[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's a historical misconception that you either hear frequently

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

File: serveimage.png (3MB, 2356x2356px) Image search: [Google]
serveimage.png
3MB, 2356x2356px
What's a historical misconception that you either hear frequently or that bothers you?

Mine is people thinking that Socrates and Plato and Aristotle and folks like that lived at the same time as the Roman Empire.
>>
>>1779860
they didnt?
>>
>>1779866
no sweetheart
>>
>>1779870
what about that painting of diognes and ceaser meeting?
>>
All the ancient Greek texts we have today were preserved by the Arabs.
>>
>>1779880
Dio met Alex the Gr8, not Ceaser.
>>
>>1779893
>Alex the Gr8
who?
>>
>>1779860
I've never met anyone believing that
>>
>>1779893
>dio met Alexander
Nice meme
>>
>>1779860

>If Hitler hadn't made [insert mistake here] he'd have conquered the world!

Double points because the said "Mistake" usually isn't one of Hitler's actual blunders, or at the very least the proposed alternative is usually retarded.
>>
File: link is this nigga serious.jpg (21KB, 281x301px) Image search: [Google]
link is this nigga serious.jpg
21KB, 281x301px
>like 300 conquistadors took down the entire Aztec empire!!!11!!
>>
>>1780020
clearly this is a goofy statement, but, by chance, do you know how many it really took? a few thousand? tens of thousands?
>>
>>1779860
>Napoleon was overrated/poor mans Hitler/etc
Most history laymen seem to think this.
>>
>>1780031
Not him, but it was roughly 100 conquistadors and literally every tribe in Central Mexico that weren't the Mexica.
>>
>>1780043
This is a history board, you should know at least the basics.
>>
>>1780031
There were about 3000 conquistadors IIRC, but the important part was that Spanish had allied themselves with a neighboring confederacy (The Tlaxcalans) that hated the Aztecs, and had a massive army just as big as the Aztecs, and the Spainish/Tlaxcalan assault only occurred after the Aztecs had already BTFO the spainish out of their capital and then smallpox ravaged the aztecs for 10 months before said assault began.

So it was actually "200,000 smallpox famine ridden aztecs vs 200,000 Tlaxcalans & 3000 Spainards".
>>
>>1780051
Accidentally a zero. 1000 conquistadores.

>>1780056
>There were about 3000 conquistadors IIRC
Not even close. Even the most liberal estimates don't reach 2000.
>>
>>1780063
Yeah, I double checked after I posted that and was gonna correct myself.

In any case my point was that the Aztec's downfall had way, way more to do with the smallpox and Tlaxcalan army then it did the Spainish, and if it was just the Spainish it wouldn't have been an issue.

hell the Aztecs had multiple chances to kill pretty much all of cortes's forces before they even got into Aztec territory but Montezuma II was being a dumbass.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.