern Song dynasty )
>Baghdad
>Avarga
>Karakorum
>Khanbaliq (Beijing)
>Cairo
>Nanjing
>Madrid
>Paris
> London
> New York
>>
>>1781410
When will the inferiority complex of Portugal stop being so big?
>>
>>1781596
>no Susa
>>
>>1780753
>that pic
It's funny because the romans despised greeks and easterners before conquering them. It was the victorious generals who brought eastern culture to Rome.
>>
>>1781596

>no Ionian greek city
>>
>>1781620
When was it at its peak? Because correct me if I am wrong but did it need a coalition to take down the Third Dynasty of Ur and then fall into a series of near endless wars of coalition against the same cities it 'won' against before hand? I am talking about the 21st thru 18th centuries BC here. It was the strongest power it its part of the world, but I would say that Egypt ( and thus Thebes) was more influential during that time.
>>
>>1781636
What Ionian greek city would you say was more influential then the governing and trade capital of the Persian Empire before the start of the Athenian golden age?
>>
>>1780982
New York for the first two, DC for the latter
>>
>>1780753
>Pars
Are you referring to Persepolis? Because I've always heard that even tho it was the capital, the real nevralgic centres of the achaemenid empire were Susa, Ecbatana and Babylon.
>>
>>1780982
>>1781702
The fact that New Yorkers are considered to have an accent, while the Southern Californian manner of speech is unaccented is proof that LA is the cultural capital of the US.
>>
>>1780753
Only two cities matter. Babylon and Jerusalem. Everyone is a citizen of one of those two.
>>
>>1781555
Baghdad was a village in the same province of Ctesiphon, Seleucia was gradually faded out and fell into ruin once Ctesiphon was built. None of those three are the same city.
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.